Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Wizard

Re: The safe use of ladders
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 10:10:19 pm »
Wfp verses sqeegee
Ladders verses WfP
Trad verses W F P .
Do you guys not have some thing better to say its so worn out over and over and over.

idealrob

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 10:33:57 pm »
Its not about trad v wfp or the same old story, its about safe use of ladders as the post said, people come up with their opinions as though thats is the law and wont accept the law and guidence to stop shattering lives as the advert says.

To be safe on ladders the law says it has to be secured. Fact. please if you know this to be wrong please explain & back it up with facts, not hearsay or what a mate said. Thats why we have the WAHR

most, and again imo 98 % of w/c that use a ladder dont secure them, come up with so called 6 or 9 metre rules, but wont give the WAHR reference to back it up

The forum is full of opinions and as my grandad said "they know everything, but dont know enough"

idealrob

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 11:05:48 pm »
cause monkeys like you cant use a mop and squeege ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

james44

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 11:17:40 pm »
I think if you read through wahr they are not trying to ban ladders just to promote there safe use which everyone should be doing full stop!

Now the point that concerns me is when will they start pushing hard on the use on wfp and it`s safe use

with so many newcomers coming into window cleaning because of wfp and have little or no experiance,

if you look at the h&s website it says there are more deaths from slips& trips than there is from ladder deaths

idealrob

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 10:12:15 am »
Good points James, the only thing with regard to slips & trips agains ladders, is more everyone working has to walk etc, but only a few have to use a ladder, and after WAHR, you can only use a ladder after consulting other safer options
I do go along with the point of newcomers on WFP, I am surprised no one has really got a good franchise with many redundancies today.

idealrob

paul rulton

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 10:17:09 am »
personaly 4 me.... a safe ladder is the 1 i aint up :P miss trad dont miss ladders  ;D

james44

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 10:29:12 am »
you can only use a ladder after consulting other safer options
agree with you idealrob

But if they are saying that
there are more deaths from slips& trips than there is from ladder deaths
does this really mean wfp to be a safer option?

then the answer is no! safer option would be trad pole there is not as far as i believe any issues with H&s using a trad pole

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 10:53:59 am »
you can only use a ladder after consulting other safer options
agree with you idealrob

But if they are saying that
there are more deaths from slips& trips than there is from ladder deaths
does this really mean wfp to be a safer option?

then the answer is no! safer option would be trad pole there is not as far as i believe any issues with H&s using a trad pole

James44...how you getting on with the dial-a-clean service mate?

idealrob

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 11:57:30 am »
We just used a traditional pole for years from unger, ok on domestics clean quite often, no good for 3 montlys on large chemical sites and office block goes upto 4 th floor.
Perfect and more safer than wfp on first floor, no trailing hoses, less water to slip on etc, and how many w/c think of using poles to save working at height. No van needed and a lot cheaper, especially for Bumper

idealrob

ivesonswc

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 12:01:00 pm »
i preffer ladders you can't see you customers getting dressed from the ground  ;D :o ;D

Scrimble

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 02:44:14 pm »
heres an example of safe use of ladders,

poleman

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 03:23:38 pm »
What a bunch of ladder monkeys they are!  ::) look at the top of the ladder! no 4 points of contact  :o

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 04:21:55 pm »
It's interesting the opening comments of the law. Notice the law is placed upon employers and not those self employed.

SCHEDULE 6
Regulation 8(e)

REQUIREMENTS FOR LADDERS

1. Every employer shall ensure that a ladder is used for work at height only if a risk assessment under regulation 3 

So for a sole trader to pull up at a 3 bed semi and clean with ladders would be ok, but if a window cleaner and his lad that he employes do the same he would be breaking the law unless wfp or another method was not an option.

Simon. 

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 04:35:53 pm »
ive just been told by a mate down the pub that ladders are not banned as long as they are left on the roofrack.  ;) ;)you now get 5 years for climbing a ladder and 10 years for smoking while on a ladder .so tradders put them cigs out while scrimming

james44

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 04:40:13 pm »
There are so many grey areas  and contradicting!

When are they going to be imposing the safe use of wfp?

ivesonswc

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 05:02:09 pm »
It won't be long before h&s tell the wfp guys that you need someone with you at all times to let the public know about trailing hoses and dripping water ect;D ::) ;D

james44

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:53 pm »
Ivesonswc You are not allowed to have trailling hoses on public footpaths or highways( ie roads)

David_Harris

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 11:18:39 pm »
WFP may be safer from a falling off point of view but what damage will they do to you muscular skeletal wise over many years.  Who knows

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 08:19:28 am »
WFP may be safer from a falling off point of view but what damage will they do to you muscular skeletal wise over many years.  Who knows

Less damage than lugging a huge heavy ladder, of that I am confident!

james44

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 10:15:36 am »
nathaneal i would not be so confident!

ladders are a lot lighter these days and there are correct ways to carry and use them to prevent strains

the same applies to wfp use but this seems to me from reading posts on this and other forums to be getting ignored one common complaint from using wfp is neck strain this is totally unavoidable now this is surely going to have lasting damage you are more at risk using wfp to have muscle damage wfp may be safer to use but it does have risks!