Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rcs

do custies prefer traditional
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:06:17 am »
had some new signs made for the fellas van who looking after my business when i move to spain
due to popular demand had traditional window cleaner put on there in big letters
i had a least 10 people this week comment on how they prefer --the old way rather than using them pole things!!
ive also had customers ask me to do there window the traditional way
there still seems to be a lot of bad vibes amongst custies when using wfp
anyone else feeling this
i was going to invest in a new wfp system for him as im taking mine with him
but is it worth it
are there many out there who purely do traditional

Frankybadboy

Re: do custies prefer traditional
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:20:15 am »
god it been a whole week since wfp vs trad been brought up.here we go again. ;D

paul rulton

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:25:34 am »
god it been a whole week since wfp vs trad been brought up.here we go again. ;D
just wot i was thinking  ::) start it all up again them clear off 2 spain  ;D ;D

jonnyald

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:25:44 am »
ive only been going trad 2 years so a lot of my customers are CAST OFFS where a previous w.f.p had bad results,tales of flooding whatave you  and theres some real hostility to w.f.p  out there . trad is bleedin hard graft but iv no option  and one bonus of doing it trad is theres a real heartfelt gratitude when theyv got you. im forever hearing "thank god,iv found you "   or  " please keep coming ,never stop,i havent upset you in any way have i ?"   and similar nice to hear stuff

Jack Wallace

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:28:38 am »
Providing the wfp system is being used correctly and the results are as good as they should be most customers see the benefit and like it.

Sure some will prefer the traditional way and either put up with wfp or look elsewhere but I have only had a handful in 7 years.

In my opinion the majority don’t give a *** as long as there windows are clean.  ;D

Rcs

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 07:30:26 am »
i have  i particular customer who will not let wfp used on there windows they are steel crittal type and the water floods in as the seals are mucked in around the windows
its a old listed house due to planning they need to be replaced like for like etc and they cant afford the expense

Ken

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:34:20 am »
I've just taken on some new work and a number of notes on the work sheets say "no wfp, use ladders". I'm sorry, who's the tradesperson here? "Hello Mr. Decorator, I don't want you to use a roller, I'd like you to use an artists brush." I want to do a good job, but I also don't want to die when I'm doing it!

daz1977

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 07:37:14 am »
does any one think that if you said to a custy that to do there windows trad would be 20 or wfp would be 10,  i reacon the majority would go for wfp as its the cheapest

the only reason a lot dont like wfp is that it takes about 10 minutes to do and is easy work in the custys eye, and they want u to work hard for your money

i drop custy who want there windows done trad, i aint falling of a ladder for no one

Jack Wallace

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:46:21 am »
This debate is worse than the one on the telly. At least that one will end on May 6th.

There is a place for all types of window cleaning, Each should be used where and when appropriate. Judged by you not Mrs Jones at number 13. (Unless she is now running your business.)

Darranvps

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:01:38 am »
From reading the forum, these are my thoughts on the subject.
Most traditional window cleaners know how to clean a window properly. They understand the safe practice of using ladders. Once they adapt to WFP they understand how to use it quite quickly, and usually end up doing a good job.

WFP has made it easy for anybody to become a window cleaner, however if the wfp operator has never done traditional cleaning, with squeegees, scrims etc, I think they will help give the WFP a bad name amongst customers, because perhaps they are not good enough window cleaners?

Even though my business will use WFP wherever possible, all of my staff will be taught how to use traditional equipment as well, back in the old days I would teach staff thoroughly how to use ladders, squeegees etc, and believe it takes about six months to teach and train them properly. With WFP teaching traditional methods will take the trainee considerably longer?

Rcs

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:14:17 am »
The last thread is a valid point
wfp have opened the floodgates To hundreds of clueless wannabies
I worked weekends for a friend for 5 years before starting on my own and only ever done traditional
have worked from ladders and have never fallen but there is always that risk
I can honestly say I prefer trad - only when it's summer but wfp is safer and more cost effective from a business point of view
but like a lot of trades innovation has given way to traditional skills
a good percentage od wfp users would not have a clue on cleaning traditionally

cozy

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:17:27 am »
Well put. Can't remember who said it, but during one of the "ladders are banned" posts, one guy said "Ladders will be banned by EU rules soon anyway, can't wait". My question was "Why can't you wait?"

What difference does it make how any of us work? If I had a WFP guy in any area we work, it wouldn't really bother me. If he got more custies and earned more than I did, then I'd be looking at WFP as the next step.

I think the points made by Darran are on the nail. I think that some guys who have never learned trad skills could feel threatened by having trad competition on the same working area.

The market will sort its self out at some point. You can't browbeat people into changing methods.

Rcs

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 08:24:11 am »
Ladders are not illegal to use but if you work to to hse guidelines etc
you should explore all avaliable methods of working
and have 3 points of contact to the ladder ie 2 feet and 1 hand
this is difficult to achieve

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:29:45 am »
Ladders are not illegal to use but if you work to to hse guidelines etc
you should explore all avaliable methods of working
and have 3 pints of contact to the ladder ie 2 feet and 1 hand
this is difficult to achieve

Especially after 3 pints!  ;D

Do custies prefer traditional?

Some do ... especially white haired little old ladies who haven't seen me shine their frames cills and panes to a glistening lustre with my supalite brush on a stick!
It's a game of three halves!

cozy

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:33:36 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Trust Malc to spot that

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 08:48:29 am »
I think some prefer it simply because they like to think that the winow cleaner has worked hard for his money. They are still in the Master/Slave scenario. WFP dose appear to be less difficult and quicker. 

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:59 am »
I don't agree that it's the time taken.

From my experience it's always been about the windows left wet and "unfinished"

Platinum

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 09:31:11 am »
Yes
Window cleaners prefer the wfp method because its easier, cost effective (in terms of cleaning houses were you would require assistance/employee doing trad methods, said to be quicker and cleans the frames meaning you can charge more). Also means anyone can become a window cleaner without knowing how to clean windows.

Customers hate it because it doesnt leave the clean spot free finish traditional methods do. They leave the window wet, wet the property, wet the ground in wonter(worries of ice), it looks like your just hosing the windows - Thats just feedback off my customers after i sold my system.

Glad im back trad now  ;D

Pj

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:43:39 am »
I won't go up a ladder.  But for ground floor I just do whatever they ask for.  Some prefer them bladed some prefer the water thing with a stick and brush.  Some hate them left wet some say once they dry they're gleaming.

Frankly, my dear...

Steve_c

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 09:47:17 am »
Wfp is far superior to trad, but only if its done properly. Customers who prefer Trad have usually had some one who has not done the job properly. I did trad part time when i started out, then when i switched to full time and to WFP the benefits were great, quicker easier and safer and the results are much better.