Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Matthew JN

HOW DO YOU PRODUCE PURE WATER IF YOU LIVE IN A FLAT ?
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:17:55 am »
Hi

If you are use WFP and live in a flat and don't have access to an outside tap. What is the best way to get your van tank filled with pure water ???

p1w1

Re: HOW DO YOU PRODUCE PURE WATER IF YOU LIVE IN A FLAT ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:34:45 am »
only option is to rent a lock up or maybe run a hose out your window really
paul

ivesonswc

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:41:36 am »
water hydrant contact the water board ;) not surewhat is cost though

Darranvps

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:53:40 am »
Long hose pipe or McDonalds - park up connect to their outside tap, and have a burger for a couple of hours ???

chopsie

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:04:44 am »
If low ppm, Fill up at a mates/relatives who are not on a water meter. Or if mate/relative has room behind garage or somewhere, have an ibc or water butts round there and use ro at their place if ppm is too high for DI only
chopsie

daz1977

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:07:55 pm »
go to ur local b and q homebase at night, they always have a out side tap,  and fill up ;D ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:10:08 pm »
Hi

If you are use WFP and live in a flat and don't have access to an outside tap. What is the best way to get your van tank filled with pure water ???

Various options have been mentioned.  I live in a flat too.  I can't even be sure that I would be able to park in the same road as my flat so no hope there.
I had to ask around and see what was out there.  I got lucky.  My IBC and RO has been set up in someone's large shed for several years.  It is a very large shed that is used to store things.  Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, the occasional mishap can happen with the water.  Also, it is on a wooden floor that is carpeted.  I got this very cheaply - the only "payment" being free window cleaning.  After a recent mishap I decided to ask around and will be installing my kit elsewhere soon.  Although this place will cost me, it is a very good deal.  In the meantime, I am buying purified water from another window cleaner.
If you decide to buy your water, I suggest you have some loose containers around (perhaps enough for a days work) in case you can't get the water exactly when you need it.
One thing I had considered doing - though it would need a large van and a very fast RO  - is to have a twin tank system in the van.  Rent a standpipe from your local water company, fast fill tank 1.  Have a leisure battery and a pump to pump through RO (and possible DI) to tank 2.  Clean windows from tank 2.  If there is concern about what to do with the waste water, it could be recycled to tank 1 so long as the TDS is checked.  It's probably possible to go up to 400+ as they manage with that from the mains in Essex and Cambs.  It would be an idea to have a quick release on the pipe so that you can choose whether it gets recycled into tank 1 or goes straight to drain.  If no drainage is possible by the time the waste water's TDS has climbed high, a 12v sub pump could be hooked up via crocodile clips to a leisure battery and dump the waste quickly down a convenient drain.  Of course you could wait for the RO to filter direct from the mains rather than pumping via RO from one tank to another but you may feel that you have better things to do with your life.
Such a system may sound far fetched and the comments I've had have been pretty neutral.  However I believe it could be made to work and would be fine for someone with no work premises and no chance of filtering from home.  It would be necessary for several quick releases though so that the water could conveniently be made to go where you want it to go and so that you could choose to filter direct from hydrant (when you have some time) or filtering between tanks while you are working or driving around.  The amount of pumping might be a bit much for a split charge system to maintain the batteries so regular removal for manual charging would possibly be necessary.  It may even pay to have a three battery rotation and possibly have 110 amp batteries (though heavy to carry up the flats steps).  So two batteries in the van and one on permanent charge - so long as you had the right charger that would maintain only once fully charged.

The advantages would be:

No cost for premises.
No need to buy pure water.
Maintaining your independence.

Possible disadvantages:

Pay to rent standpipe - plus possible metering charges.
Higher electricity bill.
Heavy start-up costs.
Mental breakdown trying to keep track of it all  ;D .

I was considering such a system for when I get my next van in the future but that looks like it will be unnecessary now.

Matthew JN

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 08:53:41 pm »
Long hose pipe or McDonalds - park up connect to their outside tap, and have a burger for a couple of hours ???

I'm liking that idea.

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:59:08 pm »
i have the same problem but i keep my set up at a mates.
my last place i had the tubing running down the outside into a ibc from my kitchen

Darranvps

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:00:01 pm »

I'm liking that idea.
I've done it loads of times in the past when I was working away from base.

Darranvps

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 09:02:31 pm »
Hi

Various options have been mentioned.  I live in a flat too.  I can't even be sure that I would be able to park in the same road as my flat so no hope there.
I had to ask around and see what was out there.  I got lucky.  My IBC and RO has been set up in someone's large shed for several years.  It is a very large shed that is used to store things.  Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, the occasional mishap can happen with the water.  Also, it is on a wooden floor that is carpeted.  I got this very cheaply - the only "payment" being free window cleaning.  After a recent mishap I decided to ask around and will be installing my kit elsewhere soon.  Although this place will cost me, it is a very good deal.  In the meantime, I am buying purified water from another window cleaner.
If you decide to buy your water, I suggest you have some loose containers around (perhaps enough for a days work) in case you can't get the water exactly when you need it.
One thing I had considered doing - though it would need a large van and a very fast RO  - is to have a twin tank system in the van.  Rent a standpipe from your local water company, fast fill tank 1.  Have a leisure battery and a pump to pump through RO (and possible DI) to tank 2.  Clean windows from tank 2.  If there is concern about what to do with the waste water, it could be recycled to tank 1 so long as the TDS is checked.  It's probably possible to go up to 400+ as they manage with that from the mains in Essex and Cambs.  It would be an idea to have a quick release on the pipe so that you can choose whether it gets recycled into tank 1 or goes straight to drain.  If no drainage is possible by the time the waste water's TDS has climbed high, a 12v sub pump could be hooked up via crocodile clips to a leisure battery and dump the waste quickly down a convenient drain.  Of course you could wait for the RO to filter direct from the mains rather than pumping via RO from one tank to another but you may feel that you have better things to do with your life.
Such a system may sound far fetched and the comments I've had have been pretty neutral.  However I believe it could be made to work and would be fine for someone with no work premises and no chance of filtering from home.  It would be necessary for several quick releases though so that the water could conveniently be made to go where you want it to go and so that you could choose to filter direct from hydrant (when you have some time) or filtering between tanks while you are working or driving around.  The amount of pumping might be a bit much for a split charge system to maintain the batteries so regular removal for manual charging would possibly be necessary.  It may even pay to have a three battery rotation and possibly have 110 amp batteries (though heavy to carry up the flats steps).  So two batteries in the van and one on permanent charge - so long as you had the right charger that would maintain only once fully charged.

The advantages would be:

No cost for premises.

Possible disadvantages:

Higher electricity bill.
Heavy start-up costs.

I was considering such a system for when I get my next van in the future but that looks like it will be unnecessary now.

If you ever get stuck for water I am only up the road.........

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 09:53:53 pm »
consider moving lol ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 12:02:39 am »
Hi

The advantages would be:

No cost for premises.

Possible disadvantages:

Higher electricity bill.
Heavy start-up costs.

If you ever get stuck for water I am only up the road.........

Thanks for that Darran.
I've got an arrangement already that should keep me going until I set up at the new location.  If there's a problem with it though, I will certainly make contact.  Cheers.  I hope to bew up and running within two weeks.  Just some bits and pieces to take care of first.

Steven01903

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 07:30:47 am »
Easy I have done it and still doing it.

Small transit, 250 Ltr tank with your normal set up, Flat tank.
250 Ltrs tank fixed on top with a ball cock valve so that when you are at customers house you fill up as you are working.
You will also need a water bute for the waste water and when ever near a drain turn tap on and empty it.
from your fresh water tank you need to go to a large booster pump which has a air storge tank which is run by a 3kw Inverter conected to two large lesure batterys and the van battery. This will work all day long.
Just mind that your batterys dont go to low as the pump then does not switch off, If I am at the front of the house then I leave the engine ticking over.
It has taken me 3 months to get the system working and still I have problems from time to time but me and my old van starts at 8am and works straight though till 5.30 making water as I use it.
You only have to fill up at every 5ith house.

Job done.
Hope this is of help