This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bignick

how cold before can't put the ladders up?
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:37:24 am »
how cold or what temp does it need to get to before can't put ladders up for trad wc, so ladders don't slip and fall off??  doing a big house on sat morning so need to do it but not at risk of slipping. :-\
Bignick

Re: how cold before can't put the ladders up?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:46 am »
how cold or what temp does it need to get to before can't put ladders up for trad wc, so ladders don't slip and fall off??  doing a big house on sat morning so need to do it but not at risk of slipping. :-\

Just get some rubber matting to go underneath and some ladder mitts to prevent sideways slip at the top.  Might need to put a load of screenwash in the water too to stop it freezing.  I've done trad window cleaning at a fair few degrees below zero in the past.  I would do it with WFP as well but you can't really put an anti freezing agent in it without making the water impure.

cozy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:04:01 am »
Sounds about right there Leaps. Cap of Ethanol in the water and we are OK down to -6, then it gets abit tricky. Keep ladders dry and be extra carefull, that's about it really.

Scrimble

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:14:10 pm »
ladderm8trix is brilliant for work in icy conditions, the spikes dig into ice

Mist A Bit

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:45:04 pm »
if its thick of ice or snow i wouldn`t risk the ladder unless you know the ground underneith and your confident that you`ve made it safe.

steve

jonnyald

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:53:59 pm »
i say put spikes on your ladder(from ebay )  ,  these will dig in on the iceyest gound .less than a tenner and quick release

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:23:17 pm »
You'll know.

When the first limb freezes solid and shatters because of the cold its time to call it a day  ;D

Until that time, plod on  ;D

I went out one year, about 7 years ago, the ground was frozen with lots of dodgy dodgy patios because of the ice, I just did ground floor and explained the issue. Quite a few were grateful that Id tried my best and kept going. Obviously adjusted the price accordingly, I was really surprised at the hourly rate, it was far better that way  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 05:36:39 pm »
if the water starts to freeze on the window i think its time to call it a day IMO!on topic i use a extension pole instead of ladders when its snow or ice on the ground.in fact i would go so far to say that i climb ladders a lot less  in winter generally!get a pole for gods sake!u wont regret it.a lot safer!
price higher/work harder!

cozy

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 05:40:59 pm »
Matt and Daz have good points there. Bought a Wagtail last week from WW, got to practice really soon as snow is on the way here. That idea about just doing downstairs is great, if I'm too stupid with a Wagtail, I'll go down that route, thanks for the idea lads.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:11:27 pm »
it takes a bit of practice using a trad pole but worth it.i dont use a wagtail.just stick squeegy/mop on when needed then scrim/microfibre in a clamp.fine for regularly cleaned windows.makes sure u got plenty of dry scrim/microfibres at the ready/good rubber on the squeegy.job done!and a lot safer! ;D ;D

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:43:05 pm »
Ladder use is restricted regardless of the temperature. Save your life, go wfp!

paul saunders

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:08:14 pm »

What height is it restricted to. ???
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:20:08 pm »
wot r u on lad ladders aint restricted
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Gaby P.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:29:05 pm »

What height is it restricted to. ???

1st rung...... ::)

1wayno

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:43 pm »

save your life..its not a bomb lol nothin wrong with a good day on the ladders,good for ya :D

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 10:55:06 pm »
i used to take a lot more risks on the ladders years ago but not anymore!older and wiser(38!)i think u trad guys are risking serious injury if u not got an extension pole in this weather as it has been proved many times with the sheer amount of shattered heels/back injuries etc.be careful out there lads!!

1wayno

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 11:03:23 pm »
yeh wen i first started out i was runnin along roofs and putin my ladders in stupid positions with a care in the world,jus thinkin ahh it ul be reight lol but wen ur ladders slip for the first time wen ur up doin a first floor window over a bay,kinda gives u a wake up call to be abit more carefull lol iv slipped a few times jus walkin down the street whilst carrin my ladders lol

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 11:20:24 pm »
ha!ha!i did that once about 12 yrs ago!it had been raining heavy overnight and it froze the ground really bad!worse thing i slipped on my arse right in front of this fit bird gettin in her car!ladders just missed her car and landed on top of me!well embarrassed but we both just laughed and laughed!a real youve been framed moment!! ::) ::) :) ;D ;D

1wayno

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 11:33:11 pm »
yeh wen u slip over u get up as quick as u can,look round to see if any1 saw u,and then u go round the corner and curse ur heart out at the top of ur voice lol i hate doin stupid stuff infront of fit birds,but it always happens to me,its never an old woman! lol

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 11:47:02 pm »
 :-\ :-\