Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jim_77

Anyone encountered this carpet before?
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:05 pm »
Was asked today to quote for cleaning this stuff, just over 300ft on the landing and 2 side rooms, plus a big stair case.  The alarm bells rang as soon as I saw it!

It's jute weft/cotton warp unless I'm very much mistaken, and I'm sure that the face yarn is polypropylene.  The last pic out of the 4 is a very close up shot of the backing.

It's glued direct onto the very rickety old floorboards in the house, no gripper no underlay ::)

I'd just be interested really to know if anyone else recognises this stuff.  I'm pretty sure it's a shrinker, and don't really think the thimble full of glue sticking it down would be anywhere near enough to hold it in place :-\  It's just how much of a shrinker it's likely to be, I might offer to do it under a disclaimer.

It's part of a bigger job so I'd like to do something.  Obviously I've advised sawdust cleaning might be the only solution, but I'm not very keen on it.

Jim_77

Re: Anyone encountered this carpet before?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:33 pm »
more pics

Colin Day

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:42:07 pm »
I thought you used VLM as well Jim..... I'd offer that or run a mile myself :D

It actually looks like that Crucial "Crapet" stuff!!!

craigp

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »
I think I cleaned this type quite alot and its been fine, cleans well unless its heavily soiled in which case sometimes can be past a point of no return.

If only lightly soiled I would lightly pre-spray and single past rinse, noses are hard as they look dirty but its partly wear. you know that anyway.

But yes I would take on. Your right it looks very much like the shrinkers hard to tell apart.

defo sus! preceed with caution.

derek west

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:56:31 pm »
i'd wet clean it, cautiously though, doesn't look like a shrinker.

craigp

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:58:31 pm »
On second look Jim I am almost certain I have cleaned this and its fine, I can recall the ribbed feeling as wanding, get this type alot in my neck of the woods.

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 08:47:05 am »
We would not extract clean it, I believe it would shrink and distort.

Its poorly fitted in terms of it not being on any underlay at all on floor boards, I would have at the very least expected to see some hessian paper under it to halt air movement, you can clearly see its lost colour which you will not be able to improve upon and on the rises because of the rising warm air, dirt and dust have impregnated it causing the darkening and staining which again will not come out with VLM.

We would only clean this using VLM subject to survey, which would indicate the above to the client and only with their approval.

markpowell

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 09:08:09 am »
I would pass on cleaning this carpet, no grippers.... just old glue!!!!!!!
I bet it would shrink on pre-spray never mind extraction.
MArk

nevil

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:15:22 am »
That's a shrinker I reckon. I wouldn't take it on, certainly not for wet cleaning anyway.

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 11:30:31 am »
Hi Jim
I have done this same type before and it will shrink big time on pre-spray alone.Luckily the owner told me this would happen as she had the carpet cleaned before ,even so even with low moisutre it shrank but went back to its pre -shrunk condition.

mark

Colin Day

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 12:30:43 pm »
Phew!!!! I was thinking for a while I was being over cautious ;D

Mike_Roper

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 01:30:16 pm »
100% shrinker.
Mike

Jim_77

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 01:34:56 pm »
cheers chaps.  I'm going to call the guy tomorrow after I've worked out how much it'll cost him.  Luckily there's a stack load of upholstery to do so I won't lose out on much if I have an abortive attempt at the carpet.

Graeme@Access

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 03:58:18 pm »
Hi,

We were begged to clean one of these so i charged appropriately and liability wavered in writing.

78 nails later it ripped a door-strip off with prespray.  Quite an awesome sight and the "i told you so" value was priceless.

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions