Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ftp

Rejection rates?
« on: November 18, 2009, 06:40:55 pm »
http://www.gapswater.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Reverse_osmosis_kits.html

What does it mean when you have a 98% rejection rate? Does it mean that 2% goes down the drain?

Window Washers

Re: Rejection rates?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:45:10 pm »

What does it mean when you have a 98% rejection rate? Does it mean that 2% goes down the drain?
rejects 98% of impurities, if only 2% went down the drain I would be calling them in the morning and buying another 2 4040's. sadly I will not be calling them as this is yet to be on the market
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

ftp

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:59:27 pm »
Bit miss-leading the way they advertise that. Surely all ro's would have a similar 98% rejection rate?

......... so which ro's have the lowest rejection in terms of waste water apart from fancy Ionics ones?

matt

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:02:57 pm »
you still worried about your new house and the water meter

its tax deductable you know ;)

ftp

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:25:35 pm »
 ;D Don't know yet. Me and the wife will have to shower at the Gym, kids will be washed at the public toilets.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:51:43 pm »
Bit miss-leading the way they advertise that. Surely all ro's would have a similar 98% rejection rate?

......... so which ro's have the lowest rejection in terms of waste water apart from fancy Ionics ones?

No.  Rejection rates can vary quite a bit.  Merlins aren't particularly clean ROs.  . especially one the membranes have been in a while.  Even with fairly new membranes I have a posat RO TDS of 016 compared to about 200 TDS from tap.  Also, the water pressure going into the RO can make quite a difference.  Local conditions such as tap TDS, water pressure into RO, the type of RO can all make a difference.  Also, sometimes an RO may be setup so that the ratios can be changed manually.  For instance, if someone needs a load of water in a hurry, they may have it set up to temporarily restrict the waste water.  This will give a higher TDS post RO but this may be the lesser evil if it's quantity that's needed.  Obviously it will probably need to go through some resin before use though.

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 09:30:21 am »

98% rejection rate. It means it rejects 98% of the water.
Don't sound right though. If 1000 litres of water is a quid on the meter, 1000litres of pure water would cost £50. :o

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:47:31 am »
you want to start rainwater harvesting ;)

cybersye

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 02:42:02 pm »

98% rejection rate. It means it rejects 98% of the water.
Don't sound right though. If 1000 litres of water is a quid on the meter, 1000litres of pure water would cost £50. :o
no its as window washers says, it rejects up to 98 % of the tds, not the water.
I have an hf5 4040 membrane from gaps, you can tweak the waste/pure ratio by means of a tap, have mine set up to produce about half as waste.
My supply tds is about 360 ppm and the product after ro is about 8-10 ppm, so not far off a 98 % rejection rate .
Used to a have a merlin and set up under same conditions, getting on for nearly 75 % water went to waste and had a product of 40 ppm ( 4 times that of the hf5 ) giving a rejection rate just less than 90 %.

cybersye

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 02:49:36 pm »

rejects 98% of impurities, if only 2% went down the drain I would be calling them in the morning and buying another 2 4040's. sadly I will not be calling them as this is yet to be on the market

Do you run 2 hf5 membranes window washers ?
If so is it twice as good as one ? I mean does it half the product tds  and the waste again and produce twice as much water ?

Being in a flat and on a meter, I may consider upgrading to 2 hf5's if this were the case.
Thanks
Simon