Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

derek west

what would you do?
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:15:48 pm »
i know what i'm gonna do but thought i'd throw it out there to discuss

did a job for an old lady, her daughter contacted us through referal from there house cleaner, did the survey, wool living room carpet, only smallish, covered in red wine stains. quoted £60. booked the job then the day before she cancelled saying her mum had to go into hospital, "no problem i said, let me know when your ready and we'll rebook. anyway she rang and rebooked, she said her mum was still in hospital but getting better so can i do it before she comes out cos that would be easier. any way did the job, carpet was like new when we'd finished, got the cheque and away we went.

got the cheque back from the bank today saying "drawer deceased" i'm guessing that means she's passed away!

your thoughts gentlemen please................................

jasonl

Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:22:38 pm »
Write back asking who the executor is , and send in the invoice to them.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:23:11 pm »
Contact the daughter who arranged for you to do the job.
I'm presuming she had power of attourney so was signing her mothers cheques, but she didn't waste any time getting that account closed did she. Most people would leave it open for a while to get things all squared up before closing them down.

Colin Day

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »
I would probably not bother chasing £60 because it will probably take up too much time and effort! Then again, if it was during a quiet spell, I'd think differently probably!

Carpet Genie

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »
Assuming you know the address of the daughter i'd write a letter to her saying how sorry you are about the loss of her mother, enclosing the cheque and asking for alternative payment.
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:02:09 pm »
Derek as long as you go about it the right way there is no problem i agree with the above post.

will the gas electric telephone companys wright there bills off no cause they are proffesional companys and you are no different quick call or note express your simpify and wait for payment.
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:29 pm »
Phone the daughter but i'd say wait a week or two. Go straight to the contact that booked the job. my 2cents

Tony

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:54:02 pm »
i know what i'm gonna do but thought i'd throw it out there to discuss

did a job for an old lady, her daughter contacted us through referal from there house cleaner, did the survey, wool living room carpet, only smallish, covered in red wine stains. quoted £60. booked the job then the day before she cancelled saying her mum had to go into hospital, "no problem i said, let me know when your ready and we'll rebook. anyway she rang and rebooked, she said her mum was still in hospital but getting better so can i do it before she comes out cos that would be easier. any way did the job, carpet was like new when we'd finished, got the cheque and away we went.

got the cheque back from the bank today saying "drawer deceased" i'm guessing that means she's passed away!

your thoughts gentlemen please................................

Hya Derek, dont fall for that old chestnut  :o its plain to see the daughter works at the bank  ;D

No seriously: wait a few weeks and contact the daughter, if you dont know her address, just post a letter to the job address explaining that the cheque for the job you completed was returned, I am very sure the daughter will pay you. At this moment in time it will be the last thing on her mind. 

When my nan died a few years ago, she spent her last few months in a elderly persons home, my mum was clearing the room out 2 days after her mum had died, and to her disgust the manager of the home came in to the room and informed her that my nan owed £4.50 for her morning paper bill, you can imagine my old dears response  :-X

Leave it a bit mate!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:09:27 pm »
I'd agree with Westy just leave it so long then send a kind reminder with a 'thanks Derek' at the end to keep it soft.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »
Ye agree with the above derek and maybe just say the cheque was returned to you and play it by ear then.

Otherwise let it go mate ???

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 09:57:56 pm »
well it's a legitimate bill to be paid from the deceased's estate. But if you don't want to be waiting ages for payemnt then do as everybody suggests and contact the daughter as you already have a "relationship" with her and when you do after a suitable period you'll get paid as the daughter will see that as one less headache to deal with.

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 10:05:30 pm »
Hi Roger how did the talk go?

Shaun

PS are you going to Tankersley Manor again this year?

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 10:17:41 pm »
Very well thanks Shaun but I really think it's upto my audience to comment.

I enjoyed giving it and preparing it.

we're planing to go to TANKERSLEY in the second half of April. I'll get in touch if it happens and we'll arrange a further meet-up. Since you don't drink alcohol I think it's only fair you buy a round of drinks as your drinks are more expensive. ;D

only kidding!

Roger
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

calmore

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 09:06:57 am »
My four penneth....As most have suggested above, leave it three weeks then write a letter expressing your condolences but enclosing the cheque and asking for an alternative method of payment. Explain that you understand it's a difficult time and maybe give them a couple of months grace in order to sort things out.

You never know, if handled sensitively it could lead to more jobs in the future. ("Ooooh, that Mr West was sooo understanding and helpful when Mrs Miggins died", etc..etc)
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

derek west

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:03 am »
My four penneth....As most have suggested above, leave it three weeks then write a letter expressing your condolences but enclosing the cheque and asking for an alternative method of payment. Explain that you understand it's a difficult time and maybe give them a couple of months grace in order to sort things out.

You never know, if handled sensitively it could lead to more jobs in the future. ("Ooooh, that Mr West was sooo understanding and helpful when Mrs Miggins died", etc..etc)
weird and very close.....

it was higgins,

mystic calmore ;D

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 09:27:57 am »

Send a copy of the cheque, not an original. Otherwise 3 weeks, kind letter, sympathy.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 04:36:25 pm »
Roger how very dare you! paying is such a filthy word ;D

Shaun

stevehinnis

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 06:16:07 pm »
Phone her up, tell her the cheques no good in a polite way and go and get cash of her, as that is what you would prefer.
We don’t bust our balls cleaning for nothing. We have a living to make.
Steve.

calmore

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 09:28:17 pm »

weird and very close.....

it was higgins,

mystic calmore ;D

Weird, indeed!

Maybe I could combine clairvoyancy and carpet cleaning??! Tell people what their carpet is thinking while cleaning it?

(The only reason I said "Mrs Miggins" was because it was a running gag in Blackadder, "Mrs Miggins pie shop")

Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

derek west

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 04:48:43 pm »
quick update.

i did nothing, was gonna leave it a few months, got a call from the deceased daughter on saturday while i was in the smartseal training course, she apologised and said she would sort it, got a new cheque yesterday for the full amount. everything hunky dori.