This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

joe.b

chewing gum removal and pressure washing square meterage
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:50:42 am »
hi, i was just wondering what square meterage in a normal night shift you could expect to do when steaming chewing gum and presure washing the surface after?

thanks

Andy Foster

Re: chewing gum removal and pressure washing square meterage
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:52:40 pm »
2 people - 100 square metres an hour
Not sure how long a 'shift' is s thought an hourly amount would be better.

Andy

BDCS

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »
How can you quote a meterage when the degree of soiling is unknown ? It would be better to know the estimated time to remove each piece of gum then you can work out the average number of pieces per metre and then the time for the area to be cleaned.

Andy Foster

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:44:39 pm »
I can quote that area/hour because that is a worst case scenario.

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:14:34 am »
 OK, what kit would that be using ?

Andy Foster

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »
Pressure washer set to approximately 1500psi pushing water through a hotbox set to 120 degrees.
Steel fsc followed up by adjustable lance picking off chewy, doing edges and washing down.

BDCS

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:29:41 pm »
I assumed the original post was talking about a steamer being a high temp low pressure machine not a hot pressure washer

Andy Foster

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »
Ah!

I don't use one of them so not sure how to judge metreage.  If that is what you meant, then sorry for the confusion.

Andy

BDCS

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »
I have both now but I was interested how much you can achieve. It takes about 13 seconds to remove each piece with a steamer but you get slower as you get bored. Never had much luck with the gum work but I price it with dread that I will have to do it

Andy Foster

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:06:06 pm »
I can only see the advantage of the low moisture method if you can't cordon off the area.  If there is any way at all to keep the public away then it has to be a hot box and pressure washer every time... also, if you have to clean the area as well then you may as well do the gum at the same time.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 10:14:45 pm »
Ive got a store front to do in Wimbledon Sunday evening and am fortunate to have all options.

We will be using a full chewing gum removal set up and will then pressure wash the slabwork.

I cleaned 600sqm in November of last year and then pressure washed it the same day - approx 10 hours on medium density soiling.

I am a bit of a dog with a bone and I just will not stop until it is finished. I like chewing gum removal and pressure washing afterwards as it is physically very challenging and I always get a real buzz when done.

My chewing gum removal is generally on live environments, with heavy footfall, so we tend to do the chewing gum throughout the day because it is the safest option and then go back to finish pressure washing as the store quietens or closes.

I also cleaned 600sqm of heavily soiled wood walkway in Bath in March of last year. Regularly chewing gum is removed and we take it for granted to just get on with it, whether it is in the spec or not.

Rob ;D