This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

Water proof membrane boots/gloves? No way!
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:07 pm »
I cannot stand this anymore.

First of all, my Sealskins winter gloves are letting water through now, they used to be fine, barely have used them, fingertips freezing cold because they are all wet (not soaking, but moist wet).

Just bought some Click traders boots, Water penetration resistant & Waterproof breathable membrane lining. I thought, wow good price, fantastic! Real comfy boots too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370115078032&_trksid=p2759.l1259

First full day on the job with water going over shoes from leaking tap. Came home, and my socks are wet!!!!!

>:(  >:(

I just cannot believe this membrane lining stuff.

ftp

Re: Water proof membrane boots/gloves? No way!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:16:30 pm »
Get what you pay for with boots i've found. I've tried loads the best so far were Brashers I had £130 lasted a year. Now using Berghouse for £98 seem ok so far (three weeks).
Goretex seems the best. Avoid Hi-Tec super dooper waterproof coated boots. They are waterproof allright but just let the water in through the stitching  ::) ::)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 07:24:33 pm »
Are Sealskinz a work glove - no!!!. Sealskinz are excellent gloves for walking or cycling - low impact activity!!!

As has been said you get what you pay for in footwear. Just bought some Scarpa ZG10 GTX for walking - not work because I like dry feet when out walking.

£23.99 for a pair of waterproof work shoes - they were never going to keep you dry. Get down to TK maxx and get some mid range lined walking boots. Your feet need looking after - look after them!!

Rob ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:39:04 pm »
I got some work boots from sport direct for about £30 and they keep your feet dry and they are quite warm to wear ;D I saw brashers there also they was next stop if these didnt work.

I know not on topic but waterproofs was another bain in my life I went through about 5 pairs last year, the expensive ones are to thin the cheap just fall apart.

There is a market for window cleaning clothes that the suppliers all seem to keep missing, i'm not talking about finding a pair of gloves ect and selling on, I mean designing something for us that works..seems that rocket science :-\

I very rarely wear gloves as there are none on the market made for our industry that work, unger near have it they just need to make them thinner and keep your hands warm.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

ftp

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:41:13 pm »
Waterproof clothing? My house keeps me dry and warm on wet days  ;D

MSTAV

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:43:56 pm »
Waterproof clothing? My house keeps me dry and warm on wet days  ;D

lol

Sean Dyer

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »
Are Sealskinz a work glove - no!!!. Sealskinz are excellent gloves for walking or cycling - low impact activity!!!

As has been said you get what you pay for in footwear. Just bought some Scarpa ZG10 GTX for walking - not work because I like dry feet when out walking.

£23.99 for a pair of waterproof work shoes - they were never going to keep you dry. Get down to TK maxx and get some mid range lined walking boots. Your feet need looking after - look after them!!

Rob ;D

merrells about £80 i wear great lightweight comfy and warm and dry unless you stand in a river or something :)

Sean Dyer

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:52:48 pm »
I got some work boots from sport direct for about £30 and they keep your feet dry and they are quite warm to wear ;D I saw brashers there also they was next stop if these didnt work.

I know not on topic but waterproofs was another bain in my life I went through about 5 pairs last year, the expensive ones are to thin the cheap just fall apart.

There is a market for window cleaning clothes that the suppliers all seem to keep missing, i'm not talking about finding a pair of gloves ect and selling on, I mean designing something for us that works..seems that rocket science :-\

I very rarely wear gloves as there are none on the market made for our industry that work, unger near have it they just need to make them thinner and keep your hands warm.

Ive thought this before mate

like when trad i thought people should invite a waterproof pocketless leg that wouldnt get wet with boab but normal fabric elsewhere so you dont get too hot in summer :)

but theres defineitly a market but maybe not enough to warrant it for them

MNWC

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:23:45 pm »
Northern territory boots are good i had a pair of these , they lasted two winters

RO-Sheen

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 08:25:56 pm »
I've tried loads of boots and the best are british army goretex boots from ebay, only £35 delivered. I have them a year and so comfortable from day one and still waterproof and warm.

Gloves....I had the same problem with sealskinz but as someone said they are not really work gloves. I recently got the Jokka gloves. very big in a 'mickey mouse hands' sort of way but they are warm and waterproof and easy to take off quickly if you need your fingers for writing out slips etc.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:26:51 pm »
Sean

Do you stand in many rivers - on a normal day?? ;D

Rob ;D

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »
I've had Karrimor snow boots since the begining of october, bought my sealskinz the same day.

Sealskinz lasted 2 weeks, snow boots have been through everything and still waterproof and warm
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

lee_dewing

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 11:42:57 pm »
i've been wearing wellies £10,   100% waterproof ;D

not great for ladders, i'm wfp.

don't go on ladders much.

Keep thinking of buying rigger boots £40 ish.

there the tan boots all the road workers wear, glorified wellies with steel toe cap and furry lining to keep your totsies; toastie warm.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

wizard

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 12:10:42 am »
I would send the boots back and want my cash back the add on e bay clearly water proof not water resistant.Sold under false pretences.Tradeing standerds would here from me if I did not get my cash.

gary mallett

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 07:55:15 am »
good uns

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 09:12:47 am »
I would send the boots back and want my cash back the add on e bay clearly water proof not water resistant.Sold under false pretences.Tradeing standerds would here from me if I did not get my cash.

Yea I've already sent an email back, they haven't replied yet.

Thing is, even if it's cheap, a waterproof membrane lining should be exactly that, waterproof! Wether it's cheap or not!

And my sealskins were £25, while they retail in shops for a lot more. Definitely not a bargain, and it's still happening.  :(

I just want to be dry and warm.  :-\

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 09:20:00 am »
Simple solutions are best.

1. Fix your tap
2. Until you do put polythene food bags over your socks and inside your boots. Dry your boots overnight near a radiator.
3. Buy a pack of 100 throwaway gloves like the ones you get at the diesel pump in some garages (about £2.50) and put them inside your gloves.

My gloves (several pairs of rubber front/wool back builders gloves at about £2 a pair) are full of holes, but by putting the polythene glove inside (even if you use three pairs a day you only spend about 8 pence) you keep them warm.

It's a game of three halves!