This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stevehinnis

water spots on glass
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:56:26 am »
Hi everyone.Im  just starting up.Ive  just produced  my first 200 litres of pure water, managed to get it in my shed with  all my gear, good job cause it froze last night.Anyway I cleaned my own windows and frames yesterday, but when they dried there was a few water spots on the glass.My water reading is 00.Any advice as I need to get some custys  quickly and do a good job.
Steve.

Londoner

Re: water spots on glass
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:03:04 am »
1) rub the frames with your finger, does any white come off?

2) If your water is 000 it can't come from there so it has to be coming off the frames. You can do a bit of detective work yourself ie row of white spots going down = drip.

Mike #1

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:03:25 am »
the usual been cleaned with soap and water before its in the seals you need to give windys a really good rinse that should do it

ccmids

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:36:37 am »
yes you got to rinse , wash the lot down it will be better next time.

stevehinnis

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »
Its running down in lines so it must be soap on frames.
Its nerve racking trying to do a good job when your just starting out.
Thanks for all your replies
Steve,    Shetting it knocking doors.

ccmids

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 03:27:54 pm »
you will get the hang of it mate , just start at the top   work across the window and then swill it all well ,i dont do the frames if i can help it but it is a good selling point if you say you do. you do not have to do them all the time anyway.
good luck with the dor knocking , ive never done that , will have ago this spring.

stevehinnis

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 04:14:45 pm »
Good luck ccmids.

ccmids

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:18:12 pm »
whats your sales pich what do you say, "wacha luv need ya windys doin" ;D ;D

Londoner

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:26:05 am »
That works! don't knock it. I sometimes think the rough and ready approach works best because after all you are "only" a window cleaner and that is what people expect.

Some of the posters on here over the years going on about "killer" marketing techniques etc to me are missing the point.

stevehinnis

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 11:07:31 am »

I knock the door, stand back and say.
My name is Steve Hinnis,do you require a  window cleaner.Ive just done a free quote for one of your neighbour, if I had.
If they say no, I leave them a card and quickly explain the benefits of pure water window cleaning.I always look out for really dirty frames.
Steve

geefree

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 11:16:34 am »
I regular clean my own windows and conservatory with pure water at oo, and there are always spots, ...

same with customers houses.... none of them are ever perfect, if i pass and stop to collect money, i can see a few spots on close inspection...and i wash all the windows really well.

I just dont think the finish on the glass will ever be better than doing them trad,but the overall results ...frames and doors etc,, and from a distance, does make it appear to look better...

and its quicker and makes us more money!,

but trad is far better for the glass clean.

david68

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 11:21:45 am »
Yep if i am honest i agree with gazzasp.
If the speed was the same i would return back to trad
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

jonnyald

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 11:35:36 am »
That works! don't knock it. I sometimes think the rough and ready approach works best because after all you are "only" a window cleaner and that is what people expect.

Some of the posters on here over the years going on about "killer" marketing techniques etc to me are missing the point.
i agree with that .

stevehinnis

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 11:36:55 am »
I filled a spraying bottle up with pure water and sprayed the spots on my windows,when it dried the spots disappeared
Steve.

ccmids

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 11:43:49 am »
i know ,its good stuff ;D

jonnyald

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 11:45:59 am »
i wouldnt fret bout tecnique too much or how YOU  think it looks . when i started (2 years ago)  i was using a really creppy squeegee id bought in BandQ , PLUS  a few tatty old bath towels . thinking back,the results must have been Terrible .

main thing is , your effort will be far far better than what the homeowner can do, and they dont/cant want todo it anyhow

stevehinnis

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:04 am »
Good point

dai

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 01:02:29 pm »
I have found that people either don't see, or don't care about spots. They would complain about a squeegee kick however.
There's nothing like a spot of rain for clearing spots.

wizard

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 02:43:39 pm »
Is your tank clean.

Martin ccs

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »
when i used to work for a window cleaning company, before i went out on my own.

my old boss told customer that the spots are there to help absorb the rain and would wash away when the rain had stopped.

i cant see me using that one