Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

Carbon telescopics - be careful
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:30:16 pm »
Rather shocked to see how fast my three week old telescopic smax is wearing - see pics. I went to Halfords today to look for some ceramic oil/ptf/lubricant/teflon or anything that might help. I bought a couple of products to try.
The guy behind the desk raised his eyebrows when i told him what I wanted it for. I then had an intelligent conversation with him which surprised me (cos he worked in Halfords).
Anyway he was saying be very careful with putting anything on carbon. If the oils or solvents penetrate the weave you can kiss goodbye to your carbon pole. Things like GT80 or WD40 could break down the resin.
Carbon fibre he said was basically a glue containing woven fibre. It can soak up any solvents, expand and ultimately break down as some carbon bike frames and seatposts have been known to do. :o

Dave Willis

Re: Carbon telescopics - be careful
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:31:47 pm »
Another

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:34:39 pm »
I am trying a spot of this now. The guy didn't think it was a good idea, i've got to try something - this last batch must be made of cheese.  :o

R W C™

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:49:25 pm »
3 weeks old  :o why not call gardners im sure they would sort something out for you.....

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 04:49:50 pm »
Dave.  This might not be what you want to do but I have slowed down the wear on my SLX by using the pole hose externally.  This greatly reduces grit getting into the pole.  I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that it is the same type of carbon manufacture as it comes from the same supplier.  If external hose is not for you (and it can get in the way more), have you phoned Gardiners and asked them for some advice?

DaveG

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:13:17 pm »
Blimey Dave thats shocking :o
You can't polish a turd

matt

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:14:05 pm »
3 weeks

wow

i telll you what, my 2 and 1/2 year old RT fishing pole ( 20 quid ) looks about the same

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 05:32:27 pm »
The top pic is the tape markers - they puckered up in three days and have had to be removed to stop the sections jamming. The bottom pic is the wear on the carbon or rather the resin coating. This is by far the worst of the Gardiners poles I have ever had and is pretty crap for £650 ish of hard earned cash. The sections don't seem particularly true either - they can't be rotated in the clamps 'cos they jam.
An email will be on the way.

Dave Willis

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:41 pm »
Left a message for Gardiners. Apparently the wear is nothing to worry about and is the shiney resin coat wearing off. The layers undernearth should wear far more slowly than the outer coating. Provided the sections extend properly in line with the clamps, then the slight ovalising is acceptable.
As per normal they have offered to take the pole back for inspection.

I'd llike to see how other makes fare over the months because I have'nt used any other carbon telescopic yet.

jouk45

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:54:57 pm »
i have had mine for around 4 months now, its still very smooth, no problems no grinding, great pole

wizclean

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 08:57:25 pm »
in my experience the carbon fibre on the slx pole did wear quickly to start but eight months on still a great pole doesnt spin light and rigid , if i get a year for 200 quid in my opion better than 2 glass fibre pole which i would need defo for a year. as for smax i dont know but for that height i just use a carbon modular much better

chopsie

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »
mine is wearing.will a fishing shop have something more suitable to lubricate with? I tried putting the hose externally,but it drove me mad flapping about and kept coming undone at the t piece supplying the brush head
chopsie

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:14:41 pm »
 dry ptfe spray is the right stuff to use but when it costs the same as the wifes wedding ring and is the size of a minature deoderant I am reluctant to buy.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »
mine is wearing.will a fishing shop have something more suitable to lubricate with? I tried putting the hose externally,but it drove me mad flapping about and kept coming undone at the t piece supplying the brush head
I use a small hozelock micro tap and my magic knot to anchor the hose at the brush,you could try a wrap of pvc tape.

chopsie

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:59 pm »
any pics jeff, that meant nothing to me  ???  ;D
chopsie

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:01:13 pm »
Cripes this must be 4 years ago  :o
Not very good but... oh ignore the brush.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:31:06 pm »
My slx is nearly 2 years and seems to be working better than ever.  It looks bad but comes up nice with a clean, I can see it easily lasting another year.  I have an slx 18 thats about 4 months old and that doesn't look as bad as yours but is wearing a little faster than the original slx, however I still think it's going to see 2+ years out easily.  The one important think with this pole is looking after it, being careful where you drag the pole hose and if it does get caked in sand wiping it off, then every now and then taking the thing apart and rinsing it through.

Simon.

John Walker

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 10:58:47 pm »
In your first pic - it looks like loads of gunge over the marker tape rather than wear. 

I can't believe all the score marks - must have megger loads of grit and stuff getting in there.  I've had my slx since August 2009 - used all the time and still looks fairly new.

The Bike Hut product looks interesting though.
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 11:40:45 pm »
i have had mine for around 4 months now, its still very smooth, no problems no grinding, great pole

Same here.
I'll post some pictures of my SLX up tomorrow.

Dave take each section apart and check the inside of the top of each section, there might be some burr on the inside of the sections.
First look at the pics and it looks like its been abused well!
I am not saying you have, I am just saying it looks like it been abused.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 10:54:19 am »
Wow, my SL-X from like 1.5 years a go still looks great, very very little wear actually.

Best to give Gardiners a call/email about this.