This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ringo1968

Starting a round with the present economy ?
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:17:01 am »
 I thought of starting a round last year but due to the recession i wondered if people would save on a window cleaner and do it themselves. I canvassed for a couple of weeks but did not catch one customer. The most common reply was "We don't need a window cleaner" or occasionally "We tend to do it ourselves". It is tough to find an area where people may consider a window cleaner !! I have transport and possibly have to consider travelling to villages ?

R W C™

Re: Starting a round with the present economy ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:21:08 am »
what area you in ringo,

Just keep going mate and theyll start rolling in.

Chris

ringo1968

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:31:22 am »
what area you in ringo,

Chris

I am in the North hertfordshire area. I was told canvassing rather than leaflets is the best way to go. I aim to do a thorough job including sills and frames- perhaps there is a load of competition out there !!

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:15:22 am »
I started last April Ringo and have built up a good round.

Keep at it and the results will come
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

wezzy32

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 01:35:38 pm »
i started in oct 09 and i did buy a small round to help but im up to 116 custy and 40 off them get dun every 2 weeks.it is hard dont get me rong but its wel worth the effort im doing a  flyer delivery in feb (well my stepson will b)over 2000.then a few days later i will go round canvassing the area.
keep on smiling

jonnyald

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 03:56:35 pm »
you should be allrite, as hertfordshire got plenty of houses, just go out knocking and by the law of odds you should strike lucky

i visited my sister at the very top of scotland last summer ,now that must be very hard to start up there,just very few houses  and the south of englands far far easier

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 04:08:31 pm »
It's not as easy as it was but now (as in just before spring) is the time to canvass and get started up. Go whenever but especially when the sun is low in the sky and showing up all the imperfections! Villages are a good plan but try to stay within 5 miles of home.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:27:23 pm »
I thought of starting a round last year but due to the recession i wondered if people would save on a window cleaner and do it themselves. I canvassed for a couple of weeks but did not catch one customer. The most common reply was "We don't need a window cleaner" or occasionally "We tend to do it ourselves". It is tough to find an area where people may consider a window cleaner !! I have transport and possibly have to consider travelling to villages ?

Stick with it.  After a while, when you have got a number of customers, it becomes self propogating.  The work drifts in without having to look too hard for it.  It can take a while to get to that point though.  Also, some of the people who are saying no now will probably get you to clean theirs eventually.  Once you become a more familiar sight, people start trusting a bit more.

simon knight

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:43:57 pm »

Stick with it.  After a while, when you have got a number of customers, it becomes self propogating.  The work drifts in without having to look too hard for it.  It can take a while to get to that point though.  Also, some of the people who are saying no now will probably get you to clean theirs eventually.  Once you become a more familiar sight, people start trusting a bit more.

Spot on!

Also a thing I did when I first started was to have ladders etc with me when canvassing so I could do them there and then...canvassing and earning at the same time. Get some cards printed with name, address, mobile and landline numbers.

Good luck mate.

SteveAllan

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 06:03:29 pm »
Keep going ringo, dont let the no's put you off. same happened to me when canvassing and i must admit 4 hours knocking doors with sod all gets ya down but keep plugging away. Villages can be good earners just go for it.

suds window service

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »
Keep going ringo, dont let the no's put you off. same happened to me when canvassing and i must admit 4 hours knocking doors with sod all gets ya down but keep plugging away. Villages can be good earners just go for it.
steve hello how are you getting on now?
did you go trad or wfp? how many customers you got now? are you full time yet?
                  all the best dave.

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:54:21 pm »
Ringo,  try to keep positive there will be hundreds of custy's out there for you, you just have to find them!

when you go out - look smart, be polite and if poss have a flyer with address and HOme phone number - mobile makes you look iffy - people like to know you are genuine ( print your own flyer from your PC )

When canvassing dont pre judge the road area -  my very 1st day i didn't pick up anyone in the first 5 roads - all had w/c or no thanks,  turned the corner and bang nearly every house wanted one - and it looked pretty much the same as the previous road.

smart or dirty every house is a potential new custy.

good luck

Darran  ;D
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

SteveAllan

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 11:01:40 pm »
yeah good Dave, almost a 100 custys now mate, do it alongside the oven cleaning so all good. Iam still using that trolley i got from your mate but a large part of me round is done trad with the old wagtail. How are you, still adding custys ok

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 05:15:34 am »
Here's an idea for canvassing.

Carry a clipboard with your name and other details on the reverse side - the side the customer sees when you're holding it.

The customer knows who and what you are immediately - and it gives just a hint of professionalism.

On the business side of the clipboard you've got a page of all the addresses in the street and put a yes/no/later alongside each one you've done.

You can also have some cards or leaflets under the clip so you can give one out without having to fumble in your pocket or in a bag.

SteveAllan

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 11:10:22 am »
Nice tip Wally :)

Window Washers

Re: Starting a round with the present economy ? New
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 11:35:45 am »
what area you in ringo,

Chris

I am in the North hertfordshire area. I was told canvassing rather than leaflets is the best way to go. I aim to do a thorough job including sills and frames- perhaps there is a load of competition out there !!
who every told you this is onyl giving you half the story.

Leaflets work slowly but work, every house you walk and canvass and they are not in is a leaflet and possible customer lost  ;)

It is a little harder at this time of year to get customer
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)