This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Moderator David@stives

Route planning
« on: December 06, 2009, 09:51:02 pm »
We have got a couple of hundred jobs due this week and my head is in bits, I have tried to map them in google the best way I can but it has taken me 2 days nearly.

Apart from George and WCPro is there an easier way, I know Service CEO is supposed to plot them by postcode for you, but I dont want to pay £2k to see if its any good.

Is there an easier way ?

tacky

Re: Route planning
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 10:07:26 pm »
i spect u know already .that rac n aa .etc do this stuff for members .but mayb for extra payment they may sort u out .no harm in trying if u havnt already . good luck anyway

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:11:54 pm »
Can't you get a free demo of service CEO?
Or maybe as Kev Red if you can have a peek at his,...

ok cleaning

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 10:12:38 pm »
How did you do them before ? do the same planning

bobby p

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »
bang em into your satnav ?

Lee Pryor

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:17:42 pm »
these must be regulars dave???? werent they already in order.

been doing all mine in an exel spreadsheet, put them in the best possible order once and let the sat nav do the rest.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:33:29 pm »
lee

We have weeklys, monthlys, fornightlys, outs, in and outs, covering every town in Cornwall every week, Added to that we have just picked up loads of shops, even if i print a list, i need to put them into job order for the staff, If they were just on estates it would be easy.

It is a case of drive 3 miles do 2 jobs, drive 5 miles do 4 jobs etc, I have to sort that for 3 vans making sure nothing gets missed, every week the routes need changing to make the most efficient use of the vans.

Dave

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:41:33 pm »
Dave,

My weeks work is planned, just about.

This youtube clip may help you in a round-about sort of way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg9wMXRt5ck

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 10:44:20 pm »
Ken

Your'e right, job centre tommorrow for a manager and secratery.

Sorted, thanks, just needed reminding

Dave

Tosh

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 10:46:07 pm »
But a more helpful approach could be this:

I have a big excell spreadsheet and in the first column I assign a code that equals a given area.

So, for example, in Llangym (a rural villaige) I do about 10 properties and the code in that column is '5'.  I'll copy the document to a working file and I highlight the whole spreadsheet (Ctrl A) and do a sort on the first column and everything will change from alaphabetical order to area order.  

I just delete everything I don't want and print off what I do want.  It takes a minute.

You could add another column showing frequency and do another sort on that.  Does WCP not sort by area?

Lee Pryor

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 10:47:53 pm »
i hear you dave

we also run 3 vans with similar frequencies to those you mentioned. because we offer a 12 week choice we have 12 separate sheets for each round that run as a continuas list. if something is weekly they simply apear in every week list for that team. those lists are put in the best possible order and we just work through them start to finish and so on.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 10:54:04 pm »
Yes it sorts by area, the trouble is if i plan a route from say penzance to st austell and i want to take a slightly different route to take in some monthlys etc, it throws the program order out if you know what i mean, if it had drag and drop on the main round screen and i knew where the jobs were then it might be different.

Some of my jobs, i havent got a clue where they are, so i cant visualise them in my head, maybe some kind of pinboard might be useful.

Lee 

Added to my woes is some banks i have picked up, they have to be done in specified weeks, which are sent to me at the beginning of each month.

I would love to come and see how other people do it

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 10:59:14 pm »
Dave, computers are great at manipulating information and displaying it in a format you want it.

I'm no whizz at Excell Spreadsheets, but I reckon that would do what you require.

dai

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 11:05:56 pm »
Dave, If you have 3 vans, can't you split the round into 3 areas and letting the staff sort out their own work. As long as they have the frequency rate they should be able to manage this, even if they only have 3 days work in their own section, you could pull them all together for the bigger jobs on the remaining 2 days. Just a thought Dai

Lee Pryor

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 11:07:22 pm »
dave i think you need to have a custom programme written to suite your business, i did just that and it was great untill i fell out with the programmer, still lessons learnt, i plan to have another desiged later.

abilol

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 11:14:15 pm »
dave i do loads of shops witch covers the northwest area i find the best way was to get your map book out ring all the areas just to get basic idea where they r all and then you  r not going backwards  and forwards  cheers laurie

Nathanael Jones

richywilts

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 11:46:09 pm »
lee roughly how much do these computer programmers charge to build a software program?? i could do with one building for my new business rof coating??? i understand it will probly depend on how you want ur programme designed
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Lee Pryor

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 12:34:31 am »
 i paid £3000 for mine and i have also been quoted around that for the new one.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 06:59:18 am »
dave if the driver know the custmors well.

then just put then in town order ie hayle-newquay-lands end then let the driver sort out which is best way todo them when he gets to the town.
doing by post codes dont mean to say they be in order either so what for that one,
trust the driver abit if hes the regular man.he know best