Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Re: 9 out of
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 04:20:25 pm »
Adrian, I've looked at my leaflet and can't see anything wrong with it, as you get a 1% return on your leafet could you post it on here so we can all learn from it.

or perhaps you could send me one,

if you get  such a good return you must only put out 1500 to keep busy all week.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 04:40:19 pm »
Adrian,

You say you bank on a 1% return on your leaflets  :o

Recently sent out 12 leaflets for ' an un-named allergy product' and have 6 jobs.................................50% I BELIEVE  ;D

KEEP UP THE HARD WORK

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 05:07:38 pm »
Ron,

I was under the impression that you did your jobs in the morning.

Regards

Ian

Adrian Makel

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2005, 05:13:40 pm »
to be honest i put out very few flyers,as i receive most of my work from letters sent out,people asking me back,and recommendations,but the times i have used them 1% is my realistic aim.barring a few,and they know who i mean,the sarcastic i`m better than you attitude seems to be the rule of thum.thought this was a site for us to exchange ideas and storys.When i say 1% return on flyers i mean 1% return on flyers.i don`t exagerate,and quite frankly i don`t care if you all earn 3 times more than me.I am a happy contented man,lovely wife,lovely kids,lovely family,and that is something no ammount of money can buy.

john rees

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2005, 07:11:13 pm »
to be honest I haven't done leaflets for years! about 6 years I think?but I do seem to have a surge in work when other cleaners leaflets are doing the rounds,it seems to remind my customers about having the carpets cleaned...so they ring me! ;D out of interest I just checked last weeks jobs and found out that 70% were previous customers 20% were recommendations from customers and 10% were new customers!so I would presume my customers are happy with my service even when they know they could get it cheaper elswhere,most people are not stupid and realise that they get what they are paying for!!!
                                                           John
john

Adrian Makel

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2005, 07:18:49 pm »
spot on mate,that is what i`m trying to say.there seems to a fascination with flyers.If we are all as good as we say we are flyers should pay a very small part.BUT I AM STILL INSISTING THAT 1% IS WHAT I EXPECT FROM A FLYER DROP. :'( :( ::) :) ;) :D ;D

simbo

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2005, 08:29:42 pm »
allthough my knowledge of carpet cleaning is limited, which is why i read these posts day in and day out, i see £40 an hour as a crazy amount of money to earn.
i would be happy and comfortable on half that unless i only worked 2 days a week.
slateing cheaper operatives of any industry implying all people who work for less will not do as good a job, is also incredibaly unfair, as we all have diferent motivations in life not just how much money we can ease out of somebody, perhaps thats just me?
 ;)   paul

john rees

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2005, 08:59:03 pm »
That's not what you would earn!you have your overheads too! e.g. £35000 for truckmounted carpet cleaning machine  van and equipment,£5000 for a reasonable yellow pages ad, fuel for van,fuel for truckmount,insurance, cleaning materials,telephones, wages,repairs,ongoing training,the list could go on and on.If we all worked out how much it cost an hour just to run the business properly before we started making any money!! most would decide to put prices up much more!!
                  john :o
john

simbo

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2005, 09:04:23 pm »
sorry based on a 40 hour average englishmans week i still can't see it!
ps what van and truckmount did you spend £35,000 on.
paul ;)

john rees

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2005, 09:20:55 pm »
I bought 2 transit lwb with a dual operator steamway 7200lx with rotovac and RX20 and a chemspec high heat in a lwb vwlt35 with a rotovac and rx20 plus 4 turbo dryers, 2 foggers, 2 prochem 4 jet wands, 2 prochem upholstery tools, 2 hydramaster drimaster upholstery tools, 2 stair tools 2 freshwater tanks, 2 hosereels,600 foot vac hose,600 foot of solution hose, 2 freshwater feed pumps, 2 sebo duo's 1 sebo dart,1 sebo bs36,and probably a lot more I can't remember off the top of my head,
                                   john
john

Doug Holloway

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2005, 10:21:17 pm »
Hi Guys,

1 % response to leaflets just does not happen once you go beyond , say 20,000.

I have probably been responsible for 4 million leaflets over the last 20 years, do you think i would have done this many at  1%.

Thats 40,000 jobs

Dream on

Cheers,

Doug

mark_roberts

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 10:28:49 pm »
Simbo

You will not clean carpet for 40 hours a week every week.  What about travel time, on the phone etc.  As John says we all have overheads no matter what size of business you have.  I think you need to do your sums again.

Mark

Adrian Makel

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2005, 07:23:05 am »
i think you will find 30-40 quid an hour is about average for one of us,it does sound a lot but as has allready been said take away overheads and becomes much less. ;D

williamx

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2005, 08:06:12 am »
The amount of money earned per hour is dictacted by what macinery you have, I have a Prochem Powermax - a Ashbys Steammate v2 Heat Exhanger  - a Victor Sprite 400 - and 50' of hoses, I earn  £50per hour and do not consider my prices are to high it just the speed that I can do a competant job, and which the customers are happy with.( I have a high return of customers).

I am looking to upgrade soon I will probable be buying an "Ecilpse", and although my customer prices won't change I will expect to clean more sq yardage of carpet per hour so my income will increase.

Matt Read

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2005, 09:13:16 am »
£40 -£50 per hour is onsite cleaning time,3 jobs in one day,poss an 8 hour day,maybe only 5 hours cleaning = £200 to £250.

if you're doing heavy leaflet drops after 5 years in business then your repeat business and referral's need some tlc ! much cheaper and easier to get work that way.
Matt

Musicman

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2005, 11:03:38 am »
In my experience (and this is not a knock at Ron) people who buy on price do so because they do not percieve any other benefit on offer from the service provider.

You have to admire Ron's courage in coming on here and putting the reason that 9 out of 10 of his customers choose him in the public domain.

If this was the reason for my customers choosing me I would be too embarrassed to state it on here.
Success is where hard work meets opportunity!