This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

petski2

Merlin
« on: January 21, 2010, 03:02:46 pm »
Me again ::)
I have a problem with my water production :o
Ok iv been usin merlin for a good few years,over the freezing period basically it froze and broke the housings and ruined the membranes ::)
I have just got a new one and piped it up exactly the same as the last one.
I used to get roughly 100lts an hour from my old one yet iv just taken a measurement and it took 2 mins to produce 1 ltr? thats 30 ltrs an hour ???
Water pressure is between 40 and 50.
Any ideas guys?
thanks
Pete

Frankybadboy

Re: Merlin
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:30:25 pm »
just make sure that everything is fitted right and correct.

JamesTurnbull

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:57:08 pm »
i dont have a merlin system, but i just got a 200gpd system, and it took a few weeks before the membranes broke in and started giving me the right out put,
 but i would check you have got everything right and all the connections are tight.

cybersye

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:36:38 pm »
check the rubber "o" rings that the membranes are seated in and make sure they are not damaged or leaking.

petski2

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:35:57 pm »
Cybersye,checked the o rings and they were indeed damaged badly,luckily the ones on the damaged membranes were fine so replaced them. :D :D :D :D :D
This has solved one problem,tds going in was 290 and coming out was 64 ???
Well its now coming out at 28ppm which is about right.
Unfortunately the rate is the same about 1/2 ltr per minute ??? ???
Everything is piped and connected up correctly,checked and double checked ;)
Water pressure 46 psi.
Temperature 9 degrees.
These conditions are the same as my old merlin which gave me about 2 ltrs per minute at 28ppm.
Iv been using it now for over a week so I would have thought any bedding in period would be over by now?
I know some will say "why not just ring where you got it from?" but i thought it would be easier if i could fix it.
Thanks in advance if anyone can shed any light on it.
Pete

Jack Wallace

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:33:03 pm »
Off topic slightly sorry!

I have been thinking of changing to a Merlin but I have been led to believe that if you are in a high TDS area, (i am) then the cost of DI after a merlin is very high as the output is not good.

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:33:56 pm »
glad I could help with one problem atleast but the other one has me stumped, sorry  :-[
how long do you think you've had it running for in total ?

cybersye

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 06:36:28 pm »

I have been thinking of changing to a Merlin but I have been led to believe that if you are in a high TDS area, (i am) then the cost of DI after a merlin is very high as the output is not good.

yes it can be
which is why I changed to a 4040, it doubled my output and reduced my resin costs by atleast 50 %

Jack Wallace

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 06:39:46 pm »

yes it can be
which is why I changed to a 4040, it doubled my output and reduced my resin costs by atleast 50 %
Thanks cybersye, I will look into the 4040 as an alternative in that case.

petski2

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 09:26:46 pm »
Can any of you guys that use a merlin post your output in this post please.
TDS going in...300
TDS coming out...28
Pressure 46 psi.
Rate 30 ltrs an hour >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Thanks in advance
Pete

jr windows

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:37:53 pm »
I have used a merlin for 3 years. I run the system for 20 to 30 mins b4 I put it into an ibc. My tap Tds is 236 and out is 003. My water pressure is 39 psi and it takes about 7 hours to make 750 ltrs.

Good luck jay

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 09:43:11 pm »
giong in 250
out of merlin 19
psi 45
about 100-150 lts an hour depending on temp.

Had similar prob on my merlin when first got it, turns out the membrains were faulty
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

petski2

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 10:08:15 pm »
Thanks guys.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 10:57:43 pm »
 320 going in - after 10 mins down to 16 coming out - 70 psi

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:40 pm »
always takes about tem mins to run to drop from 90 to 19 tds.  Anyone know why ?
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

petski2

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 11:03:11 pm »
Right can anyone here see any other person to blame than the supplier?
After the 1st set of membranes were duds they sent me a 2nd set.
With 2nd set..
water in ..280tds >:(
water out 19tds. :)
water pressure 46psi. :)
rate..30 ltrs per hour ???

Supplier has said they give in and cant explain the reason for the poor performance of the membranes.
Thats fair enough and ill make it clear now the customer service has been excellent :)
Now get this..............
I assumed because the old membranes were encased in an inch of ice they would be useless so i threw them in the bin.
The supplier suggested trying them and letting them know the output.
I dug them out of the wheelie bin and put them in place of the newly bought ones.
Hey presto..
TDS in 280
tds out 19
pressure 46psi
rate 130 ltrs per hour :o
I put the newly purchased ones back in and the rate fell back to 30 ltrs per hour.
No bad connections,no faulty rubber washers etc etc.
As I say they have asked me to return the 4 membranes (they are sending a courier) and im back to using my old ones :o
Basically I have bought a merlin shell lol.
They are going to refund the difference.
They sounded so perplexed on the phone it made me paranoid that i was missing something ???
But for the life in me i cant think of anything.

JamesTurnbull

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 11:10:50 pm »
its good you got sorted  ;D

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 02:17:08 am »
Me again ::)
I have a problem with my water production :o
Ok iv been usin merlin for a good few years,over the freezing period basically it froze and broke the housings and ruined the membranes ::)
I have just got a new one and piped it up exactly the same as the last one.
I used to get roughly 100lts an hour from my old one yet iv just taken a measurement and it took 2 mins to produce 1 ltr? thats 30 ltrs an hour ???
Water pressure is between 40 and 50.
Any ideas guys?
thanks
Pete

I get about 30 litres an hour from mine too.  Water pressure 35-40PSI.  It's not an issue for me as that is enough water production for my needs.  It works because I'm a sole trader and the only one using the supply.  If the Merlin was in my van though (rather than feeding a holding tank) I would be struggling.
I reckon a pump would increase your production but that may not be practical depending on your situation.

MSTAV

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:53 am »
400 going in
36 going out.
It takes 5 hours to filll my 400 litre tank.