This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

supernova77

Automatic Shut Off Valve?
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:23:48 pm »
Hi All,

At the moment I have a static system at home, so I can keep checking when the water is almost full and turn it off...

In 2 weeks time I am moving into a Unit, and have a 1000 litre IBC tank to use as a holding tank...

As I'm not going to be able to keep checking when the holding tank is almost full I will need some kind of automatic shut off valve - What is the best type, and where do I get one from?

Thanks,
Andy  :)

R W C™

Re: Automatic Shut Off Valve?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:27:21 pm »
Mine was from pure freedom and it shuts off before filters, there are some that just stop pure but waste continues till you turn off so you dont want one of these...

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:33 pm »
Thanks RWC,

Does it work OK? It doesn't leak because of the water pressure or anything does it? I'm going to be paranoid for the first few weeks thinking that my unit will be flooding when I'm not there!  :-\

Andy

R W C™

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:32:19 pm »
no leeks mate, but will need to be connected to a battery, you could always get a turn off clock fro some where like b&q, work out how long a 100 ltr takes then set the time...

landy2

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:34:27 pm »
hell o there i have the same as rwc and never had a problem with it

supernova77

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:37:18 pm »
Thanks for the info :)

I better give Purefreedom a call as I can't find anything on their website!

Andy

traps7

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »
no leeks mate, but will need to be connected to a battery, you could always get a turn off clock fro some where like b&q, work out how long a 100 ltr takes then set the time...

You don't need a battery just a 12 volt adapter plug like on kids toys etc if your solenoid is 12 volt.

This guy sells both 230 volt mains and 12 volt:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solenoid-Valve-PLUS-15mm-ADAPTORS-Electrical-Shut-Off_W0QQitemZ330417332790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ?hash=item4cee686236

You'll need some cable and a float as well.

john tomkins

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:39:17 pm »
I got one of these auto shut off solenoid valves that operate with a float type valve in the ibc. Works as it should but when checking the tds as the valve slowly shuts off it just keeps rising and rising until the valve stops the flow completely.... stopped using it now :(

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 10:28:08 pm »
Hi All,

At the moment I have a static system at home, so I can keep checking when the water is almost full and turn it off...

In 2 weeks time I am moving into a Unit, and have a 1000 litre IBC tank to use as a holding tank...

As I'm not going to be able to keep checking when the holding tank is almost full I will need some kind of automatic shut off valve - What is the best type, and where do I get one from?

Thanks,
Andy  :)

My personal preference is for a ballcock type system because an electrical cut out has let me down in the past.  Not sure that a ballcock is appropriate if your RO is of the pumped variety though - mind you, I'm willing to learn if I've got that bit wrong.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:29:34 pm »
I use a solenoid valve plugged into a timer.  The solenoid valve is in the mains feed from my house.  I also have the booster pump plugged into the same timer.  I have a grid on my IBC marked in hours run, so I can see at a glance how long I have to set the timer for to fill the tank.  When the timer switches off, the solenoid valve closes, stopping the water and the pump switches off as well so everything shuts down nice and safe ;)