Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Craig 72

Cleaned a mansion yesterday wfp-had to do it again today
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:08:44 pm »
What a distaster.Was chuffed to get a nice £70 job on a very large house.I figured a couple of hours work wfp as all leaded windows which normally come up a treat.Did the job yesterday and phoned up to check she was happy with the work.No,needless to say.White spots aplenty and spent the best part of this morning trying to put it right.I can only assume that there is still plenty of dirt between the lead and pane but I scrubbed and rinsed well and was expecting it to be tip top.I gave it the spiel that it may take 2 or 3 cleans before the windows come up sparkling but when you charge £70 it doesn't really wash (no pun intended).Really cheesed off.She said I could go make and try again but felt a right mug,especially after championing the benefits of wfp.Not sure what to do now.If I go back and try again,I can't afford another wasted morning the day after if it doesn't go well.Then again,a customer like that is one I want to keep hold of if poss.Anyone had any similar experiences?

daz1977

Re: Cleaned a mansion yesterday wfp-had to do it again today
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:13:51 pm »
thats the prob with first cleans, u need to spend loads of time on them,  i usually give them two cleans on a first clean,  done one to day took me 50 mins for 8 windows, pain but when i go next time, should be easy

could you tfr the lead windows then rinsed for ages, would this not bring them up clean

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:15:27 pm »
Yep, but not bad enough to get called back. I've done leaded windows several times and have been caught out with spots and runs. Your probably right about the dirt - have you checked todays results yet?

david watts

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:15:44 pm »
had a bad one the other day wfp; sun and wind bad combo;
next time you do them wfp dry the bottoms off with microfibre thats what i would do buff
them up a bit. but it may be they wont clean with a pole :(
life is like a box of chocolates you get the crap no one else wants

formb

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 07:21:55 pm »
Are these white wooden / aluminium windows?

Craig 72

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 07:29:16 pm »
It's frustrating to say the least as it looks ideal for wfp.One of the windows at the back is about 20 foot high and 10 foot wide.Very grand looking building.I thought I was thorough,but obviously not enough.Went through about 150 litres of water and took about 2 -2 and half hours.I've not checked them out since todays clean as it's not local.I think I'll probably call her again in a month to see if she wants them done again and tell her I'll do the job but don't pay me until the next day to make sure she's satisfied.I'd sooner not take money off her if the jobs done poorly.Gutted though,it's the first time that somebodys not been satisfied since I started this time last year.Actually lost a bit of sleep over it last night,silly isn't it!

To Form B,no they're leaded windows on a metal (iron? )frame.They look very old but she said they built the place so can't be ancient.

supernova77

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 07:31:19 pm »
Sounds like a nightmare mate  :(

In the 5 years I've been window cleaning I've never had any problems with leaded windows at all.

Andy

formb

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 07:32:33 pm »
My advice would be;

Bite the bullet, do them again.

Once they are clean you will be on to a winner.

I do a BIG house £150

Took me 3 days first time.

2 hours now.........

BORBRYCE

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 07:34:44 pm »
Craig, where are you? In Central Scotland I have noticed my van and all my custies cars are getting covered slowly in this volcano crap. We were all out looking at it earlier when I was collecting. Could be the dust that is the problem.

Craig 72

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 07:38:55 pm »
Yeah I think I'll go back and devote a day to the job on a day I've got nothing else on.Nothing to lose that way I suppose.Andy,yeah I know,leaded normally comes up tip top.Ronnie,down near London mate.I think if I blamed Volcanic ash I'd be pressing my luck a bit.The good thing is she seemed quite positive about me going back,bizarrely.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 07:42:56 pm »
hi mate yep takes a few cleans to get the crap off try a higher setting when rinsing just a matter of being carefull on the firsts

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 08:10:38 pm »
The good thing is she seemed quite positive about me going back,bizarrely.

i think we could be surprised at much or how little customers get annoyed at a "poor clean" sometimes, whilst we sit at home fretting about it. She probably realises that it is genuinely causing problems and appreciates that you seem to be putting in the effort to get the best results for her.

Craig 72

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 08:19:08 pm »
Yeah I'm hoping the fact I tried to rectify the situation worked in my favour.Some of it really was p poor though,I cringe thinking about it.

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 08:48:39 pm »
i know the feeling!! i did a new house last week, real old place - small paned windows with lots of cracking paint!! I did them and just as i was packing up a huge shower came!! and the next few days were wet and very windy. So when i went back to get paid and touch up a few dodgy windows i took a look at the other windows and cringed - the wind and rain had destroyed them and a few had runs. and as u say - bizzarely she wanted me back!!

matt

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 08:58:44 pm »
if they are real leaded windows ( the glass inside the lead , NOT lead stuck on the outside of a pane of glass )

they might allways cause problems, years of dust and dirt ( even if scrimmed by hand in the past ) would have built up under the lead, this might takes many washes to come out

i have a old house i do and even after over 5 years, they are still not great, the owner accepts it because of my spiel about the lead trapping the dirt

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 09:02:45 pm »
Remember if anyone else had down they would also be in the same situation so dont cut yourself up about it.Its all normal.

Craig 72

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 09:05:04 pm »
I'll give it one more thorough bash and if she's still not satisfied I'll knock it on the head I think.She said her previous cleaner did it by hand but to hell with that.It would take me forever and a day.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 11:42:46 pm »
Try having a bucket of pure water with GG3 in it and dip your brush in it before every window, then scrub and rinse - should do the trick.  You say they are in a metal frame?  Sounds like the old Crittal windows - the putty they used to fix the glass into the steel frame isn't the same as linseed oil putty for wooden frames, it tends to dry and powder so no matter how much you try you keep getting dissolved putty in the water that dries to leave spots and milky blotches.

roundbuilder

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 12:08:14 am »
i had the same prop craig in blackheath  today. Did a big 1 on shooters hill road and i got a call saying about spots and runs, i went to have a look and my god it looked bad and spotted everywhere. Old wooden frames that hadnt been cleaned in 5 years, they still didnt come up great after 2 attempts. Ill try again next month.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 12:21:39 am »
trad the downstairs!would be quicker by the sounds of it!this is my concern about wfp.the sheer ridiculous amount of pure water used just for one house at times!! ::) ::).i have a few like u describe.just hope there not a nightmare when i do get a system ::) ::)
price higher/work harder!