Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

garyj

Re: I think I did the right thing?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2005, 05:08:06 pm »
Of course I do, don't we all. But that doesn't mean I'd walk away from a job like this. Being new to the industry isn't an excuse either. If you put yourself out there as a professional then you can either do the job or you can't.

As a carpet cleaner isn't your job to clean carpets, whatever they may have on them to the best of your ability? Do other professions such as nurses and firemen take their pick as to what jobs they fancy doing?? ( perhaps an unfair comparison, but you get the idea).

Thanks for offering me the work. If I was closer I would do it. But surely there is a professional carpet cleaner in the area who is actually capable of doing it.

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2005, 06:00:18 pm »
i must say gary i totally agree with you. if you want to pick and choose this is not the job for you. i work on a lot of filthy carpets and suites. i cringe when i see them. but that is sometimes the way people live and i dont make a judgement. as far as picking and being new benny , if you are trained get used to it they are like that sometimes. it might as well be your first job as your 50th take care ron
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

Derek_Walker

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2005, 10:40:45 pm »
Not allowed to pick & choose your jobs

If I was an employee paid to do a job fair enough. The whole point of being in business is that you are your own boss, working for youself. Which means that you make your own choices, which means (surprise surprise) yes you can pick & choose whatever jobs you want to do.
Nurses & Firemen are paid employees. Accident claim solicitors pick & choose which clients they want based on the rate of success they will achieve.
Benny made a choice based on his experience so far, which he is allowed to do.
Under the circumstances he may have been right. The visual aspect of the finished clean would be meaningless compared to the health & safety issues involved in not killing all the bacteria. Spraying a bit of deodoriser & antibac does not constitute a thorough clean. What about the backing? what about the underlay? what about the floor underneath that? what about the clients well being? what about the risk assessment? what about all the people who have gone in before seeing the situation get worse & worse and not doing anything about it until it's maybe too late.
But I suppose he could have taken the money after all and there is always the added benefit of selling the antibac & deodoriser.