This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Window Washers

Re: insuring modyfied vans
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 05:42:33 pm »
i have peugoet xpert 04 .6seats these were put in by peugoet .insrance is £280 full comp .at moment im using barrels .but room in back for tank 41 inches long 44 inches wide . rac .insurance company .
did you meantion that you had a tank of water in the back ? I am guessing you didnt , I have 7 years no claims I have 3 seats in vans and pay double that, I have disclosed that takes are fitted to van because they are. I would be shocked as anything if you have your fitted correctly and have been up front to insurance company at the price you just quoted, I am defo open to say sorry on this one if I am wrong..because I pay double and do not have 6 seats classed as a taxi!
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

luther1

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2009, 06:46:49 pm »
Wouldn't 6 seats be classed as a crew van? I have a vw transporter and the bolt holes for the seats are clearly visible in the back,as they were in my Renault Trafic (and most vans?). Why not fit seats yourself and if the insurance company need proof then send them a photo.I can't see the point in taking it to a garage for them to bolt some seats down in the required holes when its nothing more than common sense. (imo).

luther1

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 06:55:26 pm »
Having said that,i hadn't read what Matt and Windowwashers had said,so please ignore my previous yarn! :)

matt

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 07:44:24 pm »
Wouldn't 6 seats be classed as a crew van? I have a vw transporter and the bolt holes for the seats are clearly visible in the back,as they were in my Renault Trafic (and most vans?). Why not fit seats yourself and if the insurance company need proof then send them a photo.I can't see the point in taking it to a garage for them to bolt some seats down in the required holes when its nothing more than common sense. (imo).

your 100 % right, the holes are in the floor pan and ready, pop along to a VW stealership and buy the bolts ( official VAG bolts ) and bolt them in, now most insurance companied will be happy with this, you migth need a letter from the stealership top say its fitted correctly ( might cost you a inspection / admin fee )
on the other hand, some insurance companies will insist on having a coach builder inspect it

Having said that,i hadn't read what Matt and Windowwashers had said,so please ignore my previous yarn! :)

no need to ignore it, your right to a degree

as i said, look for a Ex AA T4 or a T4 caravelle that will have the middle seats in and the rear seats will be easy to remove

chopsie

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2009, 08:51:35 pm »
This is all getting very complicated!! There are thousands of vans out there with seats in the back,My old company used to have all trannies with seats bolted in the back after they bought the vans.Surley it cant be that difficult?Also,moving a bulk head should not be a problem,they are regularly bought as a retro fit,I admit the seat might cause a few headaches,but the bulk head can be added/removed with no probs i am sure,alot are only tek screwed in.Have been looking at VW t4 or caravelle,They go for way too much money for the year/milage they are,It would be cheaper in the long run to buy another van and get the seats fitted properly by an approved fitter  ???
chopsie

tacky

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2009, 10:01:21 pm »
i have barrels in back . not tank . the measure ments i give were if u
wanted to fit a tank . my insurance is for work n play .i have 6 seats as we have 4 grand children .which is all disclosed to insurance company .rac .£280

chopsie

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2009, 10:18:36 pm »
Tacky,how much did it cost for your seats (bought and fitted) in your van by peugot?
chopsie

matt

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2009, 10:36:27 pm »
This is all getting very complicated!! There are thousands of vans out there with seats in the back,My old company used to have all trannies with seats bolted in the back after they bought the vans.Surley it cant be that difficult?Also,moving a bulk head should not be a problem,they are regularly bought as a retro fit,I admit the seat might cause a few headaches,but the bulk head can be added/removed with no probs i am sure,alot are only tek screwed in.Have been looking at VW t4 or caravelle,They go for way too much money for the year/milage they are,It would be cheaper in the long run to buy another van and get the seats fitted properly by an approved fitter  ???

the thing with the VW caravelle's are normally well looked after, i have seen them M and N reg and the insides look really nice, they are either personal minibus's for BIG families, or they are owned by people who have wheel chair bound family members

look at this 1 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-VOLKSWAGEN-CARAVELLE-SWB-RED_W0QQitemZ270485027266QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item3efa29f9c2

only covered 94,000 miles with full service history, cambelt changed at 85,000 miles

advertised £3,795.00 but it has best offer, offer 3,200 or 3,300 and see what they say

leave the middle seats in and you can seat 5 in the van easy, i bet them wheel chair points will be well fitted for a tank behind the seats, then if you need to seat more, take out the tank and pop in the other seat

chopsie

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2009, 10:52:49 pm »
Thanks matt,this does look a good vehicle,BUT its 15 years old  for anything up to £3795.I just think its crazy for a vehicle of that age,I am going to have a ring round in the morning to see how much/if i can get cover for fitted seats in this tranny,then go from there,I think i will go down your eyehole/ratchett strap route for the tank as I potentialy have other jobs i can do with the van where it would be good to easily remove the tank.
chopsie

matt

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2009, 10:57:12 pm »
Thanks matt,this does look a good vehicle,BUT its 15 years old  for anything up to £3795.I just think its crazy for a vehicle of that age,I am going to have a ring round in the morning to see how much/if i can get cover for fitted seats in this tranny,then go from there,I think i will go down your eyehole/ratchett strap route for the tank as I potentialy have other jobs i can do with the van where it would be good to easily remove the tank.

your right, but its £3795 ( i bet they would accept 3200 for it ) for a reason, its a VW, yes its 15 years old, but its only done  94,000 miles with full service history, its allmost brand new ( i have seen T4's with 400,000 on the clock ) , as you said they hold value very well

pop into FORD and ask how much to fit a middle seat with the doc's for insurance, you might be surprised

chopsie

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2009, 11:02:51 pm »
pleasantly surprised?
chopsie

matt

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2009, 11:12:43 pm »
pleasantly surprised?

;D ;D ;D

when they ask you to sit down, you will know ;)

chopsie

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:55 pm »
well don't you think these will do the job,they are fitted for less tan £900,I thought that was very good and would come with a certificate. http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Jubilee-Automotive-Group__W0QQ_sidZ130344951?_nkw=seats&submit=Search   I would not go to a main dealer for anything!!!
chopsie

matt

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »
well don't you think these will do the job,they are fitted for less tan £900,I thought that was very good and would come with a certificate. http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Jubilee-Automotive-Group__W0QQ_sidZ130344951?_nkw=seats&submit=Search   I would not go to a main dealer for anything!!!

very nice indeed

just what you want, seriously what you want

not a bad price either

chopsie

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2009, 11:26:43 pm »
yeh I thought would be ideal,have quick release so can remove them for other jobs easily,Just need to find an insurer now,am sure there will be one out there,will find out tomorrow.
chopsie

jonnyald

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2009, 11:28:23 pm »
£3700 for a fookin 15 yr old nail, thats way overpriced , that is   about £3k over the odds !

macmac

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2009, 11:31:41 pm »
I still don't understand why an insurance company wants to know what you carry in your van ??? ???

Mine has never asked, nor is it in any small print.

I carry a 400ltr tank, strapped down, in my van. Yes a van which, by it's very nature is designed to carry heavy loads.

Does a plasterer have to tell his insurance company that he'll be carrying bags of plaster from B&Q every other day? Think not!

I think some just like to give 'em an excuse to be charged more! ;D ;D

krave

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2009, 11:34:29 pm »
£3700 for a fookin 15 yr old nail, thats way overpriced , that is   about £3k over the odds !

Its a vw! Not a ford or vauxhall that shall be rotten and/or ruined after a 100,000.

chopsie

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2009, 11:36:05 pm »
Thats what I thought,But VW really hold their money,I would love to be able to afford a newish low milage VW transporter  it would last forever.Just look at a 15 year old tranny,How many do you see in as good a condition as that? I am a big VW fan,but just can't justify paying that money out for that age of vehicle,It would make more sense to buy a 2 year old one with lowish miles,saw a load at auctions for around 8 grand,
chopsie

chopsie

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2009, 11:38:31 pm »
macmac,what van do you have and whats your premiums?what you say makes perfect sense,how do you fix your tank down?
chopsie