Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

How much, as a %, does window cleaning bring in to your household income? Please read the comment before voting.

0-10%
7%
4 (7%)
10-20%
3.5%
2 (3.5%)
20-30%
3.5%
2 (3.5%)
30-40%

0 (0%)
40-50%
5.3%
3 (5.3%)
50-60%
7%
4 (7%)
60-70%
21.1%
12 (21.1%)
70-80%
12.3%
7 (12.3%)
80-90%
7%
4 (7%)
90-100%
33.3%
19 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Household income
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:05:38 pm »
Having seen many differing threads about how much people earn, or how few days people can manage to work or what they choose to spend money on I wondered what the % of household income was purely through window cleaning.

How much as a % do people rely on partners wages or the state system to make up the family income.

There is no benefit to exaggerating or lying about this and as it is a poll no-one is singled out so please answer honestly.

Your income will obviously be after expenses and tax (not turnover) and other income will include partners/wife/husband/other working adults and any state benefits.

You may need to go away and calculate so don't vote in haste please.

dai

Re: Household income
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:17:46 pm »
Sunshine, Surely this is a private matter, why would anyone want to divulge this information on an open forum, and to what purpose other than satisfy someones curiosity?
Sorry mate, but I don't think you will get a lot of response form this one.
This information is between you and the taxman, no one else needs to know.

daz1977

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »
i agree with dai,  i had a poll on how many custy people had to try and work out was we all big companys or small,  and all any one was interested in was how much people made, but to be honest i think every one would lie any way

clean

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:53:32 pm »
Yeah Sunshine don`t be nosey  >:(

tompoole

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »
20, the rest is what I can managed to get from armed robbery! its alot les labour intensive

ccmids

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 04:05:27 pm »
like i said before you dont know who is reading this lot on here ,so i will not coment on anything to do with my income.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:07:56 pm »
100% of my income comes from window cleaning and has for 16 years! ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

ccmids

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 04:11:44 pm »
i could be the tax man reading this. i always though us window cleaners were like the A team  not letting  to much info.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 04:12:07 pm »
whats wrong with all you guys?paranoid or what?what some of you mean then is your claiming and earning a bit of beer money/pin money on the side as well as selling dodgy second hand cars and taxi driving? ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

ccmids

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »
 you done it now you,ve said too much ,  :o :o :o :o :o

daz1977

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 04:21:11 pm »
i thought dole didnt count as an income as you dont pay tax in it

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 04:53:21 pm »
Wow, first few comments are a bit paranoid!! Why do you think I put it as a poll and NOT ask for comments. I am just interested in the % of income, not the figures, simply put. How many and to what degree widow cleaning can 'fully' provide for the needs of a family.

I haven't asked anyone to divulge any personal information and I doubt the tax man, the moderators or even Jack Bauer could work out who had participated in the poll let alone work out any personal information from it.

Get a grip lads, its a simple non intrusive question, if you have a problem with it dont post or vote.
 :-* :-*

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »
100% of my income comes from window cleaning and has for 16 years! ;D ;D

Pretty much the same for me too.  I've had some years where I've done a bit of office/car showroom cleaning out of hours and I even worked at a courier company early mornings at one point but most years simnce 1991, it's been 100% window cleaning.

ccmids

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 05:03:48 pm »
sunshine why do you need to know these things   ??? ???

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 05:19:07 pm »
sunshine why do you need to know these things   ??? ???

I dont NEED to know. I guess I will still function as a human either way. I was reflecting earlier today that society has changed alot over the past 20 years or so since I started window cleaning. Back then I knew several window cleaners who were the sole earners in the family, in fact most of my customers back then seemed to have one earner. ie, the wife was home. Now it seems the norm for both to work, or at least to expect their income to be made up by the government.

My curiosity is whether or not window cleaning and/or window cleaners are in the same situation. Some say they choose it to allow time for family or charity work. Others often brag about the amount that can be earned. Either way, out of say 50 of us how many are able to provide for our families fully by window cleaning and how many rely on state or partners to add to the family treasury.

Please don't put down personal info, all I expected was a figure from a vote for no other purpose than my curiosity. I dont expect a breakdown of individuals situations.

I hope this answers your question.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:21 pm »
Not really sure because I have a daughter at college and another at school so we still get child benefit for them. My eldest lives with us and is p/t self employed hairdressing doing "pioneering" (jw ministry) and costs us more than the modest "keep" we charge her to be honest.

My wife does p/t sign language for special needs kiddies as a teaching assistant for two days a week and so I would hazard an educated guess at 80% of the household income comes from my window cleaning and 20% from her. But I haven't included child benefit. And she does my books and has helped me clean on a couple of schools which I do in the school holidays when she is off so proportionately you need to reduce my income and increase hers.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
Not really sure because I have a daughter at college and another at school so we still get child benefit for them. My eldest lives with us and is p/t self employed hairdressing doing "pioneering" (jw ministry) and costs us more than the modest "keep" we charge her to be honest.

My wife does p/t sign language for special needs kiddies as a teaching assistant for two days a week and so I would hazard an educated guess at 80% of the household income comes from my window cleaning and 20% from her. But I haven't included child benefit. And she does my books and has helped me clean on a couple of schools which I do in the school holidays when she is off so proportionately you need to reduce my income and increase hers.

Far too much info.  ::)
I'm hoping to supplement my eldest's lifestyle in much the same way, although I doubt he will be a hairdresser!

I guess most of us have some sort of additional income. It must be endemic of the times we live in. Everyone seems to be busier with less money and even less time.

I was reading Thoreau's 'Walden' the other day and one comment fascinated me. He is asked why he does not work even if it were for a bit of money to travel to the next town. His reply is that in the time it takes the man to earn the fare he could have walked distance and benefited from the beauty around him.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 06:58:02 pm »
Seeing a different philosophical side to you sunshine- thoreau- I can't read that stuff for the very reasons you give.I once loved dickens etc but they are too long winded, and as you mention hardy often starts by describing a good walk over about fifteen pages.If any of them sent that drivel to a publisher now it would be straight in the dustbin,

Reading this garbage has made you melancoly.The rise in our industries viability is in no small part due to the 'dual income syndrone'.This is a change in wider society and wc's are part of that.

I have a friend who's a wholesaler with a ten million turnover,He's never wanted his kids to learn the business. His daughter just got married she's twenty two and works at spec savers for 35k, hubbys a young(25) dentist on 40k.So the joint household income in their first ever jobs is 75k. She asked her dad "Is that a lot of money dad?"
That was his explanation to me of why he didn't want his children to have  to hump boxes and go out in the cold etc like he has too.

WCing is a bolt on for me and probably provides 40% of income.

dave.e

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 07:03:49 pm »
NO COMMENT ON THIS POST ;)

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 08:26:41 pm »
NO COMMENT ON THIS POST ;)

That is a comment!

Anything you want to add about Thoreau?

I will say it wasn't even a moderate seller in the 1850's when he wrote it. Plus travel is now a lot cheaper in comparison to a days work. That said I still like the ideal behind the comment.