This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

New van, good business sense?
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:24:38 pm »
I have always driven cheapish, but tidy vans.
I can see that having a new van will look and feel good, but does it make sense from a cold hard cash point of view.
I buy ex Post vans, well maintained, but cheap and ugly.
Cost £2000 lasts 3 or 4 years. approx £750 a year in vehicle cost only (not servicing costs and fuel etc.)
Kudos, being flash etc have never bothered me I prefer the cash in the bank. But I can't help wondering...
A new van would certainly cost more in depreciation, and HP costs. But would it definitely bring in more business?
What are peoples' opinions on that?

daz1977

Re: New van, good business sense?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:34:37 pm »
i personally try to buy cash, as dont like a lot on the monthly, as took me a long time to get out of debt and dont want to get in to it again, whilst i am a small company,  that might change in the future if the compnay gets bigger and i got to get bigger newer vans,

as long as ur business can afford to buy a new van, go for it as can claim it back and looks better,   but then there is the school of thought than a flash van puts off custy as they think you will charge a fortune to pay for the van,  put a crap van = crap work

i think a new van looks good on commercial work  but a older van can look better on domestic,  but all depends on ur custy market

hotsteam

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:35:53 pm »
As long as your van is clean & tidy no probs.
A new flash van the customer thinks I'm paying for that at an increased charge, Am I right ?
Hotsteam

idealrob

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:39:35 pm »
Some customers are glad you are doing well, looking at new van this week, but all gone up 50% because of weak pound & euro
New fiat Doblo starts at £12,000 plus vat goung upto to £16k plus vat
Bought a brand new Citroen Berlingo lx, 4 years ago, electric windows, heated elec mirrors, remote cental locking etc £4600 plus vat. Been fantastic,

idealrob

paul rulton

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:01 pm »
a good van is a good van  ;D it make no difference if it cost £1000 or £10,000 m8.  ;D

Dave Turley

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 04:25:34 pm »
I'm also having the new van quandry for next march.

If you do go new, you've also got the loan/lease/contract hire/pcp/hp/god knows what options to think about.

(unless you're loaded)

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 04:35:27 pm »
Some customers are glad you are doing well, looking at new van this week, but all gone up 50% because of weak pound & euro
New fiat Doblo starts at £12,000 plus vat goung upto to £16k plus vat
Bought a brand new Citroen Berlingo lx, 4 years ago, electric windows, heated elec mirrors, remote cental locking etc £4600 plus vat. Been fantastic,

idealrob

You got a good deal there!

So if you do pay 16k, even if you kept the van for 10 years, that's still £1600 a year.

So aside from looks are there any benefits to having a new van.
I have always got good commercial work through my website and yell.com not really thru my van.
So my feeling at the mo' is that I will carry on with cheap but tidy vans.
I find the water rusts them anyway, and you end up dragging a hose across the paintwork.  ;D

dave.e

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:45:28 pm »
I have had new vans  and have had alot of old one;s to the customers don;t give a monkey what you drive so long as you do a good job and the price is right. if you do get comments on how old your van is then just say to custy you could buy a new van but you will have to put up there price you watch them shut up and no more is said the look on there face;s priceless

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:25 pm »
I think the best buys are three year old vans, when the lease company has done with them. Some proper bargains on these. ;)

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »
try gary at gtleasing wrexham top bloke  ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 05:26:46 pm »
I think the best buys are three year old vans, when the lease company has done with them. Some proper bargains on these. ;)

Where do you find these?

Auctions or smaller, independant commercial dealers.

Most used commercial dealers buy from auction or direct from fleet company when the vans reach 3 years old. ;)

lcwalker

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 05:39:49 pm »
Well i have an old S reg VW T4 i cant afford better, but my brothers is a self employed builder and he had a P reg VW T4 crewcab pickup (ideal for his job i thought) but it wasn't good enough for him or he might have thought for his customers.I think he's like me thinks customers look down on an older van/truck but this just could be our way of thinking my brother now has a 56 plate vivaro van, do customers judge you by what you drive your thoughts?.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 06:18:47 pm »
Nearly 6 years ago I bought a kangoo which was just 3 years old from an independant small dealer who had got it direct from auction for £3150 inc' vat.

I've just replaced it with a '07 fiat doblo cargo, 34k miles, fsh, mint etc for £3250 (no vat) private sale.

So, I've had good, clean, reliable vans for not much money if you work it out.

prestige cleaners

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 06:27:02 pm »
i think as long as its clean and tidy and signwritten then doesnt matter if its 10years old,

but i was lucky got a fiat scudo 2.0jtd fully fitted with a wfp system and 1 yr old for £8k  ;D

as long as it lasts me 10 yrs i will be happy.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 07:34:34 pm »

when i get one thats gonna be my choice its how i buy my cars

the main hit of depreciationis taken and the mileage mostly has just about broke the engine in!

Plus if looked after its nearly new

only issues are no warranty, mot starts etc

handy for small businesses but if a large company i can see the advantages in new vans

Ian101

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 11:27:43 pm »

Is that Gary Thomas used to be at Mayfair  / Stella Fleet Disposals ??

matt

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:30 pm »
i do not think the customer cares what you drive, they want clean windows

do window cleaners buy new vans to make them feel good about themselves ? ?? ??

poleman

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 12:02:58 am »
I would never go new as soon as you drive it off the forcourt you have lost thousands! go for one two or three year old with full service historty! I went to the auctions and saved thousands of pounds

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 03:13:44 pm »

Is that Gary Thomas used to be at Mayfair  / Stella Fleet Disposals ??
gary thomas yes
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

paul rulton

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 03:28:03 pm »
lammy, thanks 4 puttin my name 4ward 2ur m8  ;D  ;)
gutted was unable 2help out this time  :(