This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Londoner

Another good reason to be a WC
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:06 am »
All day long on the radio they keep running adverts about the dangers of Asbestos. They are on LBC down here, I don't know if you get them where you are. Part of the advert says more people die each year from the effects of asbestos than are killed in road accidents including about half a dozen carpenters, half a dozen plumbers, half a dozen electricians etc A WEEK!

Sort of puts it into perspective. The only dangers we face (unless you are trad) is a bit of dog poo or being talked to death by the lady at no 42. No hold that, forgot about toxic coffee poisioning.

Ian_Giles

Re: Another good reason to be a WC
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:31:23 am »
And don't forget the chemical burns to our exposed skin thanks to the 'carbonic acid' we wash the windows with! :-[

Oh, and all those window cleaners fried every year when there carbon poles touch overhead cables....

Actually, the asbestos thing always worries me a little, when I was working for my family's building company back in the 70's, on some sites, working around asbestos was common, and the dangers were not known at the time.
It can take 30 years before asbestosis bites you in the backside, and some of the guys I worked with have either died from it or have it..all older than myself I might add...but still, gives me pause for thought when I see those ads... :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:33:06 am »
All day long on the radio they keep running adverts about the dangers of Asbestos. They are on LBC down here, I don't know if you get them where you are. Part of the advert says more people die each year from the effects of asbestos than are killed in road accidents including about half a dozen carpenters, half a dozen plumbers, half a dozen electricians etc A WEEK!

Sort of puts it into perspective. The only dangers we face (unless you are trad) is a bit of dog poo or being talked to death by the lady at no 42. No hold that, forgot about toxic coffee poisioning.

Many a cup has been tipped away when they aren't looking.  Some make a lovely cuppa but I think some of them just use a shovel to stir it.

Jack Wallace

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:48:26 am »
I had 10 years in the asbestos removal industry before becoming a window cleaner, by trade I am a thermal insulation engineer so seen more than my fair share of the stuff.

After every clearance we needed to have the area checked by techs who issued a certificate before we could "strike" the job and hand over, for a laugh one day we all had our vans tested. mine failed miserably, I was spending upto 5 hours a day in it.
happy days.   ???

Window Washers

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:57:34 am »
I had 10 years in the asbestos removal industry before becoming a window cleaner, by trade I am a thermal insulation engineer so seen more than my fair share of the stuff.

After every clearance we needed to have the area checked by techs who issued a certificate before we could "strike" the job and hand over, for a laugh one day we all had our vans tested. mine failed miserably, I was spending upto 5 hours a day in it. happy days.   ???

Jack your clearly a sick man if you think that's funny  :o
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

R W C™

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:07:16 am »

After every clearance we needed to have the area checked by techs who issued a certificate before we could "strike" the job and hand over, for a laugh one day we all had our vans tested. mine failed miserably, I was spending upto 5 hours a day in it. happy days.   ???

Think your reading it wrong Ian

Window Washers

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:39 am »

Think your reading it wrong Ian
Was meant in a jokey way Chris, thats the problem with the written word
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Jack Wallace

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:13:13 am »

No not sick, but what’s the point worrying about it. What is done is done.
 When we tested the vans we were all joking about it, but no one expected the results we got. we tested the vans thinking we may be on the limits due to the fact we had to carry all the equipment which was used in the removal process plus my BA (breathing apparatus) was with me at all times as people had a habit of sabotaging it. Nothing dangerous but silly stuff, nothing worse than  spending 20 minutes going through a decontamination chamber getting ready to work then find as you enter the “area” your BA has an Airwick pine fresh  air freshener in it ha ha . (and that was one of the nicer things)
10 years in that industry was enough for anyone. The conditions were unbelievably tough ranging from freezing cold to roasting hot. The worst was 163F in a hospital boiler house. With nil visibility due to the amount of asbestos in the air.
I am ex Army, Falklands was my time. Forces humour is pretty sick at times but its how some deal with unbearable situations.

Window Washers

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:16:45 am »

No not sick, but what’s the point worrying about it. What is done is done.
 When we tested the vans we were all joking about it, but no one expected the results we got. we tested the vans thinking we may be on the limits due to the fact we had to carry all the equipment which was used in the removal process plus my BA (breathing apparatus) was with me at all times as people had a habit of sabotaging it. Nothing dangerous but silly stuff, nothing worse than  spending 20 minutes going through a decontamination chamber getting ready to work then find as you enter the “area” your BA has an Airwick pine fresh  air freshener in it ha ha . (and that was one of the nicer things)
10 years in that industry was enough for anyone. The conditions were unbelievably tough ranging from freezing cold to roasting hot. The worst was 163F in a hospital boiler house. With nil visibility due to the amount of asbestos in the air.
I am ex Army, Falklands was my time. Forces humour is pretty sick at times but its how some deal with unbearable situations.

Please read my comment above Jack, I also meant my comment in a jokey way.

R W C™

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:21:22 am »
Smileys count for a lot  ;)

Jack Wallace

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:24:01 am »
Great every one is happy then lol.   :D  :D  :D

Sorry mods I know you dont like the use of text speak lol. oops sorry done it again.

Window Washers

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:38:06 am »
Smileys count for a lot  ;)
I don't like smileys...

:P

:-*

;D

Sorry mods, I will go and sit in the corner :-X