This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stracey

Under-cut nuisance
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:46:15 am »
Got a nice round of three storey houses on a newish estate and still building.
£10 per house, thought a little under-priced but very compact and pickup a new clean
every visit :)
Collecting yesterday and cust gone with a new quote of £6, they claim to do the majority
on the estate. >:(
Hope they just disappear like the other under-cut nuisance we come across from time to time.

Will take the cust back on the new price of £12 this year me thinks ;D

dazmond

Re: Under-cut nuisance
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:43:30 pm »
if they got some very compact flats at £6 a pop u can still make a good hourly rate.some window cleaners are just greedy.dont be surprised if you lose a load  if their £10 a pop and only take 5 mins to clean.

i know of one guys who lost  the lot(whole apartment block)for a guy who was charging less yet he was still making £35+ an hour at the lower price!

business is business

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

martinsadie

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »
if you are only doing a job here and there and charging for traveling,you are always going to get undercut by someone with compact work doing them all ,its not really undercutting hes charging the proper price

formb

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59:11 am »
Undercutting is very poor business practice.

If he has felt the need to resort to such a tactic he is probably struggling to get customers of his own.

If he uses 1 poor business practice he probably uses other too.

Every time we have been undercut in the past, the undercutter has gone sooner or later.

daz1977

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:03:28 am »
do u know weather it is a newbie or someone established, just pinching work

formb

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:22:36 am »
if you are only doing a job here and there and charging for traveling,you are always going to get undercut by someone with compact work doing them all ,its not really undercutting hes charging the proper price

If the customer was happy to pay £10 then he comes in and charges £6 its undercutting.

See:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/undercutting

stracey

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16:48 am »
We get four done an hour the two of us, these are quite large, think £40 hour right pricing.
£24 an hour not right price, not greedy but relistic not desperate :-\

formb

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:22:25 am »
We get four done an hour the two of us, these are quite large, think £40 hour right pricing.

Sounds cheap to me mate.

C.C.W.C

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 11:32:28 am »

yeah i think thats spot on pricing for 2 of you. youll get them back come winter when its too cold for them ;D

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 02:54:27 pm »
name and shame the Bu**ers
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 03:22:30 pm »
Nobody likes being undercut but how do you know he undercut you; that may have been his price no matter how much you were charging ...... and your ex-customer went for it.

Let this be a lesson to you; you're in business and he's now got the work you used to have 'cause he offers better value for money, at least in his customer's eyes.

It's the same in any business ::)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

martinsadie

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 03:33:22 pm »
Nobody likes being undercut but how do you know he undercut you; that may have been his price no matter how much you were charging ...... and your ex-customer went for it.

Let this be a lesson to you; you're in business and he's now got the work you used to have 'cause he offers better value for money, at least in his customer's eyes.

spot on

paul rulton

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 04:05:20 pm »

that about wraps this thread up  ;D  well put   ;)

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 04:55:43 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D n that jus about sums it up fella jus hope
e dont get the rest ov ya custys at his price
or u cud be driving his van lol doing all yr old work lol ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Platinum

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 05:37:26 pm »
Id be more worried that your losing customers rather than concentrating on the hourly rate.

Find ways of winning them back like offering more services or just simply being more competively priced. Dont forget we are in a recession and loads of window cleaners are around because there isnt any jobs about so you will get cheaper prices popping around.

Id just canvass your rounds again but at a better price and hold on to your work. When your profit margins are 80% plus there is always room to be flexable as long as you make a profit

Platinum

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 05:55:06 pm »
Think of it this way if i was trad and a guy on an estate charged £5 a house and i charged £5 we are offering the same service for the same price in the customers eyes. The only thing seperating our businesses is reliability, frequence of cleans, quality of work and whether or not we clean frames.

With WFP every system does the same things. You wash the windows and frames and thats the service. Depending on your frequency you dont have a unique selling point other than price if you are in competition with another window cleaner using a wfp system. This is when price wars will seperate you from competition.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 05:57:35 pm »
you always get what u pay for.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

formb

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 05:58:58 pm »
Think of it this way if i was trad and a guy on an estate charged £5 a house and i charged £5 we are offering the same service for the same price in the customers eyes. The only thing seperating our businesses is reliability, frequence of cleans, quality of work and whether or not we clean frames.

With WFP every system does the same things. You wash the windows and frames and thats the service. Depending on your frequency you dont have a unique selling point other than price if you are in competition with another window cleaner using a wfp system. This is when price wars will seperate you from competition.

Price wars will only ever benefit the customer.

People who undercut are silly billys

stracey

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 07:09:15 pm »
We clean all the frames WFP, of course, + doors for this price.
I will up-date you on how this develops, from experience cust comes back when
the low priced only clean one or two on the estate disappears.

A few Custs have informed me they were approuched and gave me his flyer.
One cust said he was very insistant on the door the man saying very happy
with the service and said looking at him didnt have confidance that they could
deliver better.

I will let you all know good or bad

stfc

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 07:17:59 pm »
thing is though,if you come up against a big business who has blokes working for him,and he charged £6 a time and they did 3 an hour and gave his employee £7-8 an hour hes still making profit,so they might not go away as quickly thought,as some 1 says,business is business,look after number one