This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ken

Van options - thoughts appreciated.
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:06:21 pm »
It looks like it could soon be time to spend some money on a vehicle. I have a few options and I would be interested in your opinions/experiences.

My current van is an S reg Berlingo. It's not particularly high mileage (130k) but it needs a full service (belts, filters, fluids, glow plugs or whatever they have), some electrical work and a new power steering rack. This will have to be done at a garage as I have no off-road parking or necessary skills. I can see this easily being £5-600 worth of work. The van probably is worth £500 (it has 9 month's MoT and 4 month's tax but is looking a bit tatty these days). Is it worth spending the money on the work?

Option Two: New van, contract hire. VW Caddy/Ford Connect size. Approx £600+vat deposit, £200+vat per month for 35 months. Pluses: A shiny new van, no MoTs to worry about, very little maintenance and it could be included(?), better mpg. Minuses: it's a fair chunk of cash every month, it's not mine at the end of three years, will window cleaning wear and tear mean a "hidden" payment at the end of the contract? Is it the best bet for a one man band that's not vat registered?

Option Three: 3-4 year old van. Local VW Commercial centre has a 54 plated Caddy with 104 bhp motor, in gunmetal grey, with 54k on the clock for £7k+vat. He pretty much told me he would take an offer on it and would take my old Berlingo in as p/x, without me saying a word! Made a bit suspicious but still! It comes serviced, mot-ed, and with a 12 month VW Used Vehicle warranty. Pluses: nearly new for a lot less than new, still shiny, nice spec, good mpg and limited maintenance costs. Minuses: MoT costs, how long would the loan payments be..?

Option Three: Buy an older van, £1000 mark. Pluses: Cheap, won't mind if it gets knocked and dented at work. Minuses: Maintenance time-bomb? MoT costs, not so good on fuel, not so professional looking, probably high to very high mileage.

Option four: You tell me!

I hate buying second-hand cars. If it all goes belly-up, you don't have a lot of comeback, you can be out of pocket and can't work. My mind says a new/er van would be a good call but I welcome your opinions or experiences. If it helps, I am largely wfp, although I use a backpack and jerry cans and don't have a fixed tank system. I wouldn't think that is going to change as the portable option suits the type of work that I do. I probably never carry more than 150 litres of water, and occasionally have a workmate in the van so all up a payload of 600-750kg is fine. Most of my work is local so I do less than 10k miles per year.

East coast window cleaning Services

Re: Van options - thoughts appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:01:36 pm »
no to option 2 as wear and tear issues option 3 would be best but that caddy seems a bit top heavy on the price.
P&R Window Cleaning

Mike_G

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:05:29 pm »
I like option 3 but that caddy is way overpriced. Forget option 3 as you could easily end up with a van worse than the one you already own!

R W C™

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:08:42 pm »
7k+vat for a 54 plate, you could get a 55 plate vivaro or similar for about 5k

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:16:44 pm »
7k+vat for a 54 plate, you could get a 55 plate vivaro or similar for about 5k

Gearbox issues are potentially bad with Vivaro, Trafic, Primastar.  Apparently rectified on 55 plate.  To be safe, maybe better to get 06 onwards if getting such a van.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:24:50 pm »
If the Berlingo is reliable and it does what you want I'd repair it and use it for another year.

You only pay £600 on repairs compared with a a couple of grand per annum on depreciation/lease costs. However if it's unreliable then every day off work is a (give or take) couplahundred isn't it.

It's a game of three halves!

jasonl

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:32:45 pm »
I would save up and spend 4-5k at an auction and save 30% on retail price of whatever you decide to buy
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

cleewindows

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:38:44 pm »
measham van auctions you will save a fortune

groundhog

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 09:03:14 pm »
The gearbox went on my dispatch at the weekend, it would cost at least a grand to have a new one fitted, I doubt the van is even worth that amount!  :(   So I am also debating what to do, my friend who is a builder leases a van and says that he would do it again. I am considering that option, I'm also thinking about getting a trailer and using my car to tow it, or maybe I should get a new gearbox fitted  ???

Spruce

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Ken

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:17 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts. I see I gave two "Option Three"s, duh!

I would hasten to add that I certainly wouldn't pay the asking price for the Caddy, I just mentioned it as an example. It does look nice though! Any experiences with the Caddy or Transit Connect, or any other suggestions for that size of van?