Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ken

Modular Carbon poles
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:53:59 am »
I'm in the market for a 60'ish pole for occasional jobs where working up to that height is required. So, I went to Windex on Thursday to see what my choices are. Here are my thoughts, and I would welcome any comments (within reason!)

The telescopic poles seem too heavy and way too whippy when put up to 60'. Also a bit pricey.
Unger Carbontec: seems over-engineered, and in comparison with similar poles, a bit too heavy. And crazy money!
Brodex Carbonlight: Crazy light, not a bad price at £800, comes in a decent holdall, but uses velcro straps for hose securing.
Cleaning Technology Solutions: Super light, £750, clever little hose clips on each section, no storage bag (a tube supplied for top 6 sections).
Gardiners Super-Lite: Not at the show, very light, £665+vat, storage bag.

Where to put my money? If Brodex and CTS prices are ex-vat, which I guess they are, then the Gardiners pole walks it on price. I did like the hose clips on the CTS pole, and in use that sort of detail will make all the difference.

Thoughts?

stevieg

Re: Modular Carbon poles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:47:27 am »
I use an emporium (now defunct) Lovely and light but the top 6 sections all broke as they were not fit for purpose!! The clips you speak about sound a good idea but if they hold the hose too tightly then it will keep coming out if you assemble with not enough slack as the pole bends!(i made my own version of this)  Whatever you do,do not rely on any of the companies suggestions regarding stopping the poles sticking.put the poles together just enough to support each other and on the "male" part wrap a few turns of electrical tape.(this will stop the sections from compacting!When mine is finally unusable i will probably go for a gardiners.What impresses me with theirs is that you can assemble 40 foot and then lift from the floor which implies that the top sections are durable.(could not do this with mine)Have you seen the gardiners video of this?

stevieg

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 08:49:55 am »
ken,just realised that the company you mention is cleantech.They have taken over the emporium poles so unless they have improved the top sections "beware"

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:05:05 am »
i use an SL2 - found it to be great - it also uses the velcro straps - i usd to use these but ended up taking 20 mins to put everything together!! ::)

now i leave the hose loose and have found it works really well even over conny's - just have plenty of slack and then putting it together is quick.

i have noticed some slight 'chipping' to the carbon on the leading edges of some sections - probably me being slightly heavy handed when taking apart and putting it on the ground. :(

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:54:19 am »
I'm in the market for a 60'ish pole for occasional jobs where working up to that height is required. So, I went to Windex on Thursday to see what my choices are. Here are my thoughts, and I would welcome any comments (within reason!)

The telescopic poles seem too heavy and way too whippy when put up to 60'. Also a bit pricey.
Unger Carbontec: seems over-engineered, and in comparison with similar poles, a bit too heavy. And crazy money!
Brodex Carbonlight: Crazy light, not a bad price at £800, comes in a decent holdall, but uses velcro straps for hose securing.
Cleaning Technology Solutions: Super light, £750, clever little hose clips on each section, no storage bag (a tube supplied for top 6 sections).
Gardiners Super-Lite: Not at the show, very light, £665+vat, storage bag.

Where to put my money? If Brodex and CTS prices are ex-vat, which I guess they are, then the Gardiners pole walks it on price. I did like the hose clips on the CTS pole, and in use that sort of detail will make all the difference.

Thoughts?

Those prices ARE ex-vat. ;)

I had the same choice a few weeks ago, Needed 60ft for a particular job + other high work. I opted for Gardiners.

Not used it yet though as the job is not 'till end of march.

williamx

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:47:52 am »
You also have to look at the cost of replacements sections, I have broken 2 of the sl2 sections so far.

and the most important factor is the availability of the pole and spares if needed.

If you have to wait for a pole or section, you could end up losing the job to someone who is available to clean the windows straightaway.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:52:39 am »
You also have to look at the cost of replacements sections, I have broken 2 of the sl2 sections so far.

and the most important factor is the availability of the pole and spares if needed.

If you have to wait for a pole or section, you could end up losing the job to someone who is available to clean the windows straightaway.

Had the pole up in the garden Hydro, see what you mean about wind!!! :o :o :o ;D

Susan @ MB Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:56:54 am »
I would have liked to have seen Gardiner at Windex, Matt is interested in the CTS pole but I'd like to see the Gardiner pole first as I'm not convinced that the CTS pole is the right one to get.  I admit the CTS pole is amazingly light! but without seeing the Gardiner 56' pole, I wouldn't like to buy the CTS pole only to wonder if the Gardiner pole would have been better

It would have been good to have compared them side by side  :D

Ken

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:06:18 am »

Is that in heavy daily use, or occasional use, or...?

I would probably use it on 3 jobs a month at most (but they pay well enough to make it a worthwhile investment!) I am also quite "gentle" with kit, particularly kit that cost £800.

Realistically, I think it will be the Gardiner pole, although I see there is a 2 week wait for delivery at the moment so I'll have to get my order in sharpish as I'll need it the first week of May.

williamx

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 11:07:44 am »
I would have liked to have seen Gardiner at Windex, Matt is interested in the CTS pole but I'd like to see the Gardiner pole first as I'm not convinced that the CTS pole is the right one to get.  I admit the CTS pole is amazingly light! but without seeing the Gardiner 56' pole, I wouldn't like to buy the CTS pole only to wonder if the Gardiner pole would have been better

It would have been good to have compared them side by side  :D

They are the same

Ken

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 11:09:58 am »
Susan, you could always have a holiday business trip to St. Austell to check out the Gardiners pole!

Susan @ MB Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 11:15:06 am »
LOL sounds like an excellent idea, it wouldn't take much to persuade Matt to go down to St Austell! Might wait a few months for the temperature to go up!

williamx

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 11:15:52 am »

Is that in heavy daily use, or occasional use, or...?

I would probably use it on 3 jobs a month at most (but they pay well enough to make it a worthwhile investment!) I am also quite "gentle" with kit, particularly kit that cost £800.

Realistically, I think it will be the Gardiner pole, although I see there is a 2 week wait for delivery at the moment so I'll have to get my order in sharpish as I'll need it the first week of May.

The 1st one broke after I had used it about 4 times, it was the number 4 section and it snapped in half while I was cleaning some dorma windows at about 40' in height.

The second one was snapping a inch of the end on the 3rd section when I was assembling the poles together

Ken

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:21:50 am »
The 1st one broke after I had used it about 4 times, it was the number 4 section and it snapped in half while I was cleaning some dorma windows at about 40' in height.

The second one was snapping a inch of the end on the 3rd section when I was assembling the poles together

Hmmm...

Is that going to be the case whichever company you use. I imagine the poles all come from the same place, there can't be loads of companies churning them out? Do Gardiners have a warranty/replacement policy?

williamx

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 11:47:44 am »
I not saying its gardiners fault they broke, it happens, but you do need to look at the replacements costs when you are buying the pole in the first place.

stevieg

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »
I dont know why they dont just make all of the sections like the(in my case)the stronger no7 sections?

wightsurf

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 01:17:12 pm »
I have had the emporium pole 45ft , and it's still going strong.
I take care of it though and no rough handling.
The main reason i wish i had bought another pole was this company has gone bust, so no sections avalible but i know that some modular fishing pole sections fit it as i think Jeff was kind enough to point out.

The gardinas pole i think also uses velcro straps for the hose. don't think this would matter to me as i twist the pole as i add sections , so the hose goes round the pole.

The main issue with poles at hieght is wind. Anything over F4 and i use more engery fighting the wind than cleaning the windows. I think a pole a bit heavyer
May be of use to me. The winter is worst , on the sea front it .

stevieg

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »
Wightsurf.cleantech have taken over the emporium poles and i understand from previous posts that they are exactly the same spec,so are direct replacements.I dont bother with anything less than section no7 to get me back to 60 foot.( i have scourced these from other emporium ex users)

wightsurf

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 06:25:54 pm »
Thanks stevieg for that info.
I did wonder when i read they had taken over if it was the same spec.
Any idea of prices on no7 section ?

stevieg

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 09:33:31 am »
Hi I can only give a price for the no7 section as that was the only one i wanted and they are about £85 plus delivery!