Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

YWCS

. New
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:13:02 pm »

dave.e

Re: SL-X Refurb
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:22:08 pm »
thanks for the tip YWCS i will try that the week end and hope it works because my slx is driving me nuts now  :( :( :( :( :(

stephen s

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:59:37 pm »
I got fed up one morning last week and came home early and decided it was about time I gave my (10 month old) SL-X a good clean etc.

Here's what I did:-

1. Strip pole - everything except clamps cos I am one of the few who have had no issues whatsoever with the clamps - removed what was left of the original markers.

2. good wash with hot soapy water

3. rinse well with pure. Dry.

4. use masking tape and that spray paint from B&Q to re-paint markers - 3 very very thin coats.
    30 mins between coats, leave for 1 hour before removing tape and moving on.

5. when dry, apply a good quality car wax to all sections and buff up.

6. re-assemble with new pole hose

The car wax seems to stop any carbon dust and the sections slide up and down effortlessly, and the clamps grip much better. It really feels like a new pole and it seems to be lasting well, its a week since I did it and when I got home today, my hands were still clean!!! I think if I give it a quick waxing every 3-4 weeks it will make a hell of a difference.

After doing this, I can see no reason why it won't last at least another 18-24 months. Which makes the initial cost seem much more attractive.

Caution - make sure the paint is very thin, I got one section a bit thick and had to carefully rub it down to get it to fit right.

Even if you have a newish one, I would recommend trying the wax as a way of protecting the carbon, if you do it from new, it will probably last even longer.

I would do the same only I have a life and you have an anorak  ;D

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:15:38 pm »
I got fed up one morning last week and came home early and decided it was about time I gave my (10 month old) SL-X a good clean etc.

1. Strip pole - everything except clamps cos I am one of the few who have had no issues whatsoever with the clamps - removed what was left of the original markers.

4. use masking tape and that spray paint from B&Q to re-paint markers - 3 very very thin coats.

The car wax seems to stop any carbon dust and the sections slide up and down effortlessly, and the clamps grip much better. It really feels like a new pole and it seems to be lasting well, its a week since I did it and when I got home today, my hands were still clean!!! I think if I give it a quick waxing every 3-4 weeks it will make a hell of a difference.

After doing this, I can see no reason why it won't last at least another 18-24 months. Which makes the initial cost seem much more attractive.

Caution - make sure the paint is very thin, I got one section a bit thick and had to carefully rub it down to get it to fit right.

Even if you have a newish one, I would recommend trying the wax as a way of protecting the carbon, if you do it from new, it will probably last even longer.

I would do the same only I have a life and you have an anorak  ;D

Stephen,

Those people with a life are living it; not sat behind a computer on a window cleaning forum (like me) taking the mick out of someone whose trying to help others out by explaining how to make an expensive investment last longer.

Personally, I'm a tight-wad and prefer the Harris Pole/Fishing Pole route; I have no stress issues with these poles what-so-ever!

stephen s

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:05:54 am »
like you tosh I was sat behind a pc screen,  however I had some lady friend giving stephens pole some proper care and attention.   its brilliant and she's still only on my first section  8)

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 12:08:15 am »
Let me fix your error

like you tosh I was sat behind a pc screen,  however I had some ladyboy friend giving stephens pole some proper care and attention.   its brilliant and he's still only on my first section  8)

stephen s

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 12:18:52 am »
see all that sitting behind the screen wasn't wasted you you mate  ;D

stephen s

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 09:38:15 am »
stephen,

i have just been looking at your previous posts. is there a reason that every post is full of smileys?

are you really a thirteen year old girl?

as for having a life, your stats show you spend every night posting on here.

And FYI it is a window cleaning forum (this bit anyway) for talk about window cleaning, but you must come here for fun, now that is sad!

oh bless you mate,  I'm really sorry if my smileys offend you but I thought this forum was like other forums were besides getting and giving information and passing on one's experience to the forum  I also thought it was a place to come and have a laugh with like minded people ?   how wrong I was

ooooh to be 13 again and a girl at that if only I had a time machine then I could travel back 18 months to when I was 13 smiley smiley smiley  ::)

I have to agree on one thing with you though your are so right as sitting in front of the pc posting is sad as you say  but do you know when you do the maths you have actually posted THREE TIMES the amount of posts as I have ?     does that make you THREE times more sad ?

but don't let it spoil your weekend mate or is it to late ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

just go and have a good boogie and feel good it always works for me  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

davids3511

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:18:26 am »
YWCS
Just ignore the arse. I for one appreciate the advise. Personally I am sick of 'the black hand of gardners' and the wear on the 500 quid SLX.

The van is in the garrage today and I will be making my way to halfords for some car wax to try this out. Thanks for the post.

davids3511

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:19:16 am »
like you tosh I was sat behind a pc screen,  however I had some lady friend giving stephens pole some proper care and attention.   its brilliant and she's still only on my first section  8)
Cringe.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 11:51:27 am »
why does everyone want to be a comedian, yet most fail miserably.

I am as up for a laugh as anyone, but your post was neither clever nor funny. I posted what I did cos over the last few months there has been lots of chat about the SL-x  and its pro's and con's. I thought this might help a few who were struggling with it. Silly me. I can see me going the same way as squeaky!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)                                ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)                                                                                          ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Carry on YWCS it confirms what others have recently discovered about cleaning the SLX. Good for you mate.

davids3511

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:17:19 pm »
Ewan, would something like a looser protecta ball do the same job?

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20:20 pm »

I may well try something like this myself after my poles come back.  I've decided to send both of my SLXs back to Gardiners for servicing and having new clamps fitted.  I've been using the allen key clamps and I've used up so much on the smallest clamp that it's now hard to tighten.  Indeed, I've pushed it so much, it may be prudent to have a couple of new no.1 sections.
Recently, I have been using the SLX with external pole hose to reduce grit inside the pole.  It's been easier adapting than I expected.  A bit of velcro a few inches down stops the pole hose ending up in the bristles and doesn't get in the way either so long as the no.1 section isn't fully collapsed.
The pole is a wonderful concept and has saved me from some physical strain as well as saving me a bit of ladder climbing.  I feel it would do better in the hands of someone who is less of a slob than I but maybe your tips in your post will be a help for me.
I'm sitting here having a rare day off due to rain with a cardboard tube by my door waiting for the Fedex driver.

dd

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 12:24:25 pm »
Is it OK to use a wax based polish on carbon? I know you are not supposed to on fibre glass as it breaks it down.

s.w.c

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 06:13:51 pm »
car polish interesting , i might try that

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 03:08:18 pm »
Put turtle wax on my pole over the weekend  ;D No seriously............Can't describe how well it performed today. Even better than when i first bought it. A blinkin mazing. No dirt, no friction. Go for it lads  :)

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 03:22:23 pm »
I'd even go so far as to say i owe ya a beer fella.  ;D It's indescribeable innit?

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 03:31:54 pm »
Ok.....it's a deal  ;D Seriously..........if my pole only needs a god waxing every couple o weeks, then it's worth doin. God this sounds dirtaaaaayy, doesn't it? :)