This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john tomkins

Re: insuring modyfied vans
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 04:10:40 pm »
glad i'm not the only one on this forum who comes out with stupid comments lol  ;D

Oi ;)
It's just that I'm sick of hearing the "if you crash at 30mph with your 400 ltr tank full of water, ratched strapped down you'll be killed"  ::)

Whats the odds of all the above happening first thing in the morning and a head on crash, I'd like to think folks would not be driving with a full load recklessley.
Wait till you are going home empty and you'll be fine ;D

matt

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »
i wonder how many people are driving around with cages around the tank fitted with a few 8.8 rated bolts ? ? ? ? thinking " its ok, i have a cage around my tank "

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 04:14:32 pm »
i wonder how many people are driving around with cages around the tank fitted with a few 8.8 rated bolts ? ? ? ? thinking " its ok, i have a cage around my tank "

Probably quite a high percentage of ppl.

I have a cage around my tank secured to the chassis in my current van. In my next van I'll be using 20 tonne straps because its easier to correctly fit an anchor point to the chassis than it is to fit a cage mounting. I want to make the system pretty much idiot proof,.. show ppl it can be easy to safely fit a tank.

matt

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 04:23:20 pm »
glad i'm not the only one on this forum who comes out with stupid comments lol  ;D

Oi ;)
It's just that I'm sick of hearing the "if you crash at 30mph with your 400 ltr tank full of water, ratched strapped down you'll be killed"  ::)

Whats the odds of all the above happening first thing in the morning and a head on crash, I'd like to think folks would not be driving with a full load recklessley.

i allways think of the number of builders on the road with a van full of stuff like a cement mixer, pallet of bags of plaster, hammers , saws and a gas bottle

nothing is secured down

i used to drive a astravan and have all my kit in the back, ranging from 3 tools box's full of stuff, a circular saw, a chop saw, a router, a big drill, a box with cordless drill in it, a box full of screws which must have weighed over 10 Kg
a 11 kg gas bottle with blow torch

the van didnt even have a bulkhead  :o :o makes you think now

p1w1

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 04:26:25 pm »

Oi ;)

I hear what your saying but i suppose it only has to happen the once.. my tank is not properly fitted i know but i will be getting it done properly in my new one next year ... what with all these women drivers in their husbands 4x4s  ;D oh boy ive gone and done it now..

john tomkins

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 04:40:31 pm »
I have a cage around my tank secured to the chassis in my current van. In my next van I'll be using 20 tonne straps because its easier to correctly fit an anchor point to the chassis than it is to fit a cage mounting. I want to make the system pretty much idiot proof,.. show ppl it can be easy to safely fit a tank.

Nathanael,
do you have any info from van manufacturers/insurers as to the validity of drilling holes through, and potentially weakening the chassis itself, as its the main strength/structure of the van and someone is drilling numerous holes through it, maybe borderline ok on a new van but potentially haxardous on an old rusted one?
Obviously this wont be looked into unless an accident occurs and insurers etc are involved.

Window Washers

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 05:04:06 pm »
Crew cab sounds ideal for you, I would not want my kids sat with my tank in the back of a van as there is poles hoses and loads of of bits.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

chopsie

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 05:12:32 pm »
I was going to move the bulk head from behind front seats to behind back seats,so essentially creating a crew cab and keeping all poles,tank,tools etc away from everyone.
chopsie

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 05:26:06 pm »

Nathanael,
do you have any info from van manufacturers/insurers as to the validity of drilling holes through, and potentially weakening the chassis itself, as its the main strength/structure of the van and someone is drilling numerous holes through it, maybe borderline ok on a new van but potentially haxardous on an old rusted one?
Obviously this wont be looked into unless an accident occurs and insurers etc are involved.

Never  drill through the chassis unless you really know what you're doing. A system that clamps around the chassis member would be much more preferable.

matt

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 11:26:33 pm »
most chassis have holes in them, they are so any water drains away and doesnt rot inside the section

so you have no need to drill though the chassis, just the floor pan

chopsie

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 12:26:01 am »
well been talking it over with the other half,and am going with the transit I have put deposit down on,the tank i have bought second hand comes with a cage and i will fix properly through chassis with the bolts matt suggests.The seats are another problem,can i fix them myself,If so how,and do they need testing?or shall i just go and get a set fitted somewhere(preferably midlands,closer to Derby the better) any suggestions? I have seen these,what do you think http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Jubilee-Automotive-Group__W0QQ_sidZ130344951?_nkw=seats&submit=Search
any insurers you could recommend?
chopsie

chopsie

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 12:36:52 am »
hi george.Yeh pics with sizes would be great thanks,I should be getting van at some point next week,Its from Arnold,Is that anywhere near you?
chopsie

chopsie

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 12:44:29 am »
sounds good to me,will you send me address and post code with the pics please,then i can put it in sat nav when i fetch the van.also send me your mobile number please.
chopsie

chopsie

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 12:54:08 am »
cheers.I will be in touch
chopsie

ftp

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 08:07:23 am »
Matt, you got a link for the bolts?

Window Washers

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 09:54:24 am »
well been talking it over with the other half,and am going with the transit I have put deposit down on,the tank i have bought second hand comes with a cage and i will fix properly through chassis with the bolts matt suggests.The seats are another problem,can i fix them myself,If so how,and do they need testing?or shall i just go and get a set fitted somewhere(preferably midlands,closer to Derby the better) any suggestions? I have seen these,what do you think http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Jubilee-Automotive-Group__W0QQ_sidZ130344951?_nkw=seats&submit=Search
any insurers you could recommend?
I use commercial viechle direct (google it) to look for my insurances I think it is glenhiem , I would have the seats fitted by a garage or coachbuilder as when I wanted a seat fitted to a van I had, they asked for the proof of fitting.

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

chopsie

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 12:29:09 pm »
thanks Ian,I was sort of swinging towards getting them done properly,I got a mate who is a mechanic(not a good enough mate to give me mates rates though!),I might see what he thinks about fitting them.
chopsie

matt

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 04:12:29 pm »
the extra seats are a mine field, i know a few VW camper selfbuilders who could NEVER get insurance and that was on a VW T4 and the seats just bolt straight into hole that are factory fitted

Window Washers

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 04:32:45 pm »
the extra seats are a mine field, i know a few VW camper selfbuilders who could NEVER get insurance and that was on a VW T4 and the seats just bolt straight into hole that are factory fitted
From what I was told they have to go back to main dealer to be fitted, then not classed as a mod but adding seats to a non crew can and moving bulkhead is defo a mod and I would guess you will pay through the nose for it if you can find insrance with a tank benind, to many risks to them I would say for a normal enough premium

tacky

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 05:37:53 pm »
i have peugoet xpert 04 .6seats these were put in by peugoet .insrance is £280 full comp .at moment im using barrels .but room in back for tank 41 inches long 44 inches wide . rac .insurance company .