Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tom2009

jumped from a job anyone?
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:23:43 pm »
i've had enough of battling for days off and not seeing my kids. I've gathered a few (7)  regular customers gathered from door knocking and 2 neighbours and done 2 large one off jobs. Going for 4 weeks fitting in the cleans on day off. I'm nervous about making the change, leaving my rut which pays the mortgage etc. Just wondered if anyone had done the above.

Dean Taberner

Re: jumped from a job anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »
7 jobs or 7 kids  ??? ???

;) ;)
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

tom2009

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »
3 kids. Missus would like another 4 though :P

Dean Taberner

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:33:20 pm »
I left my job working in a parts department but I had no kids at the time,

Keep it up fella and good luck.

Dean

martinsadie

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:38:21 pm »
i did it  ;D ;D ;D

tom2009

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 07:38:57 pm »
how long before you replaced your parts dept. money Dean.I understand it depends on work rate and the likes but just interested.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 07:40:55 pm »
It wasnt hard to replace tom,

I was only taking home £170 a week  :o :o :o

Thats why I ran off.

Dean

tom2009

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 07:41:19 pm »
i did it  ;D ;D ;D
sounds interesting Stan. Any more info?

martinsadie

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 07:48:52 pm »
i did it  ;D ;D ;D
sounds interesting Stan. Any more info?
only way to start around here is to buy work,so bought a small round ,cleaned it saturdays,bought a bit more got my mate to help cleaned after work friday, 1 till 5 and saturdays all day sometimes then bought a big chunk and finished work,cleaner i bought off was finishing and wouldnt split round up,so i had to sell some off,best thing i ever did never ever door knock but round keeps growing and every year i sell some off and still have more work than 6 years since

wizard

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:56:41 pm »
 I made that change not volentary. Made redundant with no cash to leave with only my wife’s income. A big battle mate, one year later sill battling but am on the winning side every month with the odd bad one. But if you want something bad enough you have to keep going. I did not even have money for a squeegee. Its not easy so decide what you want and retreat on go forward. It takes guts. Good luck

Ian W

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:57:57 pm »
I left a decent job and did things similar to Stan. Started part time (1 day a week) with a small round I bought. Then decided to go full time and bought another chunk of work. This brought me up to the same amount of money I was on before. Haven't canvassed much, but round still grows each month. Oh, got three kids too.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

TC1

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:02:31 pm »
i've had enough of battling for days off and not seeing my kids. I've gathered a few (7)  regular customers gathered from door knocking and 2 neighbours and done 2 large one off jobs. Going for 4 weeks fitting in the cleans on day off. I'm nervous about making the change, leaving my rut which pays the mortgage etc. Just wondered if anyone had done the above.

I did it at the end of October this year, Have now got nearly 70 regular monthly customers and the number is going up daily. Have never spent so much time with the kids. If you can manage a couple of months without any pay then my advice would be DO IT, just makesure you do LOTS n LOTS of door knocking! Good luck with your decision!

Tony

tom2009

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 08:09:10 pm »
buying a bit of a round seems the way to get a head start. Its got to be good though long term, doing a good job, gradually increasing speed and building a solid round = a much more enjoyable life all round. My work just take the michael and I've just had a gutfull.

tom2009

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 08:17:20 pm »
I did it at the end of October this year, Have now got nearly 70 regular monthly customers and the number is going up daily. Have never spent so much time with the kids. If you can manage a couple of months without any pay then my advice would be DO IT, just makesure you do LOTS n LOTS of door knocking! Good luck with your decision!

Tony
fantastic! its a case of working out the daily number I need to do and then cracking on. I actually enjoy knocking doors so no prob. there. Ultimate goal for me is to have regular Sundays off as in retail the days all roll into one long one. thanks Tony  ;D

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 08:25:10 pm »
buying a bit of a round seems the way to get a head start. Its got to be good though long term, doing a good job, gradually increasing speed and building a solid round = a much more enjoyable life all round. My work just take the michael and I've just had a gutfull.

All sounds very familiar, my plan was to start by cleaning 1 or 2 days per week on my days off from my full time job. I was hating my job and I had been looking at various ideas to start up on my own and this was the one that suited me best, I cleaned my first customers windows 9 weeks ago, I've been door knocking at least 3 times per week for the last month and I've now got 48 customers.

Oh yea, I lost my job in the middle of October so the matter of when to jump was taking from me, so my savings are going down quickly, but it spurs me on to keep canvassing.

I also have 3 kids ;)

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 08:25:54 pm »
i also bought a small round when i started 15 yrs ago when i was 23.i worked for a local WC for a year before i started though.then canvassed every weekend for 6 months until i had a fair round!it was hard work!got a lot of knock backs!bad payers,messers etc but so glad ive stuck at it!remember though WINDOW CLEANING IS NOT EASY MONEY!!its hard work!no sick/holiday pay then downtime because of weather etc.its took years to get a decent round together.there is a lot of competition about these days BUT i love the freedom and flexibility and the money aint bad once uv got the custys!theres the problem!getting good well paying compact custys!! :-\ :-\ ;D ;D

best wishes and good luck
dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 08:28:11 pm »
Tom I see you work in retail, that's what I was desperate to get out off, what company you working for ?

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 08:29:50 pm »
I did it too....

No work, turned down for a interview at maccys and owing my mother in law £1000 tried for a month to get a job but couldnt get anything

Im just going into my 9th month with 280 regular customers and i get plenty of one off jobs. I work a 4 day week, earn more than any other job i have done, pick my days off, take my kids to school every day.

It can be done, i covered the bills money from day one, though it was tight in the begining

Knock, knock, leaflet, leaflet, knock, knock - keep at it and do a good job
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

tom2009

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 08:41:08 pm »
Tom I see you work in retail, that's what I was desperate to get out off, what company you working for ?
a national furniture retailer that advertises a lot on telly. nuff said. Retail does my nut in. All the replies on here are really encouraging. I really don't look at it with the easy money glasses on, its just the freedom to be independent, physical work, being outside, not working for tossers, and the chance long term to build something to be proud of. How about you Murdie? ps. if i'm sick now I don't get paid.

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 08:56:56 pm »
a national furniture retailer that advertises a lot on telly. nuff said. Retail does my nut in. All the replies on here are really encouraging. I really don't look at it with the easy money glasses on, its just the freedom to be independent, physical work, being outside, not working for tossers, and the chance long term to build something to be proud of. How about you Murdie? ps. if i'm sick now I don't get paid.

I worked as a store manager for Sports Direct, I loved it at first but since the start of this year I was realy pee'd off with what they were expecting from me for no extra money also no company sick pay scheme, unpayed over time