This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

roundbuilder

merlin owners
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:13:07 pm »
how can you tell filters need changing. my ppm before merlin is 350 and comes out between 25-35 and has done for the last 18months.
i would have thought the signs of needing to change the filters etc would be the ppm going up but if not id like to know how. also is there a better ro that would bring my ppm lower than 30's before resin.

thanks mike

clean

Re: merlin owners
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:21:13 pm »
Ive had my merlin for about 6 years now and not changed any filters in it at all my tds was around 24 when i first had it and its about 32 at the moment so i`m in rush to change  ;D

formb

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:27:07 pm »
Ive had my merlin for about 6 years now and not changed any filters in it at all my tds was around 24 when i first had it and its about 32 at the moment so i`m in rush to change  ;D

Really? My water is 50 ppm, comes out at 3. I have to change my filters every 2 months or the production slows to a near stop.

roundbuilder

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:36:26 pm »

Really? My water is 50 ppm, comes out at 3. I have to change my filters every 2 months or the production slows to a near stop.

it takes me 4-5 hours to fill 400 litres, does that sound about right to you formby? im changing resin every 6-8 weeks using 1 vessel.

thanks

roundbuilder

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:01:40 pm »
hermski you know what... im an idiot for not realising that myself...top man, will defo be doing that from now on. i must have cost myself quite a bit of resin not doing this method. thanks

G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:13:57 pm »
Dont forget to run the merlin for about 10 mins before connecting it to the resin.  Every time start up my merlin the tds comes out at 120 and after 10 mins comes down to 18ish.  Once it drops to this I connect it back to to resin.  This will help to make your resin last longer.

Yes, that is recommended.
  And I believe you should change the pre-filter every 3 months.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

roundbuilder

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:15:06 pm »
what does the pre filter do though and how much are they?

G Griffin

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:25:14 pm »
what does the pre filter do though and how much are they?

Err...it filters  ;D Not sure what though. Have a look in the Merlin hand book or Google it.
    But they are less than £20 so it doesn`t  really matter that much. I think the membranes last longer if they are changed regularly.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

roundbuilder

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:27:54 pm »
ill get myself a few filters 2moz then. thanks for input.

prestige cleaners

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:54:11 pm »
my tap water is about 75 ppm, after merlin about 1ppm,  i change my prefilter every 3 months, membranes are £150 so i think it would cost more if you didnt change the prefilter regularly.

my 650ltr tank takes about 6hrs to fill so i think yours is ok.

my resin barrells are after the tank maybe that would be better than straight after merlin?

G Griffin

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:56:54 pm »
my tap water is about 75 ppm, after merlin about 1ppm,  i change my prefilter every 3 months, membranes are £150 so i think it would cost more if you didnt change the prefilter regularly.

my resin barrells are after the tank maybe that would be better than straight after merlin?
Why use resin if you get 1ppm after the Merlin?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

prestige cleaners

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 10:07:50 pm »

Why use resin if you get 1ppm after the Merlin?

well it does rise to 15ppm when the filter needs changing, plus sometimes i bypass the filter in an emergency so thats why.

i change the resin every 6 months or so. ive still got 3/4 of a sack of resin, lasted me over 2 yrs!

G Griffin

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »
Fair enough. And I suppose you`ve already got it so you might as well use it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:12:53 pm »
Yes always change them to protect the 2 membrains.  Pre filters are about £20 a pop.   The merlin has 1 prefilter and 2 membrains

Hermski.  Do you have an additional pre-filter too?
Mine is set up to have a 20" pre-filter before the merlin setup (for sediment)  then on the merlin, as you say, its a pre filter followed by two membranes.  The prefilter within the merlin is to take out carbon/chlorine I think and it's about 17"

JamesTurnbull

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 11:02:40 pm »
I have just got my merlin from sure clean systems,

they Cutomised a Merlin unit by fitting a 10in sediment filter to the leg, plus make it to hoselock connectors

http://www.surecleansystems.com/proddetail.asp?prod=56

By putting a sediment filter before your merlin, it helps a great deal if you have very sediment water.

if you have a read of the merlin brochure, they recommend a sediment filter before the merlin, in certain areas.

prestige cleaners

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 11:38:46 pm »
yeah i should get one of those, got rust spots in my housing. how much does it slow down the water?

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:34 am »
you should be hanging the pre filter every 6 months - this will protect the membranes.

the water rate slows the older the filter gets  my 400 ltr  tank slowed to 6 hours for a fill up     now its back to taking just over 3.

i got a good deal from wrekin water supplies   fliter  22.00 quid inc vat with free delivery.

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 08:48:56 am »
Yes always change them to protect the 2 membrains.  Pre filters are about £20 a pop.   The merlin has 1 prefilter and 2 membrains

Hermski.  Do you have an additional pre-filter too?
Mine is set up to have a 20" pre-filter before the merlin setup (for sediment)  then on the merlin, as you say, its a pre filter followed by two membranes.  The prefilter within the merlin is to take out carbon/chlorine I think and it's about 17"

Hi Paul,

I use a water softner before the merlin. takes about 10tds off the reading after the ro for me.  I dont use any other filter though.  I did hear about using anoher 20" filter, do you find it helps ?  My filter and membrains on my merlin is 20"

Not sure if it helps or not as I've never tried it without.  This is what was recommended to me by the guy who installed it and he had a lot of experience with this type of thing so I took him at his word.
I think you will find that merlin filters are a little shorter than the more usual 20" filters that go into independent housings.  I mistakenly bought a 20" pre filter once and it was too long.  At least that's how I remember it.  I think the merlin ones are about 17".  This was quite a while ago and I may recall this wrongly.  I'll check it out when I get the chance.
That softener sounds interesting.  Is it more cost effective using softener than using extra resin?

roundbuilder

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 07:51:40 pm »
Just noticed cleeen. you only work the mornings of the weekends.  And u saying you change resin every 6 weeks ?   you must be using no more than 400lts of water a week.   Thats a high amount to use after the merlin.  At that rate it should last 6 - 8 months before a change.  

i work 5-6 days a week mate.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 11:57:21 pm »

Hi Paul,

I just order the the product where i see Merlin filters so never really measured them.

I use the watersoftner to reduce the chlorine to which I am told protects the membrains life and improves TDS a bit, so worth it for me, as its not just the resin I am saving on.  I does cost me though £20 to buy 25kg of salt which I use a litre every time I fill tank

Nice one.  I didn't cotton on to it reducing wear on the membranes as well as reducing resin usage.  I may well give that a try in the future.
Cheers.