This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Batteries, for those who know
« on: December 04, 2009, 04:53:25 pm »
My 85Ah 12v leisure battery that came with my PureFreedom van mount has twice this winter played up and failed to make it to the end of the day.

So today I got a 110Ah 12V jobbie.

My question is would it be benficial in any way to link the 2 batteries together so I would have the 110Ah plus whatever the old batteries power is worth? Or would the old battery kill the new one?

TIA

Matt

mlscontractcleaner

Re: Batteries, for those who know
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 04:56:43 pm »
That's fine. I have a battery in the back of my van that is starting to lose power before the end of the day so I ran a couple of wires from my van battery and when I need to I just attach these wires to my original battery with crocodile clips. You can hear the pump pick up and the water flows lovely again ;D
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

LWC

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:57:51 pm »
Cant see it killing new battery, but why dont you just leave it in van in case other one goes and swap em over.

clean

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:58:40 pm »
Matt i don`t honestly know what other people do to their batteries especially those big ah ones but i have been using a 28ah gel filled golf cart battery on my van mount system for "FIVE YEARS" :o and have never had any problems with it

concept

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:02:33 pm »
do you run a split charge system in van?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:18:23 pm »
That's fine. I have a battery in the back of my van that is starting to lose power before the end of the day so I ran a couple of wires from my van battery and when I need to I just attach these wires to my original battery with crocodile clips. You can hear the pump pick up and the water flows lovely again ;D
I did that for about a year, after getting though 3 batteries in the previous 18 months.
Now I cut out the middle man and have it permanantly wired to the van battery.

Never got any worries about flat batteries any more!

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:24:11 pm »
do you run a split charge system in van?

Nope

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:24:50 pm »
Cant see it killing new battery, but why dont you just leave it in van in case other one goes and swap em over.

I think in hindsight that is what I will do, be sure the spare is charged and keep it there for just in case.

Matt

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 05:32:46 pm »
My 85Ah 12v leisure battery that came with my PureFreedom van mount has twice this winter played up and failed to make it to the end of the day.

My question is would it be benficial in any way to link the 2 batteries together so I would have the 110Ah plus whatever the old batteries power is worth? Or would the old battery kill the new one?

TIA

Matt
Never never never Matt, if you link them together then your crap battery with bring the other one down to the same level in no time, use them independently by all means but never link an old one to a new one.

dai

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 05:33:00 pm »
As long as you stick to the 50% rule, they should last for ages. Buy a cheap meter and charge them when they read 12.05 volts.
I have an 85 amp hour leisure battery, and I charge it every other night. Of course you will use up a lot less battery power if you use a flow controller, with the bypass system your battery is always running flat out.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 06:01:50 pm »

TIA

Matt
Never never never Matt, if you link them together then your crap battery with bring the other one down to the same level in no time, use them independently by all means but never link an old one to a new one.

Okay Jeff, thanks for that. I was hoping you might appear  ;D

Its funny somehow I kinda figured (and I dont know how) that what you are saying may well have been the case.

Thanks for highlighting that point.

Matt

matt

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 06:19:50 pm »
use the older battery as a spare, buy a solar charger so its allways topped up, then you know it will have usage in it

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »
I have a split relay charger and once a week put it on the charger to keep it nice and fresh. Seems to be working allright. :)