Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

anyone just use a trolley system?
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:57:45 pm »
im a sole trader window cleaner with no plans to employ.mainly very compact domestic with a few small commercial jobs here and there.

i was thinking:trolley system with 12 25lt containers in van(300lts)for starters and add another 3-4 containers to take me up to 400lts if need be.

a trigger on my pole and trad the odd account and the odd downstairs windows.

do you think 400lts will be enough water to last 6 hours of cleaning a day after the first cleans are out of the way?

ill be DI ONLY so i could top up on the job if need be sometimes.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

wizclean

Re: anyone just use a trolley system?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:42:05 pm »
i am van system only but trolleys are an invaluable tool that can be used on there own. personally my work is compact so van mount is  the way but sometimes i wish i had atrolley .might invest this year. if it makes it easier for you get one.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:32 pm »
my only worry with the trolley system is keep running dry would this draw air into the system / course problems i dont know but it could be a pain keep having to watch the water level every 45 mins .....

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:35:39 pm »
Yes. What you are suggesting is fine. Loads of people in our position (sole traders) work that way without any problems.

One mod I'm thinking of is to fit a 125 litre tank and carry fewer jerry cans, Just fill them up as I go along. Maybe. It's just an idea at this stage.

But the basic idea of a trolley and a van full of cans is proven to be perfectly feasible.

Your only problem is to find the trolley system that suits you and your pocket.

And I don't find that Mick P's concern is usually an issue on most domestic jobs. You'll find that one can is more than sufficient for most houses.

dai

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:53 pm »
A trolley and 10 containers is all I have used since going WFP. Ideal on compact work, I  have 30 meters of micro bore, and a reel mounted on the trolley, no need to taker the trolley round the backs. My trolley [DIY]carries 2 containers.

cleewindows

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:49:32 pm »
i have a xline trolley but just fitted 250 litre tank and a 100 metre hose n reel so i can connect my trolley upto the tank when i dont need to get the trolley out/
 im also going to invest in a cheap backpack as a back up!

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »
A trolley and 10 containers is all I have used since going WFP. Ideal on compact work, I  have 30 meters of micro bore, and a reel mounted on the trolley, no need to taker the trolley round the backs. My trolley [DIY]carries 2 containers.

Got a photo?

s.w.c

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:11:33 pm »
i use a freedom i find it a good tool, i fitted a remote control to it with 20m extra pole hose added to the trolley, some have issues with remotes and there signal strength but ive fixed that by adding a antenna to it that matches the mhz correctly.

elite mike

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 09:31:32 am »
this will make you laugh daz, happy easter

John Walker

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59:13 am »
im a sole trader window cleaner with no plans to employ.mainly very compact domestic with a few small commercial jobs here and there.

i was thinking:trolley system with 12 25lt containers in van(300lts)for starters and add another 3-4 containers to take me up to 400lts if need be.

a trigger on my pole and trad the odd account and the odd downstairs windows.

do you think 400lts will be enough water to last 6 hours of cleaning a day after the first cleans are out of the way?

ill be DI ONLY so i could top up on the job if need be sometimes.

regards

dazmond

Hi Dazmond

I've been working that way for around six years now - it's been fine for me.  I've a backpack on a trolley (brimmed at 20 litres) for single houses and a 50 litre Omnitrolley for when I've a group of houses (can usually do 3 without refill if not 'first cleans).  Can't be arsed with messing about with long hoses on domestic so just have a few metres of clear hose on each pole.  In most cases I can leave the trolley at one corner and do two sides and then go to the diagonally opposite and do the other two sides.

John
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

Martin ccs

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 10:07:31 am »
i use a freedom i find it a good tool, i fitted a remote control to it with 20m extra pole hose added to the trolley, some have issues with remotes and there signal strength but ive fixed that by adding a antenna to it that matches the mhz correctly.

i bet that remote saves you loads of time and water.

i fancied doing that for my xline trolley but two thing put me off - rubbish at any diy etc.. and loads on here say they dont work and cause damage

dai

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:10:41 am »

Got a photo?
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=94757.20#msg838089

cleewindows

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 10:15:10 am »
i have 10 metres of hose on my trolley and then on every pole a tap or a trigger,save loads of water,been doing 2nd cleans with 10 to 15 litres of water,have to they triggers are the best.but taps do a good job too.
I have just bought a 100 metres of microbore on a hose so i can connect my trolley to my tank in the van.best of both worlds.
Triggers are the way forward.

i bet that remote saves you loads of time and water.

i fancied doing that for my xline trolley but two thing put me off - rubbish at any diy etc.. and loads on here say they dont work and cause damage

s.w.c

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:03 am »
martin ccs, its easy 8mm drill bit a pair of crimps is all you need, remotes do suffer with signal issues, i know i tested this one for scrimboy time ago its still the original remote, the signal issues were fixed due to correct mhz antenna,

Martin ccs

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 10:24:08 am »
martin ccs, its easy 8mm drill bit a pair of crimps is all you need, remotes do suffer with signal issues, i know i tested this one for scrimboy time ago its still the original remote, the signal issues were fixed due to correct mhz antenna,

oh right, so how do i go about getting the right bits - had seen a place few months back on ebay but then got put off by others on here.

just worried i wont be able to wire it up etc... dont wanna be sat at every house trying to work out why it wont work!

s.w.c

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:35 am »
try this you will need to find out by looking on paper work whay mhz the remote runs on then get the correct antenna, mine was 315mhz and i used a SMA bulkhead fitting.
http://www.simplesolutions-uk.com/index.php?do=products&sub=list&group=27

Martin ccs

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 10:34:58 am »
ok cheers, aint got a clue what all that is tho mate, proper rubbish at all that type of stuff.

s.w.c

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 10:44:37 am »
its a bit of a mind field if you ain't got a clue, i didn't have i clue to start i spoke to a mate who builds bait boats for fishing he upgrades the echo sounders the same way.

Martin ccs

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 10:47:46 am »
wonder why pf xline etc.. dont make them for their trolleys?

im not gonna try and mess around with it - never get it to work properly - prob end up slowing me down when it stops working when im out working

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »
wally im sure i will be fine with just containers in the back of van.ill just get something to hold them in place!i would rather spend half hour every night filling barrels(DI ONLY).so i have my water for the day than faffing about refilling them from a tank in the van as i want to be able to clear the van sometimes if im taking rubbish down to the tip for example.

also on cold frosty nights i wont fill barrels up until the morning so i dont have any freezing issues in the van or messin about with heaters etc.i will bring the trolley in the hall during cold nights as well to protect the pump etc.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!