Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Eddie Conroy

Shouldn,t be surprised, (but I am)
« on: June 14, 2005, 10:24:52 pm »
Early this morning I had an emergency call from a care home that I have recently done some work in.
They have an Inspection by the authorities tomorrow and one of the residents had urinated down the main stairs. There was a dreadful smell and could I help.
Rearranged the day and got down there mid morning  and did the clean.
Wanting to make sure the treatment worked, I called back this evening to meet a member of staff, who told me they had tried to effect a clean using  Vinegar and Bicarb (not too sure in what order) and then steamed with a domestic steamer. I was also informed  that the reason why it had smelt so bad is the resident had some form of 'infection'.
I am confident that I followed basic hygiene criteria, but feel that I am going to have to design some sort of form which the client signs  before I start work.
I would be grateful for any ideas
Eddie

John Kelly

Re: Shouldn,t be surprised, (but I am)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 10:50:13 pm »
Hi Eddie

Would'nt worry too much if they've used a steamer prior to your visit it is likely any hazardous agents have been killed off. When dealing with any urine stains (human) it is always worth pre-treating with an anti-microbial just to make sure any bacteria or viruses have been dealt with, especially Hepatitis. Anti-microbial needs to be allowed to dwell for the specified time for that specific product, usually around ten minutes. It is then still advisable to take extra care, especially when emptying the tank on portables, how many times have you had a splash back on your face?
MRSA is an increasing problem in care homes, we sell air purifiers specifically designed to destroy MRSA, however the lack of knowledge and ignorance of the infection by the people concerned in the care of sufferers is frightening.
I would advise anyone carrying out work in care homes or hospitals for that matter to take extreme care and to use suitable PPE. Might seem over the top but these infections can cripple you for life. Just look at some of the MRSA forums on the web and you'll realise how common they are contrary to government statistics.

mark_roberts

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 04:59:54 pm »
Splash back on your face?  You must be really small or have a very badly designed portable.

Mark

Matt Read

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 07:02:14 pm »
Happens rarely,but if the porty is indoors and you're using buckets to empty you have to bend down to open the sluice !
Matt

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 10:19:49 pm »
Mark
I can't believe you haven't been splashed at least once. The design of the waste sluice is nearly the same on all portables, That initial slosh into the waste bucket always gives off some spray. It's happened to me many times over the last eleven years using various machines. Trouble is you only need to be splashed once with a serious contaminant and it's straight into your body via your eyes. There are hundreds of bacteria, viruses, and other nasties I can't even spell, in human waste. Some of these are the well known ones like Hepatitis but some of the other ones are germs which may not lead to a specified illness, but can cause problems with the heart and other organs.
I am speaking from experience as a technician who carries out trauma scene cleanups and sewage remediation for water companies.

Martin S

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 10:50:21 pm »
John,

Not if you use CFR it doesn't, there is no waste'sluice' as such,  it's a capped hose.

From the spokesperson for Mark Roberts. (unofficial)  ;D ;D
Martin

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 10:00:21 am »
Capped hoses are just as bad. You are still within a couple of feet of the outlet when you bend down to take the cap off. If the CFR is similar to the one on the large Numatics I would think there was more chance of a splash back.

Martin S

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 10:02:22 am »
not if you don't discharge into Buckets.
Martin

John Kelly

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 10:06:45 am »
Where do you discharge to. A drain I suspect, however there isn't always one available, you can still get a splash unless. Anyway I was only offering some sensible advice.

Martin S

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 10:12:55 am »
John,

I know you were only offering sensible advice.  As a CFR user, (albeit fairly new) I haven't had this problem yet, but you do make a valid point all the same.  I'll wind my neck in now.  :)

Regards
Martin

garyj

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 12:10:16 pm »
If there is a chance of splash, then this should have been highlighted by your risk assessment and you would have to take the neccessary steps to counteract the problem. So why not invest in some personal protection equipment, safety specs are only a couple of quid, and they could save your eyes or a nasty infection. If someone else was using your machine and you haven't told them of the possibility of splash back, then YOU are in the wrong.

John_Flynn

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 01:51:52 pm »
I would gamble that at least only 10% of people reading this site have had the nessesary injections to protect against serious infections that can be contacted in our industry.

They are FREE if you approach your Doctor correctly!!
I get better looking each day!!

Len Gribble

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 09:14:24 pm »
You cant move by road manure with out a licence but you can human you know what, If a human dose it its safe other categories it’s not don’t, you just love this joined up thinking!

John

Think you may be right my doctor thinks he is Nick Holman. ;D

Can you let me have the patter to get it free! via pm will do as I don’t want all and sundry knowing that would put extra pressure on the NHS :(

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

John_Flynn

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 09:35:18 pm »
Check your Inbox Len, Words of Wisdom are there for you to see !!
I get better looking each day!!