Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

macmac

Re: insuring modyfied vans
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2009, 11:48:15 pm »
macmac,what van do you have and whats your premiums?what you say makes perfect sense,how do you fix your tank down?

Kangoo 665D, £230 fully comp inc' protected no claims, legal protection & a reduced £150 excess. I have steel brackets screwed to the ply floor just to prevent any day to day movement (& it works) then strapped to factory anchor points.

I've never crashed, only hit the brakes very hard a time or two & tank has never budged.

A balance between safety & reality.

Think of seat belts, even child seat belts. What are they made from? What are they anchored to?

matt

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2009, 11:53:31 pm »
£3700 for a fookin 15 yr old nail, thats way overpriced , that is   about £3k over the odds !

that nail is german and german nails last

chopsie

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2009, 11:57:11 pm »
I can't help but think the factory fitted brackets should be pretty strong in a van,as they are designed to lash down heavy loads,I will have a good look and a test when i get the van.Like you say,Vans carry all sorts of heavy loads around,thats what they are designed for,I was in one last week with a ton of sand,half a dozen bags of cement,a cement mixer and loads of tools,none secured down,only a bulk head for protection,Insurance companies do not ask any questions about this!! The van I am potentially buying was used by Hotpoint to carry washing machines etc around,Now they must weigh a fair bit,and I bet they were not tied down!!
chopsie

Ste M

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2009, 12:09:31 am »
£3700 for a fookin 15 yr old nail, thats way overpriced , that is   about £3k over the odds !

Its a vw! Not a ford or vauxhall that shall be rotten and/or ruined after a 100,000.

sorry i have to partly disagree with your statement above, i have just bought a 150k transit and it was a much better vehicle than the 100k sprinter that i originally went to see, also you see more old transits on the road than any other vehicle, they are not the best selling van for the simple reason that they are cheaper. its because they are a bloody good workhorse.

Not having a go im just putting my opinion across. :)

matt

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2009, 08:49:41 am »

Its a vw! Not a ford or vauxhall that shall be rotten and/or ruined after a 100,000.

sorry i have to partly disagree with your statement above, i have just bought a 150k transit and it was a much better vehicle than the 100k sprinter that i originally went to see, also you see more old transits on the road than any other vehicle, they are not the best selling van for the simple reason that they are cheaper. its because they are a bloody good workhorse.

they are a good work horse, though the bodywork does get rusty quickly

the spinter was dogged with rust issues ( rear tail gate bottom ) and sliding doors bottom, though having said that, the VW T4 suffers from rust on the wheel arch

jonnyald

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2009, 09:07:41 am »
iv not seen a sprinter with a tailgate, maybe you mean a vito ? vitos are pants ,but sprinters are the very best ,but way tooo big for windowcleaning , i had a ride in a sprintr 313  and it was like a rocket ship   and as big as aircraft carrier inside

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2009, 09:14:23 am »

And I hope it stays that way. I don't want any of you guys to be the first!!!

Is it true though,.. are there any official figures on death/injury caused by unsecured loads?

Just a quick google, mind he only pulled up to a roundabout. It's a bit more then what we carry (lol) but you get the point.

HGV driver killed by load punching through cab

http://www.healthandsafetyprofessional.co.uk/file/da1e4c217af84c2d22158925a2e7a678/hgv-driver-killed-by-load-punching-through-cab.html

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2009, 09:28:40 am »
Steel bulkhead? What steel bulkhead :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9EMHhZ_Ww&feature=related

And that's nothing compared to what we are carrying lol.

I'd really like to see a 650l tank strapped in footage compared to a DIY bolt/plate fit setup.

Think of seat belts, even child seat belts. What are they made from? What are they anchored to?

Do your children weigh 400 to 1000Kg then?  :D

ftp

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2009, 02:01:36 pm »
Mind you, when you watch the vw van crash, straps, bolts or cages wouldn't make a big difference there  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukq-UUQAcZs&feature=related

macmac

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2009, 07:28:41 pm »

I'd really like to see a 650l tank strapped in footage compared to a DIY bolt/plate fit setup.

My mate weighs 400kg!! ;D I'm making the point that some people think ratchet straps arn't up to the job. We used to crane bundles of 4" dia' solid steel bars with fabric loops.

matt

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2009, 08:30:38 pm »
iv not seen a sprinter with a tailgate, maybe you mean a vito ? vitos are pants ,but sprinters are the very best ,but way tooo big for windowcleaning , i had a ride in a sprintr 313  and it was like a rocket ship   and as big as aircraft carrier inside

indeed i did, the Vito

sorry, my mistake

chopsie

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2009, 08:34:44 pm »
All sorted,got the Transit van £5000,ordered the seats to be fitted properly £702(double seat),fetched the 400 litre tank and cage £100 second hand,got insurance for van with seat modification and tank fitted,£563.99(commercial vehicle direct)which includes rac breakdown cover with homestart and loss of keys insurance.Just need to get some protecta kote (cheapest suppliers please!)and order my pump box and microbore on a reel  :)
chopsie

tacky

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2009, 08:44:06 pm »
sorry i didnt get back to u . only now come on line . my seats were allready in van when i bought it .they were factory fitted

chopsie

« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2009, 08:46:42 pm »
no problem tacky.they would of been easier to get insurance for then.
chopsie

krave

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2009, 08:48:04 pm »

they are a good work horse, though the bodywork does get rusty quickly

the spinter was dogged with rust issues ( rear tail gate bottom ) and sliding doors bottom, though having said that, the VW T4 suffers from rust on the wheel arch

Exactly, I completely understand about them going strong. But to find one with high  miles that isnt rotten is very very hard, Unless there miles have been done recently.

Even then, I have seen 53 plaste trannys rotting, my mates is.

Just saying vw have a name for a reason. And hold thier value for the same reason.

Not meaning to put your van down in any way bud. I love transits, and the fact they keep going, but they do rot alot.

matt

« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2009, 11:35:42 pm »
chopsie

a little advice

i see you have purchased some "protectacote ", great stuff

what i would do now is this

it will be great in your van

get some fibreglass matting and paste

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300gsm-25m-x-1m-Fibreglass-Chopped-Strand-Mat-CSM-GRP_W0QQitemZ220488914488QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=item335629d638

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Freefix-6470-W-1-Bonding-Paste-for-Composites-GRP-7Kg_W0QQitemZ220501417709QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=item3356e89eed

this will be enough to form and make a fibre glass "tray" to sit behind your seats, then any water will just gather in that, have a upstand of 2"'s and it will save water running under your seats and in the back of your van

yes it will cost you 70 quid, but it will improve your van alot

chopsie

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2009, 11:43:10 pm »
I know nothing bout this stuff matt,I take it its in a roll or something,How can i create the upstand? I take it you mean put a lip(upstand) just behind the seats(not all the way round) and thats it,so water does'nt go into the front?
chopsie

matt

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2009, 11:47:56 pm »
I know nothing bout this stuff matt,I take it its in a roll or something,How can i create the upstand? I take it you mean put a lip(upstand) just behind the seats(not all the way round) and thats it,so water does'nt go into the front?

its fairly easy to do

cut the matting to size, and paint the paste on, then cut some more matting and stick it to that, then repeat till its fairly thick ( a few mm ), yes just create a lip ( upstand ) , personally i would do it all the way around, so the water just stays in the "tray" , if you do it whilst it in the van, it will be really tight to the sides of the van, then just get some "silacone sealant" and seal the top of the tray so water doesnt get down the sides

job done, a area behind the seats that are water tight and any split water will just gather on the tray

chopsie

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2009, 11:52:12 pm »
I might just look into doing that matt when i have had the seats fitted.thanks
chopsie

krave

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2009, 12:01:15 am »

My mate weighs 400kg!! ;D I'm making the point that some people think ratchet straps arn't up to the job. We used to crane bundles of 4" dia' solid steel bars with fabric loops.

I once had three hundred kilo of weight on one seatbelt. I with a lighter burnt the seatbelt to make the weight drop into place, I got scared and jumped out the way pulling the lighter away with me. The weight was hanging by 1/8th of the seatbelt. No lie, I was absolutely amazed at how strong they really are!

Also used them for towing old jeeps out of fields that weight almost 2tonne!!