This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rich fraser

purifying rain water?
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:11:22 pm »
I have set up two 250L tanks next to the down pipes at home, as it was persisting it down today. The water in the tanks looks a little mercy and has a tds of 15. I assume the mercyness is the silt like substance that gets washed off the roof tiles, and i guess this will sink to the bottom. I tested the water that was in my parents water butt just down the road and that had a reading of 004. As there was no mercyness in theres, i just transfered it into the van tank and used it as it was with no troubles. Should i  pass the water at my house through my sediment and carbon pre filters? I have a booster pump if I need to do this and I understand I should put the filters before the pump to avoid damaging it.
Any advice please peeps :D

Gav Camm lammy 283

Re: purifying rain water?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 05:27:44 pm »
wally the window cleaners ya man for rain
water info fella  ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

paul rulton

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 05:28:11 pm »
had no idea that our rain water would read that low ::)

Dougaldum

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »
got to put it though resin to get that nice shine and finish on windows AGAIN BIG SAVINGS

rich fraser

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:06:04 pm »
are all the little bits of grit and crap off the roof going to ruin my resin though?

Dougaldum

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »
Put some nylon netting folded over at the top of the downpipe to catch the big bits. Tie another piece around the pipe going into the water butt. Then put some more over the submersible pump when you pump the water out before it goes through the resin. Rinse the pieces of nylon once a month to get rid of any bits that get caught. Saves loads on resin and water bills. I've had no complaints from customers in the 4 yrs I've been using rainwater. In fact ones who complain about the amount of water used are happy once I tell them I collect rainwater instead of using tapwater. Just make sure you tell them the resin costs a lot of money or they think it's costing you nothing!

rich fraser

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:37:26 pm »
Any recommendations on where to pick this stuff up from? Cheers for the advice

Dougaldum

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:44:28 pm »
Any material shop. They usually have off cut pieces for a couple of pounds. Just ask for nylon voile.

chopsie

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »
use your misses's tights  ;D
chopsie

Dougaldum

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »
Yes you can use tights but need a few layers. my mate tried it but the bits went through. voile is thicker so catches bits but water can still go through. Lasts longer too you just need to wash it out regularly.

rich fraser

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:54:01 pm »
use your misses's tights  ;D
i ripped them all pullin em off with my teeth!