Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richy L

900 windows
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:28:10 pm »
Im pricing a job at the moment. There are 900 windows up to 6 stories high. I can get a cherry picker everwhere. Would you price this job per window or on time? What do you guys think?

...  and I want to get this job as it will be a regular clean.

Cheers

Tom Mac

Re: 900 windows
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »
Any pics?

daz1977

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:44:31 pm »
would it not be cheap to use a 65ft pole

formb

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:54:00 pm »
I got a similar sounding job a while back.

I always price by the hour.

If you will be using a cherry picker I would suggest you ask them to supply it, if they cant then bill it to them. That way if the price of hire changes it is not you taking the hit.

With a job of this size what I do is work out how many guys to do it in a day. Then work from the daily rate.

Richy L

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:11:21 pm »
A pole would be no good due to the angle of some of the glass.
... and I have to supply the cherry picker.

I dont have any pics.

How many days would you guys think it would take one man?
 I dont see the point in putting two men on the job as the basket of the cherry picker will only get to one window at a time.

formb

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:30:28 pm »
On the assumption that not all windows would be done from the cherry picker, I'd go with 2 guys 1 day.

Allow double for the first clean.

I never send my guys out solo, it's part of my risk assessments.

We always need at least 2 guys 1 of them being a first aider. If it means that 1 of them is stood about kicking his heels all day then that's the way it is.

You can put that in as part of your quote that's what I do, particularly if they have asked for risk assessments, if not I would submit some any way as it looks good and you'll get away with charging more.

chopsie

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »
I think it may be a requirement by hse (do not quote me though), to have 2 men when using a cherry picker,If something was to happen to the man in the basket then the second man would have to be competent to lower him down using the ground controls,Well thats what we had to do on sites anyways
chopsie

prestige cleaners

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »
On the assumption that not all windows would be done from the cherry picker, I'd go with 2 guys 1 day.

We always need at least 2 guys 1 of them being a first aider. If it means that 1 of them is stood about kicking his heels all day then that's the way it is.

You can put that in as part of your quote that's what I do, particularly if they have asked for risk assessments, if not I would submit some any way as it looks good and you'll get away with charging more.

i think its going to take a lot longer than one day, average time per window including moving about, set up, lunch, etc, is about 3 mins per window x 900 windows = 45hours! so about 5 1/2, 8 hr days and thats a very optimistic estimate, theres always something that will slow you down,

i remember giving a quote for some high rises cant remember the exact number of windows, but it would have taken about 10 of us at least a week to do, quoted him £20,000 every 3 months, he said he's had a quote for £3k! that wouldnt have covered my insurance!  i dont know how some people make a profit!

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »
Rapid Platforms charge £500 per day for there MEWPs and that includes a driver.

3minutes per window? your joking right?
more like 1 minute.
it would take 2 men approximately 2 to 2 1/2 days

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:50:07 pm »
We do a building that has 405 windows and it takes two of us just over 3.5 hours, BUT, there's one pane of glass per window, about 6ft by 8ft, and it's all done by WFP as it's just four sides and very easy access.

It sounds as though this job's a bit bigger than the poster originally thought eh!!!
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Sean Dyer

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »

i think its going to take a lot longer than one day, average time per window including moving about, set up, lunch, etc, is about 3 mins per window x 900 windows = 45hours! so about 5 1/2, 8 hr days and thats a very optimistic estimate, theres always something that will slow you down,

i remember giving a quote for some high rises cant remember the exact number of windows, but it would have taken about 10 of us at least a week to do, quoted him £20,000 every 3 months, he said he's had a quote for £3k! that wouldnt have covered my insurance!  i dont know how some people make a profit!

they could very well have insurance to do that kind of work every day, own cherry pickers and have experienced staff who can do it quick, or they messed the quote up lol

Richy L

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 07:56:32 pm »
I was thinking about 4 days work for one person cleaning, whether there is another man on site or not.
Looks like that is about right then. I haven't submited my quote yet, just putting the figures together.

Thanks guys

Richy

tacky

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:10:08 pm »
hi richy i see u ar from cardiff .quite a few posts ago their was a guy on here from cardiff .i think it was seerclean .he mentioned that he new some firm that hired operater n cherrypicker .the rates were quite reasonable .might b worth contacting him for number

Richy L

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 08:27:58 pm »
Cheers tacky,
Im meeting up with huw from seerclean later on in the week about another job.

The cherrypicker hire is about £450 + VAT for a week including delvery and pick up. I have an IPAF liscence so I can opperate it myself. I know Huw has a spiderlift but there is no need to use one of these opn this job as they are more expensive to hire.

Thanks though

tacky

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:34 pm »
ok .glad to b of help .

prestige cleaners

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:17 pm »

more like 1 minute.

Matt

1 minute per window in a cherry picker? you dont just count the time each window takes to clean, you take into account moving about, breaks, set up, etc

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 09:11:13 pm »
I was thinking about 4 days work for one person cleaning, whether there is another man on site or not.
Looks like that is about right then. I haven't submited my quote yet, just putting the figures together.

Thanks guys

Richy
1 man 4days to clean approx 900 panes
yr way off  :o :o
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:19 pm »

more like 1 minute.

Matt

1 minute per window in a cherry picker? you dont just count the time each window takes to clean, you take into account moving about, breaks, set up, etc

You get a good operator and it will be a lot quicker.
depends how long you want to stop for breaks, personally I would only have half hour for lunch that would be it.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Richy L

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 09:23:14 pm »
... about 300 windows are above grass with a long out reach. This will mean I will need to use ply board on the area which takes time. Also, they want it cleaned trad.

Also each pane is about 2 from the next one.

We're not talking a "wall" of windows. this is also over 6 stories some area are sloping so I will have to put the cherry picker in a safe position and reach out a lot of the time which takes that little bit longer

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 10:27:26 pm »
can the windows be cleaned from the inside