Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian B

PARKING ON PAVEMENTS
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:20:07 pm »
I have been asked to do a business in the town centre. It is situated right on a busy main road, double yellow lines, and traffic lights. the boss says that I can park on the pavement (right of access), but I'm not sure. I have been in touch with the local council, as they control the traffic wardens, but so far have not received a reply. Has anyone come accross this situation before?

Sapphire Window Cleaning

Re: PARKING ON PAVEMENTS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:24:44 pm »
I have been asked to do a business in the town centre. It is situated right on a busy main road, double yellow lines, and traffic lights. the boss says that I can park on the pavement (right of access), but I'm not sure. I have been in touch with the local council, as they control the traffic wardens, but so far have not received a reply. Has anyone come accross this situation before?

Right, I got this information by several traffic wardens, if you are WFP and are seen as working directly from your vehicle you CAN park on double yellow lines.
I was working from my van last year when I saw the traffic warden, he told me its fine as I am working directly from the vehicle.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

JSMC

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:27:14 pm »
parking ona pavement is an obstruction i am sure and you can get done for it

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:41:41 pm »
Your right,

Matt is right also in some way, you need to look for the signs, ie loading unloading, no parking ect, most of the time you will be parked and will/can get done for it.

you best bet is to call these people as no people on here unless they clean this raod would know the answer.

I would seek there advice tbh

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

John Walker

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:55:57 pm »
I also wonder what the situation is for trailing hoses all over the pavements. 

The other day I watched a couple of guys working from a busy pavement where they had parked and they had hoses trailing everywhere as they worked.  They had put a yellow sign out but it was only to one side of where they were working.

Pedestrians were having to step over the hoses and they were getting wet from water dripping.

I just couldn't work like that.  I'd be in a constant state of concern that someone was going trip or complain that I had ruined their clothes with dirty water.  These guys were completely oblivious to all of this.

This was in the centre of Canterbury by a company with a flash professional looking van etc.  If you're on this forum - you will know it's you I'm talking about  ;D
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

matt

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:18 pm »
Having been here and done it when i worked for the council

you will get a ticket, you are causing a obstruction and that will be a danger to the public, a member of the police ( PCSO would be the guess ) will give you a ticket

the boss of the company is going to say " oh its allright mate, just park away "

your solution would be to get a backpack, stop and drop of barrel with water in, park van and walk with your pole and backpack, job done

niceandclean

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:06:20 pm »

Right, I got this information by several traffic wardens, if you are WFP and are seen as working directly from your vehicle you CAN park on double yellow lines.
I was working from my van last year when I saw the traffic warden, he told me its fine as I am working directly from the vehicle.

Matt

I wouldn't park on the pavements if you can help it. In Cambridge we park on yellow lines and have never had a problem with the wardens. To be fair they are a contracted firm here, but they are always fine with us. Got a couple that we do trad, really old sash georgians, but still pull the hose out to make it look like we are poleing  ;D

daz1977

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:07:39 pm »
can you not do it early in the morning, as usually they are less likely to give you a ticket, if the roads arnt busy

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:04:33 pm »
Daz in Leicester and Essex, doesn't matter about double yellows if you are seen as working directly from your vehicle.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

stagcleaning

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 10:58:05 pm »
I agree and I've heard countless stories of people getting done for it.

paul saunders

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:59:54 pm »
I once parked in a "permit holders only" space, the traffic warden said that as I was doing my job, I was ok to park there. The parking space was outside the custies house.
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 11:01:33 pm »
i drove straight into eagles meadow
shopping mall other week in wrexham  ;D ;D
 manager was aving a fit  ;D ;D ;D it was early though
how i laughed  ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

windowswashed

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 12:12:36 am »
I clean outside a cop shop sometimes....as long as I have warning signs out, leave enough room for wheelchair users, they don't mind.

Traffic wardens won't book me on double yellow lines if I'm working close by...but park in metered parking spaces and they will definitely book me, (fact).

Andy Foster

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 12:23:03 am »
According to my neighbour who is an advanced driving instructor, it is NOT illegal to park on the pavement as long as you are not causing an obstruction (pedestrians can pass easily) but it IS illegal to drive on the pavement and getting on and off is counted as driving!
Another stupid law thought up by 2 different people at 2 different times!  ::) ::)

trevor perry

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 07:12:17 am »
the federation did an article in their magazine about parking whilst using water fed pole some time back but i cant find it may be someone can post it as i thimk it was a good article to send in as an a appeal if you recieved a ticket, from memory i think there where certain things you had to do ie put cones around your vehicle.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:42 am »
Round here you would certainly get a ticket for parking on the pavement - zero tolerance. There is something about a vehicle that is supplying a service from it like heating oil or water having some rights but the wardens round here are as thick as you know what and wouldn't care anyway. They will ticket a hearse outside a church so what chance would we stand.

You have to remember that parking is not covered by law in most cases its local bye laws so they can literally make it up as they go along.

jonnyald

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 08:09:01 am »
i nearly got caught the other week.  it was on the edge of town and first thing in the morning , i parked up half on a pavement and got cleaning, i never realized these bods float round in vans looking always thought they worked a beat on foot.  he saw me carrying my ladders though and let me off 

yesterday i stopped in a 30min parkin bay while i bought a paper and once back in my car i noticed 2 wardens in a van watchin me .i read the first page of paper and moved off sharpish ! maybe theyv now got the technology to just send me a fine automatically ,i saw one of em had hold of what looked like a phone but maybe was a camera

Johnny B

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:04 am »
If you have no choice but to park on double yellow lines, could you not speak to the customer with a view to getting them to pay the parking fine if you get one while cleaning their premises?

Or, what about, if you get a fine and the above isn't happening, couldn't you include it in your tax returns as a business expense?

Just a couple if ideas to consider.  :)

John.   
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

williamx

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 09:30:46 am »
I park all the time on yellow lines and pavements and I have only had one ticket, this was when I parked in a loading zone on a red route.

I appealed that ticket pointing at the whad 2005 as evidence that I need to work from a van using wfp and the ticket was cancelled.  I did also say that if the ticket was upheld then all work that I do for the council and its employees would be cancelled. 8)

I have also seen a UPS van getting a ticket on a high st when he parked up to delivery a parcel, so I think that either the traffic wardens are allowed to use common sense or they don't know who they can ticket or not.

paul rulton

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 09:35:35 am »
Matt
with u on this Matt  ;D never get any probs wiv parkin round here  ;) big up the white van man ;D