This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rcs

building up the business for scratch
« on: November 30, 2009, 04:27:02 pm »
hi were recently started a new wc business using traditional methods
all our work is currently at ground  level ie bungelows and 2 storey work
including consevatories which we use ladders for
some windows were are having trouble reaching also have has a few inquiries from a few blocks of 3 storey flats and houses in really tight areas ie hard to reach

we need a water fed pole system of some sort
thinking  backback
have not really got the cash to spend on a van mounted set up at the moment or even a trolley

do you think a backpack will do the trick

where can we get a full set up inc pole hoses backpack etc 
also the cheapest place to buy the necessary equipment to produce a small amount of pure water

thanks

bad trippy

Re: building up the business for scratch
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 04:30:47 pm »
Are you in hard or soft water area?
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 04:32:06 pm »
where you live?
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'

Rcs

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:40:58 pm »
west sussex hard
i see theres a merlin for sale not far from me but will it be suitable
the pressure aint great round here

bad trippy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:48:23 pm »
Unless the water pressure is really poor, and by that i mean flowing water is almost non exsitent then the marlin should cater for your needs at this time until you can afford more better kit
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

GWCS

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:50:22 pm »
west sussex hard
merlins need at least 60psi (dependant on temperature - check their website for full spec) - if you dont have that you will need a heavy duty booster pump. approx £150-200

otherwise your better off wiith a RO man type 200/300 gpd ro system.

jonnyald

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:58:21 pm »
i would just buy a couple of different trad poles and a fishing pole , plus a couple of different wagtails .if you look on youtube MyWagga ,he shows you how to get at  the hard to get windows and still stay trad

i only do houses ,but a few are 3 storey and ive had no problem doing these with a fishing pole+wagtail .

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 05:00:21 pm »
Going wfp looks a costly exercise, I'm looking at possibly getting a trolley set up but to get set up from scratch looks like I would need to spend the thick end of 1k, and I need to be confident that it will make me money in the long run.

I was thinking I'd be able to take on higher windows, awkward to reach windows ect.

colley614

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:08:13 pm »
Keep your eye out on the forums and ebay for a cheap second hand van with system fitted. You can get some bargains. Trust me!

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 10:45:55 pm »
ive use trad poles for years on awkward/dangerous off a ladder windows.no problems.takes a bit of getting use to.im quite fast now!WFP is not the only option.i just pop my normal T MOP on a pole,soap up then put my swivelock squeegy on then detail with a dry microfibre in a fixiclamp.simple and effective!and no trailing hoses!! ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

chopsie

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »
dazmond,I hink your talking yourself out of getting a WFP set up with every post  ;D  seriously,what is your reason for considering WFP,as you seem to be doing v.well trad
chopsie

Lee Pryor

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:00 pm »
rcs where abouts in west sussex are you?
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Rcs

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:03 pm »
littlehampton

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 11:14:53 pm »
i think what it is chopsie is that ive never tried it and all these guys on here cant be wrong!im thinking a wfp would be a lot quicker for some of the bigger houses ive got on my books esp georgian/leaded.also   u can clean the frames everytime and i bet its quicker than using trad poles.extras like conny roofs,fascias,gutters also easier and safer.still on the fence though!!again!! :-\ :-\ ::) ::) :P ;) :) :D
price higher/work harder!

Lee Pryor

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 11:16:31 pm »
never mind i had an idear but your not close enough to me to make it work. anyway, best advice is cary on as you are, save up, get a proper van mount system, ive always believed that doing things by halves is just a waste of good money, when your round is full and you are out every day, it will be easy to pay for the right kit. a full van mount can be bought for as little as £1000
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

mark dew

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 11:23:15 pm »
rcs the window cleaning warehouse backpack will be fine.
Any ro that produces 100 gallons per day or more with a booster pump, a rain water butt, water containers, your backpack + plus pole and you are away.  
The pole would be your most expensive single item. A 25ft pole would cover most domestic work.

chopsie

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 11:26:53 pm »
I hear what your saying dazmond,I have only just started out and have just bought a van today and been buying poles and RO etc for last few weeks,I have already got a backpack which is very good,I am loads quicker using that than trad,plus I don't want to use ladders and end up regretting it!! I will still do some trad I think as I would love to be really good and quick at it,I bet you and a lot of others on here could easily beat a lot of WFpolers.
chopsie

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 09:54:43 am »
west sussex hard
merlins need at least 60psi (dependant on temperature - check their website for full spec) - if you dont have that you will need a heavy duty booster pump. approx £150-200

I do get by on 32 - 40 PSI with my Merlin.  Obviously it doesn't run at optimum but I find it sufficient for a sole trader (produces around 30+ litres an hour most of the time).  Not the cleanest of ROs.  Even with fairly new membranes TDS can be above 010 but a bit of resin soon cures that.
It's not ideal but is certainly workable - even without a booster pump.

MSTAV

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 02:07:01 pm »
west sussex hard

I do get by on 32 - 40 PSI with my Merlin.  Obviously it doesn't run at optimum but I find it sufficient for a sole trader (produces around 30+ litres an hour most of the time).  Not the cleanest of ROs.  Even with fairly new membranes TDS can be above 010 but a bit of resin soon cures that.
yea same here mines at just under 40 psi.tds is always around 40 before resin.still i get a good 6 months out a sack so not too bad

mark dew

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 10:25:00 pm »
west sussex hard

yea same here mines at just under 40 psi.tds is always around 40 before resin.still i get a good 6 months out a sack so not too bad

I've had a 300gpd ro with booster pump for 3 1/2 years. tds is 480. I have replaced the filters once. And am still on the same 25 litre sack of resin.
The booster pump is the key to how efficient this has been.
I am not on a water meter either so i flush very well and often.