Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chopsie

insuring modyfied vans
« on: November 28, 2009, 12:19:13 pm »
I am considering buying a van,probably a transit,I need to put seats in the back so i can pick kids up when necessary.I have tried A-plan for a quote and they won't quote because of seat conversion,has anyone got insurance for this?and if so where from and how much? I would consider a vauxhall combo crew cab van,Has anyone got one of these,are they any good?Will they fit a lay flat 400 litre tank in the back? Also,if i just ratchett strap the tank down i believe this does not class as a modification,is this right  ???
chopsie

Nathanael Jones

Re: insuring modyfied vans
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:28:50 pm »
Also,if i just ratchett strap the tank down i believe this does not class as a modification,is this right  ???
Not  a modification,.. death trap, but not a modification!
You'd seriously take the chance with your kids sitting in front of it???
Do the job right,.. If you don't want the full cage, 20 tonne straps will do but you'll still need to modify the van by adding  hooks secured to the chassis.

chopsie

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »
I thought i would empty the water out when i picked up kids,are the factory fitted tie downs eyes not strong enough then?
chopsie

GWCS

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 12:44:11 pm »
I thought i would empty the water out when i picked up kids,are the factory fitted tie downs eyes not strong enough then?

Give it time it will come to a point you cant be bothered, have other things to do..

you need special eye bolts that are fixed through or around the chassis - which will be a modification - the eyebolts on vans are nothing much than a cheap screw with an excuse of an ring on the end of it. If you trust that with yourself in the front and a full frontal impact at 30mph with only half a tank of water - you wont have much of a life left..

still - up to you what you do. Dont let anyone else tell you how to live your own life.

To do the job properly it costs money. I was actually refused cover for a 250L water tank being strapped in because of it being a high risk.. I guess it depends on who you go with insurance wise, and weather you tell them the full honest truth of what and how your doing. Only when you actually need the insurance cover you will discover the full horror of what and isn't covered!

Dont listen to brokers they are there to sell regardless of what you tell them.. check and double check the policy and all endorsements - if its doesn't say its covered, then its not covered.

matt

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 12:45:17 pm »
Also,if i just ratchett strap the tank down i believe this does not class as a modification,is this right  ???
Not  a modification,.. death trap, but not a modification!
You'd seriously take the chance with your kids sitting in front of it???
Do the job right,.. If you don't want the full cage, 20 tonne straps will do but you'll still need to modify the van by adding  hooks secured to the chassis.

thats well over the top nat

5 tonne ratchet straps fitted to 12.9 rated bolts with spreader plates are more than ample

a cage bolted down to the chassis work, but i wonder how many have them bolted down with 8.8 rated bolts ( i will answer that, loads )

matt

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 12:50:22 pm »

no, they are not

in another post i posted a link to the Tie down plates needed ( they are massive chunky things that they weld / bold down on lorries )

add to that the 12.9 rated bolts with nice big and thick spreader plates

matt

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 12:51:31 pm »
for the record

insurance companies are all going to try and wriggle out of paying, its what they do

chopsie

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 01:09:41 pm »
cheers matt,yeh i know you sent me the link the other day,i was just wondering what others did,I suppose i was trying to cut corners!! the price of vans is more than i was hoping,have put a deposit down (£50) on a 55 plate transit with only 68000 on the clock.Its 5 grand but thought it was not a bad price,but the more i look into it its going to cost me loads extra in insurance (fitting seats) and also the fitting of seats,roof rack,protekacoat,He is giving me two single front passenger seats out of ex BT vans,was hoping they would go in the back ok,trouble is I am stretching myself on the 5000 on the van so with all these extras(still need a pump box and a microbore reel) I am considering not buying it and just getting an old high milage nail for couple of grand,or maybe a vauxhall combo type thing for similar money with factory fitted seats in,Just wonder if 400 litre tank would fit in behind seats ok,and would i regret not getting a bigger van  ???
chopsie

matt

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »
cheers matt,yeh i know you sent me the link the other day,i was just wondering what others did,I suppose i was trying to cut corners!! the price of vans is more than i was hoping,have put a deposi down (£50) on a 55 plate transit with only 68000 on the clock.Its 5 grand but thought it was not a bad price,but the more i look into it its going to cost me loads extra in insurance (fitting seats) and also the fitting of seats,roof rack,protekacoat,He is giving me two single front passenger seats out of ex BT vans,was hoping they would go in the back ok,trouble is I am stretching myself on the 5000 on the van so with all these extras(still need a pump box and a microbore reel) I am considering not buying it and just getting an old high milage nail for couple of grand,or maybe a vauxhall combo type thing for similar money with factory fitted seats in,Just wonder i 400 litre tank would fit in behind seats ok,and would i regret not getting a bigger van  ???

have you considered a older VW T4 ( ex aa vans have the middle row of seats , you can get 5 in them ( 3 up front and 2 behind ) they will be easier to insure

failing that a T4 caravelle as they will seat 8 people, remove the rear seats and fit the tank ( thus will seat 5 ( 6 if you change the front passenger seat for a doubler ) )

a 400 L tank will fit behind that row of seats

i dont know much about the transits, though i do know they do a set of seats that are "crew cab style " and sit behind the front row and they will just fit in the bolt holes in the floor

chopsie

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 01:22:59 pm »
will look for the t4,would love a VW but jesus they hold their money
chopsie

matt

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 01:32:49 pm »
how many children do you have ? ? ? 

how many need to fit in your van ? ? ?  ?

as many vans will seat 3 up front as standard

chopsie

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 01:44:15 pm »
I have got 3,had twin boys,two in one hit!!!could do with 5 seats so can take mrs out in style!!!
chopsie

matt

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 02:09:19 pm »
I have got 3,had twin boys,two in one hit!!!could do with 5 seats so can take mrs out in style!!!

ax AA T4's would suit you just right

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 02:45:35 pm »

5 tonne ratchet straps fitted to 12.9 rated bolts with spreader plates are more than ample

a cage bolted down to the chassis work, but i wonder how many have them bolted down with 8.8 rated bolts ( i will answer that, loads )

The average 30mph impact produces 50G's

400 litres = 400kg

400kg x 50 = 20 tonnes,.....

I didn't just pull the number out of the air!!!

If you plan to crash at any higher speed than 30 mph you should consider 2 or 3 straps just to be sure.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 03:18:05 pm »
I have a pegeout expert with a 400L tank and extra seats fitted in the back for my kiddys. Not sure what company, but can find out.

Email me if you want to know more... Email is in my profile
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

matt

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 03:51:40 pm »

400 litres = 400kg

If you plan to crash at any higher speed than 30 mph you should consider 2 or 3 straps just to be sure.

but you wouldnt even try and fit a tank with just one ratchet strap would you, as it just wouldnt work

1 strap for the front 2 points

1 strap for the rear 2 points

1 strap from front to rear going though the baffles in a X pattern

john tomkins

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 03:52:04 pm »

400 litres = 400kg

Interesting figures....
How many window cleaners have lost their life due to being crushed by their tank full of water?

I'll pluck a figure out of the air.... 0

p1w1

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 03:56:14 pm »

Interesting figures....
How many window cleaners have lost their life due to being crushed by their tank full of water?

glad i'm not the only one on this forum who comes out with stupid comments lol  ;D

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 04:02:05 pm »

Interesting figures....

And I hope it stays that way. I don't want any of you guys to be the first!!!

Is it true though,.. are there any official figures on death/injury caused by unsecured loads?

Mike_G

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 04:03:29 pm »
Cant see a 400 litre flat or otherwise tank fitting in a crew cab combo anyway, a 400 litre flat would just about fit in a combo without rear seats fitted. as for the fatory anchor points a good set of ratchet straps fitted tight ( which is what they need to be) would rip off the anchor points very easily whilst just fitting the tank God knows what they would protect on impact very little I suspect.