Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Weatherley

How to use MS effectively?
« on: June 25, 2005, 10:17:54 pm »
I have been using Micro splitters for around six months now. However I have not been totally converted to ms yet if I get very heavily soiled / greasy carpets I sometimes revert back to using detergent pre sprays. My methods are as follows......

1. Pre vac room
2. 'Mist' carpet with ms diluted at around 1:10 using pump up sprayer
3. Agitate with Sebo Duo
4. Extract with water only using wand, Rotovac or powerbrush

My concerns are as follows

1. Should I apply ms more heavily than just a 'mist'.
2. How many passes over the ms with the SEBO DUO before I can be confident that the MS has been agitated enough ( usually I give it about 2 passes, sometimes more for heavily soiled).

Your thoughts would be appreciated

lee_gundry

Re: How to use MS effectively?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 10:25:24 pm »
steve

i have been in business for 12 yrs,been using micro splitters for 7 yrs. A micro splitter is NOT  a miricle product,i only use micro splitters on certain upholstery fabrics not on carpets, as i can achive better results using other pre sprays.

My method of attack for your problem carpet would be

pre spray hot
hydramaster fast break
hydramaster grease breaker

Agitate with duo
let dwell 10 mins
rinse with hydramaster hydradri or prochem fiber & fabric rinse.

Lee G
cumbria

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 09:04:06 pm »
I can't believe it. So many of you out there swear by using microsplitters yet none of you have answered how best to use them. In particular how heavily to apply it to carpets.
Come on guys!

stevegunn

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 09:26:02 pm »
The key to using m/s is agitation personally the duo is not good enough for this job you need a host or envirodri machine.It can take longer to agitate than it does to extract.

Derek_Walker

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 11:56:48 pm »
Hi Steve,

If you are misting the the whole room with m/s it may be that it is drying too quickly before you have had a chance to aggitate the carpet properly. If this is the case try and do smaller area's in between aggitating the pile.
The Sebo Duo is a fairly lightweight machine which may not be ideal for heavily soiled, greasy carpets. The envirodri or host machine would be better as already suggested by Steve Gunn.

Next time you have a heavily soiled carpet, try using a carpet brush for aggitating the pile to see if it makes any difference in the outcome.

Good luck.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 11:31:55 am »
Hi Steve

The amount you pre spray would be dependant on soiling, better agitation is a key I would suggest an evirodri/host machine with soft brushes as this produces more indepth agitation, I have personally cleaned very heavily soiled carpets and not had the need to revert to standard chemicals. ( but then I would say wouldn't I)

Severe soil may require vac pre-spray, rinse then an additional spray, and rinse.

Hope this helps
Best regards Nick

H Janus

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 12:10:45 pm »
Hi,

Would I be able to aggitate the pre-spray using a rotary machine with either a bonnet or brush? I dont have any of the above mentioned machines but would lik to try using micro splitters.

Hugh

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 06:55:19 pm »
Hi Hugh (interesting name)

A rotary would do the same job as a Sebo/ Host or envirodri but much bigger and heavier to cart around in your van.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I knew you would come up trumps (in the end!).

therapist

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 07:54:01 pm »
Hi folks

When I started using m/s, the suggested machine for agitating, was the Klanz, which is considerably heavier than the Sebo. 

The Klanz has twin rotary brushes / contrarotating and floating, there is a soft brush option, for light to medium soiling and a, firm option, for heavier soiling. There is simply, no comparison, between the Sebo and the Klanz.

On very heavy soiling, such as, commercial kitchen , 'walk in areas' I prespray at 20/1, leave for 10 mins, then, lightly spray water from HWE wand, there being no chemical in the tank when using m/s.

This is followed by agitating and extracting and nearly always works perfectly well.

While cleaning an Indian resturant, recently, the soiling was ' SOLID 'at the kitchen exit and proving stubborn. The owner appeared with a hand spray and sprayed directly onto the area, which immediately broke up and extracted with ease.

He said it was a Kleenol or Cleenol product .

Anyone any the wiser ?

rob m

John_Flynn

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 10:49:59 pm »
I used a Sebo Duo found it too light and no use, now have got back to long handled carpet brush with 29 stone pushing it, Fantastic Results.
I get better looking each day!!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 10:59:34 pm »
John ,

Are you serious.

I have not bought a Sebo Duo as I thought same, and wanted somthing more substantional.

I thought you had somthing like a Rotovac

John_Flynn

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 08:36:19 am »
Ian

Very serious, I use carpet Brush then extract with a Rotavac!!

At 60c and 450psi.

John
I get better looking each day!!

mark_roberts

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 04:26:29 pm »
I agree that for commercial the duo does not cut it.  I have one and a host machine the latter being the better all the time although heavier.

Sometimes you need to ask the question how can I clean this carpet, taking into consideration its condition and even neglect, to a condition which pleases the customer but is also easy and cost effective for me and also safe for the carpet.  On many occasions microsplitters is not the answer.

Dont forget many of the people promoting microsplitters on these boards are involved one way or the other in companies that sell them.  Thats not to say their not a good product as they are and I use them daily BUT they are not always the solution.

If theres one thing Ive learned the hard way over the last 5 years its to listen to others but make your own mind up by real life experience.

Mark