Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Moderator David@stives

Seriously thinking of subbing it all out
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:42:43 pm »
I am getting fed up with sorting poles, vans, controllers, staff, routes, etc every evening.

I already sub out a good amount of work in Plymouth, Devon and Dorset and Somerset. I am seriously thinking of winding the staff down and subbing most of it out.

I was speaking to some guys at Windex and it works for them, maybe that is the next logical solution.

paul rulton

Re: Seriously thinking of subbing it all out
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:47:04 pm »
flipping heck David  :o thats a huge area you cover  :o
& BEAUTIFUL part of the country  ;D

Craig 72

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:50:48 pm »
Sorry to hear you're getting cheesed off but if you do go down that route I would be interested in any work in North Devon near Bideford.My parents moved down that way last year and it would be a good excuse to go down and spend some time down there if I had a bit of work.

s.w.c

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:52:11 pm »
sub in most of it out and keeping a little bit to give you something to do, to me this makes sense.

Platinum

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:53:00 pm »
How was you thinking of structuring the monthly payments etc?

Im interested in maybe subbing some of my current work out as my other business gets busy.

Cheers
Danny

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 07:53:38 pm »
I am getting fed up with sorting poles, vans, controllers, staff, routes, etc every evening.

I already sub out a good amount of work in Plymouth, Devon and Dorset and Somerset. I am seriously thinking of winding the staff down and subbing most of it out.

I was speaking to some guys at Windex and it works for them, maybe that is the next logical solution.

Dave that is something I would strongly advise you to  think hard about.
I know you would be looking at all the angles like profit margins, reliability, running costs etc.

Wouldnt it be benefitial to have one of your guys to check and sort out all the equipment, if you don't mind me asking do you run your business from your house or from a unit and office?

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »
Hitman We cover from the Isles of Scilly to the Isle of wight, the furthest East we have work is in Bordon, not quite national, but I am working on it

daz1977

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:56:52 pm »
if ur serious about subbing, i would be happy to sub/rent of you dave

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »
Dave

have you got a subby contract

Please email

Bryan
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

paul rulton

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 08:00:22 pm »
Hitman We cover from the Isles of Scilly to the Isle of wight, the furthest East we have work is in Bordon, not quite national, but I am working on it
wow! :o  now thats how it should be done  ;)  ive now got green eyes  :-[

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:02:54 pm »
mb

I run from home, I sub out very successfully in certain parts, works quite well for us.

I reckon after employee costs etc we wouldnt be far off the mark in terms of profit.

Bryan

No subby contracts, just gentlemens agreements, maybe something to consider though,

Daz

I will keep that in mind

hitman

We have to travel far and wide, lots of competition and not enough work in the Southwest,

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »
Interesting.

It's only me plus one but i find the admin a pain. I have to sort water, recharge van and reel batteries, reconcile payments, print work off etc.

I know you have to do more.
FHowever, my latest pro tank install does seem to have stopped a lot of the constant fixing i used to have to do.Your vans look pretty neat and i would expect reliability to come from robust systems.

That's why people have IONICS .(I haven't got one i'm just saying).

I do tend to buy back up pumps and reels etc, so if something goes a quick switch can be affected.This is a waste of money, but these things have been used, and turned out to be purchases i would have had to make anyway.

From comments you have made in the past, your approach is either shrewd at keeping costs down or penny pinching.I find spending more works better.

As you know i have a m/trading background, and nothing winds me up more than people having seventy grand range rovers and mercs (i'm talking about a husband and wife i know) and the biz- a catering trailer is a fifteen year old dirty heap.

That doesn't really have that much relevance, but my point is that improvements can always be made and there are still probably things that can be learned off this forum to make our lives easier.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 08:09:00 pm »
Hi Slumpbuster, I have 2 crash tested systems on order, for fitting in a couple of weeks.

If you seen my costs you would have an heart attack.

My staff have bets to see who can give me an heart attack first.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 08:09:14 pm »
I cant advise on whether its good to sub out or employ Dave, as I have very little experience with employing and I have never subbed work out, sorry.

What I would say is get as much info as possible and weigh up the pro's and con's.
Also I would get the subbies on a formal agreement too.

Thats just my opinion Dave

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 08:15:43 pm »
Matt

we already do some subbing so nothing new there, employing is ok too.

I reckon you will be employing a lot sooner than you think

daz1977

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 08:23:09 pm »
why dont u sub out area, sort of franchising,  that way u still get paid for the contract and just cream the top of and then pay the franchers, even put them on 30 day accounts

i bought a tank of a bloke the other week, who said he use to sub out a job it was grand every 3 months for a weeks work and the bloke didnt want it any more as he had to wait 30 days to get paid

STEVE-UK

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 08:53:03 pm »
Why not take a back seat from wfp and sort out paper work out in the day along with doing quotes and checking quality of work?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 08:54:30 pm »
Steve

that is what i already do, have you seen the size of my belly ?

STEVE-UK

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:31 pm »
how many vans you got running?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 09:47:16 pm »
we got 3 running at the moment