Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sure Cleaning

Website creation software
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:22:10 am »
I noticed recently quite a few people on here looking to build websites and it got me thinking I shoulh update mine as it was quite old and only described pressure cleaning.

I didn't want to spend hundreds on website designers as it only needs to be basic and simple and Im not concerned about being no 1 on google.

While I was searching the net for some good software to help build a website, that didnt cost the earth I came across this: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/webplus/ .

They provide a free download which provides a basic start, but for £9.99 you can upgrade to full version which I have found excellent. Very easy to use and with a bit of effort a professional site can be made.

If anyone interested in building their own website I recommend you take a look.

Steve G

P.S. I am not an affilate to the site and make no money from recommending it....I just think its good value   

Nathanael Jones

Re: Website creation software
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:52:19 am »
Im not concerned about being no 1 on google.

Whats the point of wasting spending time building a website if no one will be able to find it? Its like getting flyers printed then throwing them in the bin! ::)

Sure Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:28:01 am »
Hi Nathanael,

I appreciate your comment and obviously being top on a search engine is great, but I use my website as a link to all my advertising that I carry out locally.  All our leaflets, all our magazine/directory ads all contain our website address for customers to find out more about us.

I also link my site with local publications again generating local business.

I don't want enquires from all over the country to clean windows or pressure clean driveways.

If you are selling products off a website I can fully see the need to be no 1 to sell to everyone all over the world.

It doesn't mean I won't try to optimise my website, its just not my no 1 concern.

Steve G

Your website looks very professional   

Sure Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 10:52:43 am »
I've statred to set up new website, for £9.99 I still think excellent value.

To create website it really is quite easy....drag & drop most parts. All templates easily customised to what you want.

Coments appreciated good or bad.

http://www.surecleaning.com/index.html

The front page is not done yet, other pages are just ideas. I have used a few pics that are not mine, they will be changed over the next few weeks to ones I've taken.

If any one is looking to build their own website...this software is good.

Steve G

traps7

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:02:46 am »
Nice m8. But dont put your bank details on there. Give them out on request. I know you've just entered 12345678 for now but we've had this discusion before on another thread.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=81834.20#msg722349

Sure Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 11:06:30 am »
Thanks Traps,

I will alter that.

Steve G

lee_dewing

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 11:15:09 am »
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=85645.0

sure-cleaning hears a post i made with some advice of others if you haven't read already.

I agree 100% with your views about not being googled, as this is how i see it, website is just an extension of leaflet business card.

regarding your site it looks pretty good but i find the home page header pic a little annoying and jerky.

As you already have before and after pics with this con roof one, i'd replace pic on home page with you cleaning windows wfp.

I'd put a section with a brief explanation of wfp and advantages.

I'd try a few different fonts and maybe scale down pics on before and after and just display before and after pics side by side.

Scale down text as much as poss and increase size to make it pleasant to look at not so daunting to read; easy on the eye.

Sorry sure-cleaning, hope i haven't droned on and been over critical.

When i do mine i will show you and give us your thoughts

well done.
thanks for link; lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

lee_dewing

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 11:16:11 am »
good point on bank details there.

Sure Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 11:37:57 am »
Thanks Lee,

Comments much appreciated.

The pressure cleaning page I know has way too much text on it!!  I've just been playing around with links and pages, and just cut and pasted some text I had from an A4 letter/ad we had.

Are the picture too large on the before/after page?  I have a 32" monitor on my pc and looks ok!

Thanks

Steve G

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 02:31:06 pm »
You can optimise your search engine rankings geographically (In fact its often the easiest way to do it) so you only show up on page one for searches in your local areas,..

Window Washers

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 03:53:45 pm »
Think your site is looking good, do agree with the header image flicking, maybe make that static and change on each page :-\

I m8 of mine uses serif is good for people wanting to diy. I cant understand why anyone would say it is just an extention of a business card and not to bothered about the seo side  ???

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »
because for me that is what it is.

Obviously different for ian and nat.

Not saying anyone's wrong.

we all have different views ;)

M Henderson

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 08:42:01 pm »
Wordpress is free. It's designed for blogging but you can use it to create simple sites quite easily.

You can install it on your own domain name if you have one.

traps7

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 09:25:18 pm »
You can optimise your search engine rankings geographically (In fact its often the easiest way to do it) so you only show up on page one for searches in your local areas,..

How do you do that out of interest?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:41:28 pm »

How do you do that out of interest?

Make a list of the towns/villages/area's you want to gain new work in, and use these keywords in both your meta tags and your on page text.

When ppl search Google for a window cleaner, they don't just type "Window Cleaner",.. the type the name of their town also,.. :)

matt

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 10:46:57 pm »
without being argumentative with the website "guru's " here

BUT

some people just want a website to have as a "badge" to look that little bit more professional to potential customers, people think it looks good

some people might just want a website to list other services they offer

some people might want a website to offer the customer "online payment"

good google ranking is not the holy grail

just pointing out other idea's ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 07:58:53 am »

BUT

some people just want a website to have as a "badge" to look that little bit more professional to potential customers, people think it looks good

I do agree with you Matt, but something that should be part of the design should be done when designing the site as it is part of it, just some do not know how when they design themself, and also does not help that there are comapnies out there selling site without the basic seo in them, imo thats just robbing people of money, sort of like selling a bike with one wheel it should not be done but it is.
I would agree if it is just a payment portal then seo would be blocked and non indexed in search engines for this reason.

Ian
p.s Google is the holy grail "how dare you"  :P
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

matt

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 01:49:09 pm »

BUT

I do agree with you Matt, but something that should be part of the design should be done when designing the site as it is part of it, just some do not know how when they design themself, and also does not help that there are comapnies out there selling site without the basic seo in them, imo thats just robbing people of money, sort of like selling a bike with one wheel it should not be done but it is.
I would agree if it is just a payment portal then seo would be blocked and non indexed in search engines for this reason.

Ian
p.s Google is the holy grail "how dare you"  :P

oh i agree, i was asked a while back to look at a site, it had no headers what so every, he wanted it changed so when some1 bookmarked the site it was saved automatically as " freds sweet shop " it was shocking, he paid some1 275 quid for the site, which was a front page and a shopping cart ( which was 1 of them script carts )

i have issues with google, i much prefered it when people used various search engines, yahoo, jeeves, lycos, excite, altavista and netscape, i disliked MSN back then as i was concearned that M$ would take the PC market over and thats not healthy
funny how google took the mantle and look set to stay top dog