Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Count Phil

New van, lost customers.
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »
This is the second time I've got a new van. First time it was a doblo, this time a Hiace. The doblo was brand new, the hiace isn't but is signed up and looks the biz.

Both occasions I have lost customers. They are the better off type, see your van and go really funny on you and come up with a naff excuse or try to go every other time. I was expecting it this time but it still surprised me a little.

It's only a handful but I'm like 'how can you be jealous or worried or whatever about a window cleaning van'?

People.

formb

Re: New van, lost customers.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:36:03 pm »
We use land rovers. I'd say they have got me about 10% of our customers.

They are instantly recognisable, and totally class-less.

You'd never catch me in a white van  ;D

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 02:37:17 pm »
i dont know but maybe thay look at it as im paying for that , new van may bring in more custies as well thay,ll come back when next blokes pulls up in a merc  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:40:50 pm »

I told my teenage daughter about you using land rovers and she said "Wow! That is so cool!"

I'd use one too but the economy compared to my little van would put me off.
It's a game of three halves!

daz1977

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:55:56 pm »
they think that they are paying for that, and if you are making that much money they u dont need them,    remember wc as always been classed as crap pay so they think u should be on crap pay

williamx

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 02:30:42 pm »
When I first started I  used vans that where 10 years old with and the logos where A5 lamitated Yellow signs.

Everyone knew it was me ;D and I used to get loads of calls from it, I now have an all singing and dancing van with the professional image attached.

I still get calls, but not as many as with my other van, folk are a bit queer i think.

I have not lost any customers and they all know I have a hoildayabroad every 2 months 8) at the moment I am writing this from the poolside at the badala Park Hotel, The Gambia, Africa. 8)

IT'S GOOD TO BE A WINDOW CLEANER ;) ::)

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:46:02 pm »

Prefer a van in the freezing weather though - at least the tank is not exposed to the elements. Really struggled with the first couple of winters using a trailer and lost many hours trying to thaw frozen suction and delivery pipes out. Now the tanks are kept frost free in the van even when its too cold to go out.
Always better to be class-less IMHO. Mercs are a real problem with customer perception in the domestic service industry, but a few years back companies who fitted security cameras and alarms to industrial premises were favourably judged by their up-market vans and equipment.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:46:24 pm »

I use a pram  ;D

formb

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 11:44:32 am »

I told my teenage daughter about you using land rovers and she said "Wow! That is so cool!"

I have had 1 of my land rovers for 8 years now, had it been a van it would be rusting away in a field by now.

I paid £1000 for it, I could sell it tomorrow for £1000.

formb

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 11:47:27 am »

Try this in a van and it's "new van for me"

This one is still on the road.

formb

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:40 am »
Seriously.

formb

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 11:49:43 am »
I'm not joking.

Still on the road.

formb

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 11:50:49 am »
Passed an MOT just last week.
 ;D

jonnyald

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »
are the landrovers petrol? not that it makes any diffrence what with the price of diesel now :(

a few years ago i owned a lwb landrover (not for windowcleaning,mine was a breakdown truck) it did 12miles to the gallon, towing or not towing ,jeeez

formb

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »
are the landrovers petrol? not that it makes any diffrence what with the price of diesel now :(

a few years ago i owned a lwb landrover (not for windowcleaning,mine was a breakdown truck) it did 12miles to the gallon, towing or not towing ,jeeez

No they are Diesel. I have spent some money on making them more economical, upgraded engines and gearboxes.

They do 35 mpg empty of water.  ;D

When they are full (750l = 3/4 tonne) there is no difference in performance but;

10 - 20 mpg.  :o

petemg

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 04:46:37 pm »
hi ya all ;) its all a mind game, sighn written shiny van bucket tee shirts ect , are no good if you can not clean windows, i have an old 94 frontera 4x4 its blue with a green drivers door and a green tail gate yes they need spraying to matchand its coverd in mud, to my custermers i am ther window cleaner, and i get many recomendations, i am clean and polite, apart from cleaning my custys windows and doing a good job for the right price, what do they care, been doing this game for 23 years, its the snobby cleaners with probs not the custermers..........pete

tomy jackson

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 04:55:41 pm »
reds hafe  ;D ;D ;D ;D

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 04:59:15 pm »

No they are Diesel. I have spent some money on making them more economical, upgraded engines and gearboxes.

They do 35 mpg empty of water.  ;D

When they are full (750l = 3/4 tonne) there is no difference in performance but;

10 - 20 mpg.  :o

My doblo cargo 1250 multijet TD

Empty water tank = 55/60 MPG

Full water tank = 45 MPG          Stop/start driving. ;) :) :) :) :) :)

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 05:02:08 pm »
hi ya all ;) its all a mind game, sighn written shiny van bucket tee shirts ect , are no good if you can not clean windows, i have an old 94 frontera 4x4 its blue with a green drivers door and a green tail gate yes they need spraying to matchand its coverd in mud, to my custermers i am ther window cleaner, and i get many recomendations, i am clean and polite, apart from cleaning my custys windows and doing a good job for the right price, what do they care, been doing this game for 23 years, its the snobby cleaners with probs not the custermers..........pete

Take a differant industry..haulage.Does Stobbarts run dirty tired looking vehicles and expect to get quality contracts...i wouldn't have thought so.So tell me why window cleaning is differant,from a marketing point of view?

petemg

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 05:18:51 pm »
hi ya we are all window cleaners,if you turned up in a sighn written van and uniform,with a clip board, and i turned up in my batterd truck with me trackis on and a note pad, do you think you would get the job, you might have to charge more than me for the same job, on the other hand they might feel sorry for me and give me the job ;D like i said its a mind game and we are all cleaning windows at the end of the day........pete