This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

pauld

severe pain at base of thumb and first finger
« on: April 10, 2010, 07:13:18 pm »
has anyone else experienced this ?
After using using WFP for a year and a half I started to occasionally get this sharp pain around the base of the thumb and 1st finger
around the wrist. It feels like someone has stuck a knife in there and is twisting it !!! it came and went at first but now it,s becoming constant and Today it,s been excrushiating !
PS I,ve been using harris poles with the tight screw grips and I think that may have been the cause.

niceandclean

Re: severe pain at base of thumb and first finger
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:41:34 pm »
I get it from time to time in the base of the thumb, like you say, its like being stabbed with something sharp. I put it down to gripping the pole all day, rsi and all that.

jouk45

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:24:20 pm »
buy foam bike handle grips that have the finger impressions on them,, not the plastic ones,  they fit on the harris perfect, and they slide up and down to suit your arm length,

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:04:17 pm »
I have found I put 28mm ID lagging used for pluming copper pipe in winter. This I had to shop around for as it is not standerd. Go to a proper Pluming supply shop. This I slip over the harries pole and glue to and bottom and tie tight with tie wire and cover with duck tape. The pole is never cold and comfortable in the hand.

jouk45

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:32 pm »
I have found I put 28mm ID lagging used for pluming copper pipe in winter. This I had to shop around for as it is not standerd. Go to a proper Pluming supply shop. This I slip over the harries pole and glue to and bottom and tie tight with tie wire and cover with duck tape. The pole is never cold and comfortable in the hand.
your better of using heat shrink tubing 50mm any colour, if you are going to all that length
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50mm-Black-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-2-x-300mm-lengths_W0QQitemZ260577183184QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item3cab9c45d0

windowswashed

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:20:43 am »
Perhaps you are twisting your ligaments around your tenons with the twisting motions on the twist to lock style clamps. Try using lever style clamps instead

jouk45

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:32:28 am »
could be the hand is bigger than the pole section, i use to get numbness, then put the bike foam grips on, been ok since,

Alan McTernan

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:52:40 am »
I get this with pressure washing, so i use Rigger Gloves, you get them from "Struass" workwear they are designed to stop carpal tunnel and other impact/gripping problems!!! They have helped me out ;)

Regards
Alan

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 04:10:08 pm »
When I started wfp I had an unger twist lock pole and my hands really ached badly after a while. Then I went to a fishing pole and the problem stopped. Since then I've gone to an SLX and have no probs.

It's the twist lock function that hurt.

Change your pole if the above remedies don't work.
It's a game of three halves!

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 04:16:25 pm »
what you do with a movement needs to be reversed also because if it is not you will do damage at some point.

My bro-inlaw is a physio  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)