Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Injury from Wfp?
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:35:18 pm »
In the last week I've gained a very painful left shoulder.
It's come on gradually, not seemingly from an event, which is worrying.
Doesn't seem to hurt any any particular direction, so I'm fearing it's the joint. :(

Am I right in saying it's from having that left arm up in the air poling?
Trouble is, at this time of year I can't afford to not work.
Worse still, whilst doing a big fascia/gutters job today (which really hurt) I felt a twinge in the other shoulder. :-\

I work out at the gym twice a week, so I don't know if that's good in strengthening it, or helped to cause it...?

Anyone else have any experience of this, or help for me?

pingu

Re: Injury from Wfp?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:39:19 pm »
Go and see a chiropractor...it may help..works for me.

LWC

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:41:25 pm »
Go trad.

pingu

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:43:43 pm »
Trad is for girls...Squeaky could'nt hack that either ;)

david thomas

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 04:45:46 pm »
I have the same pain just between the shoulder and back muscle i've also have joined a gym go twice a week but I had the pain a month before starting the gym, when lifting weights I find this starts the pain but so does the w.f.p my doctor has told me to rest it but I can't afford the time off.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:00 pm »
I have the same pain just between the shoulder and back muscle i've also have joined a gym go twice a week but I had the pain a month before starting the gym, when lifting weights I find this starts the pain but so does the w.f.p my doctor has told me to rest it but I can't afford the time off.
Well exactly.
But then last time I had repetitive strain (from trad work!) I had over 4 weeks off in pain.
When I finally went back to work it started getting better...

Chiropractor couldn't help as it was swelling trapping a nerve.
Not sure if this is the same thing or not.

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:58:06 pm »
Is this pain in the same shoulder/place?

STEVE-UK

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:59:29 pm »
WFP can cause RSI of the shoulders

Also bench pressing is bad for you especially if pressing 100kgs or more as it changes your posture

if the pain is a burning feeling its more than likely an RSI
if you have a sharp pain when you raise your arm above shoulder height you could have a torn rotator cuff, this is down to the bench pressing

cozy

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 05:03:41 pm »
Why not go and see your doctor?

david thomas

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 05:04:50 pm »
sounds like I have RSI.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 05:07:48 pm »
why do u need to go the gym when ur poling all day?probably straining too much!im still trad but use a trad pole every day for quite a lot of windows in winter due to mossy/slippy surfaces.stretch before and after work and get ur girlfriend to give u a good massage!also are u rushing around like a headless chicken all day?maybe need to slow down?get a lighter pole?have a few days off?take ibuprofen with 2 paracetamol.works wonders!

best wishes dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 05:17:10 pm »
WFP can cause RSI of the shoulders

Also bench pressing is bad for you especially if pressing 100kgs or more as it changes your posture

if the pain is a burning feeling its more than likely an RSI
if you have a sharp pain when you raise your arm above shoulder height you could have a torn rotator cuff, this is down to the bench pressing
Nah, it's not a sharp pain, in fact it's not that painful.
Now if I put my arm behind my back, that's painful.
I'm not benching 100kg, but maybe 15 or 20 less on a good day.
Does feel like front delt area, but more sort of "inside". I'm sure it's the joint.

Is this pain in the same shoulder/place?
Yes it is, totally the same. Although today I did notice it outside of Chepstow too.

Dazmond...maybe a bit of all of them! Cheers.

Craig 72

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »

Sorry mate but that's nonsense.If you bench on the Smith machine it can cause RC damage as the bar is locked into a vertical plane.This can cause grief as you don't have to use the stabalising muscles which are needed to keep the bar steady when you freeweight bench.Freeweight bench is fine if your form is right,no matter how much you press.Not meaning to give it the big 'un but I've been benching 130-140kg for years now without grief.My mate benches 170 kg,again without probs.Exercises to avoid for bad shoulders-smith press as said,upright row,wide grip chins,behind neck press and weighted dips.All from experience,there's probably more.

geefree

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 05:22:08 pm »
what is your main pole squeaky,??

i had pain in shoulder, with a lump.

went to the doctors, told me it was the top of my collar bone , caused my repetetive friction,

told me to swap hands, change things around,

but the best thing i did was get a lighter pole (dave   ) ;D

and the difference is unbelievable, especially them windows over con roofs, where your arms drop off.

no pain anywhere now.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 05:33:23 pm »

Sorry mate but that's nonsense.If you bench on the Smith machine it can cause RC damage as the bar is locked into a vertical plane.This can cause grief as you don't have to use the stabalising muscles which are needed to keep the bar steady when you freeweight bench.Freeweight bench is fine if your form is right,no matter how much you press.Not meaning to give it the big 'un but I've been benching 130-140kg for years now without grief.My mate benches 170 kg,again without probs.Exercises to avoid for bad shoulders-smith press as said,upright row,wide grip chins,behind neck press and weighted dips.All from experience,there's probably more.
Well that's half my session done for... ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 05:34:53 pm »
what is your main pole squeaky,??

i had pain in shoulder, with a lump.

went to the doctors, told me it was the top of my collar bone , caused my repetetive friction,

told me to swap hands, change things around,

but the best thing i did was get a lighter pole (dave   ) ;D

and the difference is unbelievable, especially them windows over con roofs, where your arms drop off.

no pain anywhere now.
I've got various bits of zensor, gangster, superlite etc...it's all light stuff.

Craig 72

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »

I would suggest thats your problem mate.Those 3 exercises are murder for your rotator cuffs,which it sounds like where your trouble is.When I've had similar trouble in the past switching to dumbell work for a while has helped tremendously.

weetot

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 05:47:31 pm »
Stop goin' to the bleedin gym, don't you get enough excercise.   ;D

Its tennis bleedin elbow i cant get shot of....Pain factor when sitting around is 7 out of 10. :'(
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 05:54:23 pm »

I would suggest thats your problem mate.Those 3 exercises are murder for your rotator cuffs,which it sounds like where your trouble is.When I've had similar trouble in the past switching to dumbell work for a while has helped tremendously.
But it's not a sharp pain, and certainly never felt anything happen.
It's just come on over days...
Better leave the gym out completely for a week or two then. Shrinkage...great!

Craig 72

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 05:59:02 pm »
It sounds very similar to when I had grief mate.Came on slowly,started as a kind of ache then progessively got worse.At it's worst I would be up during the night in real bad pain.If you do nothing else I would switch those exercises.Just change Smith bench to freeweight or dumbell,upright rows (these really are bad for it) to shrugs and behind neck press to front press.