This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Wallace

How do you see yourself?
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »
The way I see it there are two types of window cleaners. (not counting those employed by another)
There are the guys who see themselves running a window cleaning business, and those who are cleaning windows to earn a living.
The businessman has a totally different outlook towards many things than the guy who is earning his weekly wage, for instance.... a post today highlighted how some see money owed by a customer.
There are guys in my area who clean all day and collect almost every night, Why? Because they see a day’s work only as a day’s work and the money earned as their wages.  If the customer does not pay up within a week or two it’s taken personally. but from a business point of view having an outstanding balance is normal practice, and chasing around in the evenings is dead time.
How do you see yourself? Are you building a business or earning a wage? Perhaps you see it as both.
And just so its clear I don’t have a negative opinion about either. This is not a criticism in any way; I think whatever suits the individual is fine, just like trad v wfp. As long as the window is clean I don’t think it matters how it’s done.

paul rulton

Re: How do you see yourself?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:37:16 pm »
im deffo the 2nd 1  :o more 2 life than work n stress  :o i earn a good wage 4the few hours
aday that i do. & dont want or need anything esle  :D im happy in life n thats priceless  ;D

daz1977

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:39:41 pm »
i started out to earn a wage, but slowly turning it in to a business,   the  biggest problem i have seen is boredom and i think this is what stops a lot of people from doing that little bit extra to turn there wage in to a business, they hit a level and stop at it

but saying that i am happy with what i am doing at the mo, just get bored some times and other times excitied about wc

paul rulton

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »
well put daz  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:44 pm »
i collect usually once a week for 2 hours although i can live on the money i get in as i clean!im usually owed a few hundred at anyone time.ill get it in the end. ;) ;D ;D

im defo turning my round into more of a business and my pricing is getting better and refining my round.i get plenty of extras like conny roofs/fascia/soffit cleans rolling in.also i have a few small commercial jobs now.

ill be getting a new van soon and wfp so i can call myself THE COMPLETE WINDOW CLEANER!

LADDERS/TRAD POLE/SCRIMS/SQUEEGYS/WATER FED POLE!! ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 05:09:24 pm »
I run a business, all be it there are only myself and my wife that draw a wage from it. I stopped collecting years ago as it is dead time as the money comes in via the envelopes I leave and bank transfers. I hate asking for money and hate people fishing for 'change' from their kids. Thats how some view us as the guy who pops round for his few coins. Now I charge in £5.00's with a starting price of £10.00 where possible.   This has changed how my customers view us.

lee_dewing

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »
I see myself as building a business, and in order to build a prosperous future, i need prompt payment. ;)
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

lozsing

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 05:19:45 pm »
I don't think there is any difference, its all to get the same results,

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 05:20:32 pm »
stuart sunshine cleaning you sound like a bit of a snob to me matey!THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH COLLECTING!!

it keeps me in touch with my business and customers.i get extra work and iron out any problems that arise from time to time.we already living in an increasing "faceless" society and im not joining it!!

i do leave SAE for stand alone out of the way accounts but i have alot of very compact work so its easy to collect!!AND i like to chat to my custys sometimes and see how there getting on!i dont just see them as cash cows!

some of us are a bit more human and down to earth!

whatever people think of me I DONT CARE!!WHY SHOULD I??!!

A lot of my custys are great! ;)
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:22:17 pm »
I see myself as building a business, and in order to build a prosperous future, i need prompt payment. ;)

No to build a business you need to be more concerned about the 'value' of the work you do rather than spending time worrying about a couple of £100 outstanding. Get the work done and the money will come in.

A 'business' will generate 100-150% more money than the wage bill. If you need £300 in your pocket aim to turn over £600. Then you will be building a business.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 05:27:32 pm »
stuart sunshine cleaning you sound like a bit of a snob to me matey!THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH COLLECTING!! You could be right on both counts my friend

it keeps me in touch with my business and customers.i get extra work and iron out any problems that arise from time to time.we already living in an increasing "faceless" society and im not joining it!!All my customers have my contact details and all of them know what I look like

i do leave SAE for stand alone out of the way accounts but i have alot of very compact work so its easy to collect!!AND i like to chat to my custys sometimes and see how there getting on!i dont just see them as cash cows!Sorry but I'm in business to generate money, if they are in when I call i will have a brief chat but I stopped collecting and seeing them in an evening so that I could spend more time with MY family

some of us are a bit more human and down to earth!I do charity work does that count?

whatever people think of me I DONT CARE!!WHY SHOULD I??!! You sound stressed. Chill baby!  ;D

A lot of my custys are great! ;)

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 05:35:08 pm »
i hear what your saying stuart, i do my best but have school runs to deal with certain days of the week and there is always the issue of lost time to rain.

I do work through showery days and in very light drizzle.

I suppose that is one of my failings, getting the ump when i've cleaned someone's windows to a high standard and provide them with a reliable service.

I then put a s.a.e through the door, and they forgot, these are usually the custy's moaning about unreliable w/c's ;D

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 06:03:40 pm »
Lee, the key is to work whenever you can for as long as you can, as quickly as possible while giving excellent service. The customer will either pay you or be replaced, you have the upper hand. If they get replaced do so at a higher rate.
We all have circumstances which can curtail our work, for me the key was to stop worrying about things out of my control. They will pay, sometimes their circumstances meen they don't have cash availiable.
Staying positive is vital for running any business. You will overcome this situation.

Stuart

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 06:49:11 pm »
thanks stuart.

I think i've got abit lazy.

will be out canvassing april-may.

higher priced work.

want to try and offer an indoor window clean service, but only for wet days.

i.e have on website and let existing custy's know.

idea is list of custy's;  soon as weather too bad for outside, call em up.

thinking of £20 min for this, if i could fit 4 in on a pooty weather day, then that's better than nothing.

i'm surprised at how many windy's wont do insides, i quite like doing em but feel abit cheated being inside on a good weather day :D

Sean Dyer

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 07:31:17 pm »
I run a business, all be it there are only myself and my wife that draw a wage from it. I stopped collecting years ago as it is dead time as the money comes in via the envelopes I leave and bank transfers. I hate asking for money and hate people fishing for 'change' from their kids. Thats how some view us as the guy who pops round for his few coins. Now I charge in £5.00's with a starting price of £10.00 where possible.   This has changed how my customers view us.

where you at the nvq in manchester today stuart?

seen your van in car park

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:22 am »
thanks stuart.

I think i've got abit lazy.

will be out canvassing april-may.

higher priced work.

want to try and offer an indoor window clean service, but only for wet days.

i.e have on website and let existing custy's know.

idea is list of custy's;  soon as weather too bad for outside, call em up. Good idea Lee. Around this time I do a 'special' email me your email and I will dig it out for you

thinking of £20 min for this, if i could fit 4 in on a pooty weather day, then that's better than nothing.

i'm surprised at how many windy's wont do insides, i quite like doing em but feel abit cheated being inside on a good weather day :D

Pj

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 08:48:54 am »
In 1983 I started off with nothing, and I've slowly worked my way up to extreme poverty! ;D

lee_dewing

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 08:53:28 am »
stuart,

l.dewing@btinternet.com

thanks, off to dodge in and out of them showers ;D

daz1977

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 08:54:05 am »
In 1983 I started off with nothing, and I've slowly worked my way up to extreme poverty! ;D
lol

i know what u mean,  when i started this business it cost be about a grand and i aint leaving till i have made it back ;D ;D

chopsie

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 08:57:21 am »
I am just about making a very poor living at the moment,but i think i will be happy to treat the job as a wage rather than a business,if i can make a good living out of it then i will be happy,but who knows i may get a bit more adventurous in the future and turn it into a business,one step at a time though  :)
chopsie