Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ray Pickering

Re: what was you B/C
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2005, 09:43:27 pm »
Baldeagle!

I'm just a tiny bit (age wise ) in front of you.

With your byepasses etc; i think your doing brilliant & obviously enjoying your life probably even more than before.

All the best for a lot more years to come.

As for the rest of you-------- with your backgrounds we must have the most talented W/Cs in the world!!!!!!

Regards Ray.

davidpitts

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 10:19:50 pm »
1 year apprentice draughtsman (so boring)
3 years as a mechanic
23 years as an engineer
last 18months cleaning windows and lovin every minute even when its freezin

Ray Pickering

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 10:26:24 pm »
Well done mate!

Enjoy it!

Ray.  :)

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 10:36:20 pm »
Carpenters mate
builders mate
sparkys mate
tractor driver (not to be confussed wuth tractor boy) up the canaries
glassfibre laminator
lotus Cars  test pilot (SINCLAIR C5) ha ha
lsat 15 years class 1 HGV 15 hr days Out mon - fri missed the kids growing up

3 months ago start window cleaning

ps dusty (mark) be nice to meet local w/c

Chris C

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2005, 11:10:38 pm »
My work history is very simple:

Worked in a kebab shop at age fifteen.

Joined the army at age 16.

Left the army at age 34 (loads of medals unlike Steve K - NI, Gulf War 1, Bosnia UN, Bosnia NATO, Kosovo UN, 1080 day medal for spending more than 3 years in dodgy places (No LS & GC)).  I'm sure I'm missing a couple too.

Became a window cleaner.

Perfectly Clean

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 12:34:15 am »
1 thing which I have noticed more is the back stabbing which comes from offices...I am so happy I am no longer in that enviroment..Own Boss Can't beat it...apart from holidays, sick pay christman bonus etc

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 08:10:47 am »
Don't no whether this has been aired before but.

What did you all do before Window Cleaning!!

There seems to be some quite intelligent people on this Forum,
(i'm not one of them) some of the question's & answer's i've got no idea what your talking about( then again i'm quite thick)!

Here goes with my bit.
I was in the building trade for (100) years in between i had 2 Newsagents which i spent 5 years in each, then the last 5 years i was back in the building trade up until about 3 months ago i started as a Window Cleaner.

As you can gather my best subject at School was'nt Maths cus that makes me around about 115yrs old.
 Even Gaza knows i'm not quite that old YET.

Anyway who fancies spilling there gut's next.

Regards Ray ;)

Well I was a builder's labourer straight from school.  Then I worked in a bakery for a little while. I followed that up with a few weeks in a sheet metal factory (boring).  I followed that up by working in a hotel kitchen (I had nowhere to live and it was a live-in job).  Then came 13 years as a printer's assistant.  After that I did multi-drop in a 7.5 tonner. Next came the care work in a psychiatric clinic (I sometimes thought I was a psychotic patient having a delusion that I worked there  ;)  ) .  Then I was with an advertising company.  I used to drive around the southeast sorting out some advertising at supermarkets.  Then came the windows.
I must say that my worklife has been extremely varied and I guess I'm richer for the experiences - even the negative ones.

gaza

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005, 08:42:20 am »
WORKED WITH THE POLICE {10 YRS} IN JAIL
TRAFFIC WARDEN  10YRS LOVE GIVING THOSE LITTLE TICKETS A LICK BEFORE SLAPPING THEM ON THE SCREEN
TAX OFFICE FOR 10 YRS.

FED UP OF BEING HATED BY PEOPLE BECAME A W/C  ;D NEVER BEEN HAPPIER
 Serious :
worked on the land
salesman
mechanic
building site                                                                            factory
pro dj [17yrs}
taxi driver
van driver                                                                                     w/c

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005, 08:46:49 am »
Left school at 15 1st job...Tesco!!  £7:00 pw gross. Only worked there about a year or so.  Jumped in and out of various jobs for a while.  Then came the 70s'.  Which some of you will know, they say 'if you can remember the 70s' then you were'nt there!'  Well I'm told I was there.  Then I met my life-long pal and never failing support - she straightened me out.  I did a few years in newspaper advertising, then car graphics, then in 1987 a friend showed me how to clean windows, and he is still a friend!  the rest is history.  Started cutting back a bit 4 years ago found my knees waring out,  2+1/2 years ago had heart attack, turned life upside down for about 6months, been getting back ever since.  Take it as it comes now, some clients stayed loyal, been picking up ever since, with my wife's help.  Life is great.
Don't want to do anything else.
Pj

daniel b

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005, 02:07:05 pm »
Left school 10 years ago and went straight into wc starting my own business, my dad used to be a wc for 25 years and i used to help him in the school hols so i knew a bit about wc before i even left school,i now have 8 full time lads and we only clean blue chip companies,no domestics at all,so ive never actually worked for anybody and i hope i never have too.

Daniel
DSB Cleaning Services,Wrexham,N.Wales.
NFMWGC NO.9442,
Safe contractor approved.
www.dsbcleaningservices.co.uk

Ray Pickering

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2005, 04:21:58 pm »
That's the only way to be when working.

Self Employed!

Ray.

dai

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2005, 08:23:48 pm »
Left school in 1957 worked for a guy WC, no sqeegees in those days.
I was the big ladder man when 16 years old. Left and went into engineering. trained as a centre lathe turner, went onto the old numerically controlled machines and then onto the computer controlled machine centres and milling machines. Got made redundant in 1993 and went back to good old WC. took enough of the brown stuff over the years to last a lifetime, Dont take any now.
Oh I did work one season in Butlins 1963 running an arcade, I was rushed off my feet one day and the big man himself came to visit.
He sent one of his lackies to tell me the floor was dirty and to get it swept. I told the guy to go back to sir Bill and tell him that if he wanted the floor brushing the broom was behind the door in the change kiosk. I didn't lose my job. DAi

dustycorner

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 08:52:46 pm »
Hi Chrisc,

where are you then mate.

Cheers Mark.

S Page

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 09:32:10 pm »
Part time farm hand whilst at school and after on and off for 12 odd years.
4 years studying for a BSc (Hons) degree in Computer Aided Product Design then desided that I couldn't stand staring at wireframe diagrams anymore.
Delivery driver for a few months then first full time job for Daewoo Cars in the technical department.
A number of years in that department then transfered to the IT dept working up to head of Network Comms.
Moved to an IT support company as a network support engineer for a few years before that was bought up by ntl. Got given less and work to do then a series of redundancies and cut backs. Took this as a growing bad sign and jumped ship.
Helped in-laws with building work on house for a while then money started to get short.
Couldn't get another full time job as my wife is poorly after the birth of our second child. Old friends at farm gave me some work, put me through my HGV class 2 and then did a rubbish collection round at the weekends up in London.
Decided I needed to do some work during the week to as money was short so one day whilst cleaning windows at in-laws I thought I would give it a go as a business.
Too early starts (2AM finishing around 12PM) and disturbed sleep patterns meant the rubbish round had to stop, also round was growing.
Gone from strength to strength since round growing all the time. Working when we can get help looking after the children.
It's great, being your own boss, working when you want and no office politics.

Ray Pickering

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 10:26:12 pm »
S Page!(is it Steve)

Sounds like you've had a busy life.

A warm welcome to you--glad your enjoying it  :)

If you are a newbie ask all the question's you want theres loads of support on here from the pros (but i'm not one of them yet)

Regards Ray.

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2005, 12:33:48 am »
Yep Mr S Page If that is all true, it's time for you to recover in the window cleaning jacuzzi.  Welcome in mate and do well.  Just don't f...rt.  They don't like stuff like that round here.
Pj

brett walker

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2005, 12:42:17 am »
 :) milk moniter, paper round then left school worked on a magget farm,  knackers yard , van drivers assistant for curries then 7 1/2 tonne driver for bakers oven , driver for group 4 the last 14yrs window cleaning

regards

brett

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2005, 10:11:17 pm »
carpet warehouse
tea factory
coach driver
taxi driver
circumcision clinic   (left because it was a dead end job and only
                                  £10 pw +tips)

Steve.D

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2005, 01:07:34 pm »

Painter & Decorator
Betting Shop Settler/Manager (Ladbrokes)
Driver/Crane Operator for Film & TV Company
Painting & Decorating Tutor (unemployed young people on YTS schemes)
Charity Manager (for disruptive young people)
Youth Worker (Resigned....didn't agree with rewarding young people known for their bad behaviour and attitude with free trips and outings which was supposed to make them a better person.........not!! Waste of government money)

UBA1

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2005, 04:17:22 pm »
Sparks

Refrigeration and air conditioning

Professional fighter (now retired)

And best of...now a shiner!