This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smudger

System killing batteries.. Help!
« on: April 24, 2010, 04:08:13 pm »
Ok guys -  looking for some help/advise on whats happening with me system....

In Feb I noticed the battery life was not as good as it had been – I put this down to the cold weather as was going to get a new one – when I checked the batt, the fluid was low so topped it upand tested it all OK  and things seemed to improve,  but this last week I am barely getting 45 mins out of it before the pump starts to cut out.

If I start the van up all is OK – but this is now using diesel,  Yesterday after the leisure batt died (110A -  large size) I used the van batt without running the engine – this also lasted about 40 mins – then I needed a jump start.

Today I ran the engine while cleaning for 15 min periods just to keep things going, but the flow rate was pathetic – I could pee quicker and needed to turn the dial right up as per photo to get a decent squirt of water.

SO WHY IS THE SYSTEM USING SO MUCH POWER ?

I have noticed that the flow varies from day to day – some days its gentle and others the water really fizzes out.

If I turn the flow off using an in line tap the pump will cut out, but usually it will blow off a pipe or connector.

Thanks  Darran

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

daz1977

Re: System killing batteries.. Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:26:08 pm »
from what u have said, i take it that your wc battery is connected to the van battery and alt,   u might have a bad van battery, and it is taking all the power ur van beeds from ur wc battery,  try disconnecting it and running it and charging from a battery charger  so that it is indepentant  adn see how that goes becasue if it is ok u have a knackered van abttery or alt

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 04:48:11 pm »
I believe the van batt is OK as is alternator as i needed a new starter motor in Jan and both were tested,

yes the Batt is charged from the van, but when the ignition is off or key taken out only the leisure batt is operational there is a relay and fuse in engine bay. 

not sure that van demands would be able to pull back the power ? - if so why would would van start ok when leisure batt dead if van batt dodgy ?

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:23:08 pm »
You have a different type of system to me but when something like this happens to me, it usually means the fuse has popped.  I have no varistream.  I have three fuses.  WhAat I have done in the past is to fully charge the leisure battery and replace any popped fuses.  I do use a split charge relay but even with that, I find it a good idea to remove the battery for a manual charge sometimes.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 05:31:11 pm »
Hi Paul, i've had a fuse pop a long time ago - this stopped the whole thing working until replaced, but i will check.

most of my stuff is rural so on the go most of the day betwwen cleans and usually a 3 to 5 mile drive to start of round and then return so i thought there was enough time to charge it all up.

i will check fuses now

thanks

Darran

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:50:15 pm »
What are the ages of the batteries?
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 05:59:17 pm »
Not sure on the van batt.

but the leisure batt is an M-tec and is marked up Nov 2008

Darran

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 06:21:59 pm »
I have the same varistream model as you. The old mk2 not digital.  On the inside is a blue dial that sets the pressure your pump cuts off at.  If your pressure is high enough to blow off hoselocks then it would seem that the pressure is too high.  What's happening is your varistream is telling the pump to continue pumping for several seconds after the hose is closed, when the pump tries pumping against a closed hose it will draw so many more amps and eventually this will kill the battery.  I've even found that the blue dial needs adjusting depending on the time of year.  Hope you solve the problem.

Simon.

dmlservices

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 06:31:54 pm »
 i have the same varistream , and i've noticed i have to adjust blue dial every now and then .

daz

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 07:19:04 pm »
Cheers simon - i will go and have a look and adjust

hopefully this will solve the problem.

Darran

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 07:27:22 pm »
 :)  just altered the little blue thingy.

much better, pump snaps off very quickly now,  not the horrible roooo, rooo, rooo, rooooo i was getting then POP and water all over the show!

hope this helps the batt life. :-*

Darran

perfectpanesplymouth

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 12:00:35 am »
i would say the leisure battery is shagged

Londoner

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 08:05:46 am »
Leisure batteries don't last long. I just gave up on them and buy the cheapest car battery at the local  tyre and exaust place. Its about £36 and it lasts a lot longer.

windowswashed

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 08:08:08 am »
i would say the leisure battery is shagged

me too! Time for a new one. I done away with using the varistream flow controller.

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 08:56:16 am »
so why dont the leisure batts last that long ?

Darran

STEVE-UK

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 09:29:35 am »
firstly i would double check the varistream is wired correctly, then check for a short in the power cables to pump and varistream( worn section of cable where the copper is bare and could be touching the van), if none of these contact these people in case you have a faulty pump / Varistream www.wmcpumps.com/wpl/contact.htm

Do you have a 100 psi shurflo pump?

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 10:01:39 am »
Hi Steve - yes its a 100 psi shurflo.

i got the system s/hand already wired up so i have no instructions on if the controller is wired correctly othe than black wires to black on the pump and red to red.

i was using a remote but took this out in case i was getting a drain or a short in the system

unfortunatly electronics is not one of my strong suits.

Darran

ray l

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 11:00:15 am »
I had simmilar problems a few months ago with battery running low quickly.

After some advice from here and a local mechanic

I bought a battery charger and every evening I put liesure battery on charge.

I wasn,t doing enough driving to keep both batteries fully charged.

The system was 4 year old before I started doing this and the problem only started a month or too
before. (I might have changed the battery once a year prior to this )Hopefully wont need that expense
any more.

ray l

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 11:36:06 am »
Yes it was me who posted last but I was thinking and

1 ) Check your fuses to make sure they are all pushed in tight.

2 ) Check spade connections that thay are tight

3 ) check conections of spade connectors , no loose wires

when I bought the battery charger I also bought a cheep volt meter so now I can look
  and check voltage of thebattery and look for any drop in the system to find a fault
   the battery charger cost £15 and volt meter £8, well spent.

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 02:35:10 pm »
Ray -  been through all the connections and fuses today so everything is good - will take van for a spin then see if it holds a charge tomorrow.

Darran