Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Wallace

SNOW!! It was the best thing for my business in years!
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:05:27 am »
As I sat at home in early January looking out of the window at the snow and ice I made some firm decisions.
I was not going to let a bad start to the year affect me. Instead I would use it to my advantage.
I don’t do resolutions but instead I try to form new habits, so I worked out what small adjustment I needed to make to increase my turnover, and set about doing them.
I now get up 30 mins earlier every day,  leave the house to go working 30 mins earlier and work 30 mins longer (Where possible). I have made various changes to both my day and the lads who work for me, (yes, they are happy with theirs)
I have been doing this now for about 3 weeks and it now feels totally normal, (a habit) usually a habit takes about 30 days to form.
The result.... the most productive January ever.
It helped that I just bought out a round from a guy who packed in but the point is still the same, before, we were working to schedule and did not expect to cover the new work in our normal 4 weekly round, but by changing how we work we are doing it easily.
The snow really made me sit and look at how I did things; it has helped me beyond belief.

ccmids

Re: SNOW!! It was the best thing for my business in years!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:10:58 am »
in the spring i will be starting early at least an hour each day

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:20:36 am »
I do the same but I set myself a target figure and keep increasing it bit by bit.

The cold weather helped me because it gave me time to get my internet business started and that is now ticking away, albeit slowly.

Jack Wallace

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:31:58 am »
I do the same but I set myself a target figure and keep increasing it bit by bit.

The cold weather helped me because it gave me time to get my internet business started and that is now ticking away, albeit slowly.
May i ask what your internet business is Vince? anything exciting?

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:19:50 am »
Nothing too exciting but a steady little earner on a small scale which should grow into a reasonable income. Its just basically selling stuff on ebay. The secret I have found after lots and lots of research is to buy the right stuff at the right price in the first place so I can sell it on.

Its a hedge for me against the risk in the future of a bad back or a trapped nerve that would stop me working. I know others that it has happened to. Theres also stuff like hosepipe bans and falls to take into account and as I get older the appeal of sitting on my backside on a computer rather than scrabbling about in people's icy gardens increases year by year.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:43 am »
I intend to start earlier too.  Can't always do that at the moment as it's sometimes below freezing till mid/late morning but I will do this soon.  This will allow me to finish a bit earlier and do a bit of canvassing at the latter end of the day.
I just did a check on my figures and I'm actually about £50 up on my Jan 31 of last year (this is October 1 to Jan 31).  Not much I know but considering all the time off I've needed for freeze up I reckon it's OK.

G Griffin

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:30:12 am »
Jack, you must take the credit. The snow just gave you the chance to think but you made the decisions.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Jack Wallace

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:35:23 am »
Nothing too exciting but a steady little earner on a small scale which should grow into a reasonable income. Its just basically selling stuff on ebay. The secret I have found after lots and lots of research is to buy the right stuff at the right price in the first place so I can sell it on.

Its a hedge for me against the risk in the future of a bad back or a trapped nerve that would stop me working. I know others that it has happened to. Theres also stuff like hosepipe bans and falls to take into account and as I get older the appeal of sitting on my backside on a computer rather than scrabbling about in people's icy gardens increases year by year.
  Good idea Vince. Eggs and baskets.

Window Washers

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:26 am »

So hes selling eggs and baskets, thats very clever not many would think of that  ;D
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Jack Wallace

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:19 am »

So hes selling eggs and baskets, thats very clever not many would think of that  ;D
ha ha I should have known better!

Window Washers

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 11:01:22 am »

Forgot to say well done Jack for changing things, they say every cloud has a silver lining  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Jack Wallace

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 11:44:52 am »

Fortot to say well done Jack for changing things, they say every cloud has a silver lining  ;)
Thank you.  I have just been through 4 of the worst years of my life where it seemed everything was against me, But 2010 is going to be a good year for me. I will make sure of it.

gewindows

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 11:50:02 am »
Good thread Jack, thanks for that.

rg1

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 02:08:30 pm »

Eggs in baskets is agood idea with Easter just around the corner ;D ;D
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

JSMC

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 02:58:07 pm »
so where yer ebay shop? link us as ye never know we may all on here throw business yer way

dave.e

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 05:36:47 pm »
my new yeas resolution was to stop in bed an extra 30 min. ;D ;D ;D ;D

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 06:38:59 pm »
nice one dave my views aswell  just bought some ones round for 3k hes ad enough nice chap though hope hes sorted just need a lighter pole and a tank any advice on a cheap tank 250 ltr

dave.e

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 07:00:01 pm »
nice one dave my views aswell  just bought some ones round for 3k hes ad enough nice chap though hope hes sorted just need a lighter pole and a tank any advice on a cheap tank 250 ltr

Hi Alan i don,t know anyone that is selling a 250 but i will keep my ears open how local are you to brierley hill west midlands mate.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 07:08:18 pm »
wolverhampton mate

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »
give us a ring if you hear of anything mate 07768311378