Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cliff perkins

poor home water pressure
« on: December 20, 2013, 05:47:03 pm »
hi
i just got my keys to my new house today and went around for a quick butchers before i re decorate it all.
while i was around there i thought i would look at my water pressure by hooking it up to my van,well the water pressure is 20psi so its half of what i was getting and to be honest its really pants.
my question is has anybody else put a water booster in the home to boost the lot and what pump did they use to connect to the mains.
any help really appreciated as i can't live there with a 20psi inlet it take a week to fill my tank up at that rate.
regards
Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

dannymack

Re: poor home water pressure
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »
Depends what system you have if its a 300 GPD or max 450GPD then get the Aquatech 8800 booster pump, if you've got the 4040 them you gonna need a bigger booster pump the Clarke BPT600 1" that will do the job, wouldn't worry to
Much a booster will soon get ya tank filled up alot quicker and prolong the life of the pre filters and resin life should last a lil longer 👳👳👳🌲🌲🌲

Cliff perkins

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:12:05 pm »
hi danny
i was looking for something that i can plumb into my house directly into the mains.that can do the whole house and also run to the outside tap that i will connect up my reverse osmosis to.
i have a 4040 set up with 2 x 20 inch pre filters
regards

Simon Mess

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:17:38 pm »
I lived in a rented house recently which, when we moved in, had terrible water pressure. I got onto the landlord, they got on to the council, and after a lot of faffing about, it was eventually rectified. I think it was one of the connections between the house and street that was the culprit. Even after it was 'fixed' it wasnt that great, and i know there was a booster pump for the shower. My r/o has 2 built in pumps though, so not a problem :)

STEVE-UK

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:24:03 pm »
Is everyone aware that you cannot connect these large booster pumps directly to the mains, A break tank is required

see link -http://www.pumpexpress.co.uk/pump_ex_whole_house_boosting.htm

STEVE-UK

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:26:40 pm »
Im pretty sure the pump in this link is the highest spec'd pump that can be connected directly to the mains
http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/pumps/home-boosthttp://

Cliff perkins

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 07:04:21 pm »
hi steve
any direct links with a price would be a great help mate  ;)
regards

Frankybadboy

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 08:19:13 pm »
cliff try opening up the stop tap in the road first ;)

robert mitchell

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:26:28 pm »
And check the stop cock in the house is fully open .

There is a pump designed to plumb into your main incoming water pipe to boost whole house , can't remember pressure though .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

robert mitchell

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:28:17 pm »
I have the same pressure at home and just use a booster pump for the ro ,simplest option I think.

James Bulton

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 10:02:40 am »
There is a limit to a pump`s suction as they can flatten the copper pipes, I recall something on the 12 liters per minute., But check it out or it could be a problem. 

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 11:00:32 am »
Due to a large area of the countries water pipes being over a hundred years old and leaking like a sieve, the water companies have reduced the pressure of our house supplies, which in turn reduces leaks and helps them.

robert mitchell

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 01:40:32 pm »
There is a limit to a pump`s suction as they can flatten the copper pipes, I recall something on the 12 liters per minute., But check it out or it could be a problem. 

Where do you get that from ?

If you sealed on end of the pipe and had a very powerful pump on the end maybe .

My shower pump runs at 40 litres per minute .

My booster pump is 80 psi and around 60 Lpm and is attached to 15 mm copper pipe then Normal hose pipe .

The cheap hose doesn't even collapse .

Cliff perkins

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 08:01:34 am »

I will have a look franky but i asked a neighbour if they had bad pressure and they said they did aswell.

Cliff perkins

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 08:09:01 am »
Thanks have checked the stop cock in house as i turned that on and off as fitting new bathroom suite at the moment.
Havnt checked the road stop cock but will check that.
Ive gotta put some isolator valves in today as didnt have any before into bathroom area.
Then will rip suite out and turn water back on. (Check rd cock)

Any old plumbers out there know off a booster with link to use.(quiet 1)

Regards

spongebob

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 08:50:05 am »
That salamander boost is the only one on the market right now. Connects to your incoming main and connects to a power source. As has been said you cannot connect any old pump. The boost pump is legal to use. I have fitted a few now and they work well. You should get 12 ish litres if not already and 1 bar pressure. They have been made to overcome combi boilers being fitted where there isn't enough flow or pressure to make them operate.
You have 20psi though. 1 bar is 15psi. Can you measure your flow rate. Fill a known container such as a bucket or 25 litre container and time it. If you have good flow rate then you would be able to use a good booster pump for the van supply. If it is poor then a pump would end up sucking air.
Also use full bore isolating valves either slotted or lever for the bathroom job. If you use normal cheap ones with water problems like that it will be even worse.
Andy

Cliff perkins

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 09:40:22 am »
Cheers will measure water flow asap and post it up.
Thanks for isolator tip.

Cliff perkins

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 06:29:40 pm »
Hi
I timed it today from kitchen sink and it was 2 minutes 20 to fill a 10 litre bucket
I timed the outside tap and that was 50 seconds to quicker.
I also found out that the bloke before had used one of then self piercing kits that you clamp onto a pipe to feed the outside tap.
Would my pressure go up much if take that off and fit proper john guest fittings.

Tried stop cock indoors fully. Unwound.
Couldnt find the stop cock outside and the 1 i did find and turn didnt do anything lol.

Call to the water board needed i think.

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 07:11:38 pm »
Hi,

My water pressure at home was 40psi and the Ionic vans wouldn't even fill up at this pressure. Our Pure Freedom twin RO vans would fill up, albeit quite slowly.

We fitted one of these and the pressure is now 120psi.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbm240e-1in-multi-stage-230v-booster-pum

Works great & not expensive.

tlwcs

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 07:17:09 pm »
+1