This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Lancaster

Re: Injury from Wfp?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 06:04:49 pm »
Could be Frozen Shoulder.  I had this when I was about 45 - the family thought it was hilarious as the dictionary said 'an affliction of the elderly'.

I went to the doctor who confirmed the diagnosis and put me on a course of treatment with Movelat cream (the full strength prescription version - over-the-counter stuff is just not effective)

I also bought a heat lamp and spent a few hours with it aimed at my shoulder - the problem cleared up after a week or so, but it can take up to a year or more in some cases.

dd

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 06:36:04 pm »
I was diagnosed with tendonitis in my right shoulder about 9 years ago from trad window cleaning and advised to "pace myself". I took a mineral supplement called Maximol from Neways and in a short time it cleared up (had the condition previously for a year or so and did not follow GPs advice to rest).

johns window kleen

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 07:09:25 pm »
Rub on loads of Tiger Balm, but make sure you wash your hands before you have a wee. ;D

weetot

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 07:19:55 pm »
Rub on loads of Tiger Balm, but make sure you wash your hands before you have a wee. ;D

Ooh painful.  ;D
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

dd

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 09:22:56 pm »
Just make sure the tiger is asleep when you do it.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 09:26:31 pm »
some of those things you do with little dumb bells can be bad, where you raise your hands from your sides...

Most weight lifters don't stretch.Put your hands behind you in the door jamb is a good one.As craig said the rotater cuff is really complex, but all you can do is stretch or rest.

weetot

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 10:10:35 pm »
I agree, but resting isnt for the self-employed.
I was told to do this for various ailments to do with window/carpetcleaning, but its not like you're still getting paid whilst taking time off, i would love to rest, but can't......................................................................................time for another career change.  :'(
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 11:22:23 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Feels like the other shoulder is starting to go that way pretty quickly too.
Really starting to feel it tonight.
Both at once! How unfair. I need to work! :(

Window Washers

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 11:41:18 pm »

Squeaky im having physio for this at the moment has been going on for weeks now, on sunday it brought me to my knees.

it started as a slight burning feeling in my shoulder, for weeks it was there but working 7 days a weeks I knew was not helping just did not have a choice I needed to get stuff done.

Anyway, I found out that using wfp you joints can and will start to move out of place and start to rub because we use wfp your doing all move ment forward same with benching again forward push or up forward if laying, so need to do opposite to help it. one way to help this is to do the opposite I have some  (unsure if spelt right) terra band which is just like a very think rubber band, it is on my stair post I pull this back past my body keeping straight this helped stop the shoulder burn 10 times 3 times a day, I then just got pain in shoudler disk bulge or nerve trapped as from the start I could not bend my head down ear to shoulder as was stiff. this is starting to go now, but went from one shoulder to the other, resting it like the doctor said would have made me even tighter than I am already feeling as we over compensate for injury like this....

If you can see a physio I would try this, anti inflamators are very good heat is not good for an inflamed injury altough it feels great, I got told off  is meant to be cold to shrink inflamation heat causes things to swell.....

This annoyed me because I thought I was clever getting my back heatpads.

If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Tosh

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 12:07:01 am »

Looking at the weather forecast it looks like we've got Monday off too; so you've got four straight days of rest.  I'd suggest that you don't do the gym and start taking some anti inflamitories.  Then pace yourself; don't overdo it; work a longer day but take it more easy.

And there's no point in worrying about what may or may not happen in the future; 99% of our worries never come to fruition; it just wastes energy.

Have you thought about meditating?   ;D  One of the fringe benifits is that you sit in an upright position for ten minutes, and this in itself has a positive effect on your physical health.  There's a course on a Wydean school; it's free; though the last class in on Wednesday.  Its really good!

dd

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 06:56:36 am »
Meditation is good. It helps let go of stress. We unconsciously hold onto stresses in our body which in turn lead to more apparent physical problems. Yoga is also good at releasing stresses though you would want to avoid pushing it too far.

Who knows, you may even become enlightened.

Craig 72

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 07:42:10 am »

Again,that happened to me mate.When one shoulder went,the other on followed,and they would seem to alternate when they were playing up bizarrely.Like the guys say,with the weather so shocking rest up for a few days,gym included.From my experience you won't lose too much in the way of gains if you take a week or two off and even if you do they'll come back in no time.I can't stress enough though how naughty those exercises I mentioned are.When you do train again I would lighten up the weights a bit and like I say,switching from bar work to dumbell for a month or two worked miracles.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 08:39:28 am »
Thanks again, and interesting words from Ian. I thought heat hurt more afterwards...
Knowing how long doctors take, I've decided to go to minor injuries at the hospital this afternoon and see what they say.

Can't have today off I'm afraid as I've got bills to pay, and monday is commercial work, but at least that's trad and I can just carefully squeegee with the better arm.

elite mike

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 10:59:40 am »
hi rog

cod liver oil

lots of sardines ,mackerel etc

works for me,and as tosh keeps saying , ime a lot older than you ;D

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 11:56:12 am »
Squeaky,

I have had the same problem for about 2-3 months and went to the doctors. She sent me to Physio and it was explained that it was some sort of inflammation caused by RSI Arthritis or tendonitis. The only real help is to change the way we work!! Bit difficult really, I had a week trad last week and as it is my ladder arm I felt the same amount of pain as with WFP. Rest is another option but like you I too have bills.

I am seriously looking into re-training as no matter how I work the problem will be there. Anti-inflammatories do help but are not a long term solution. It's not frozen shoulder as with that there will be no movement at all. However, it will only get worse if you don't get it sorted.

All the best

Stuart

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:20 pm »
Cheers Stuart. I think you're spot on.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 12:26:53 pm »
hi rog

cod liver oil

I do eat sardines and pilchards to help with my protein intake anyway.

A lot of customers suggest Glucausamine rather than cod liver oil.
Builds up the padding round the joint apparently and works wonders.

trevor perry

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:24 pm »
do stretches every morning before starting work this not only helps get your muscles prepared for the days work but also is a way of releasing trapped nerves weights are good for building the muscles for using heavier poles, i use weights every day and curl and press 20kg weights in each hand for 200 reps every night as long as you stretch and warm up before doing heavy sessions you shouldn have any problems.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

matt

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 12:34:45 pm »
hi rog

cod liver oil

I do eat sardines and pilchards to help with my protein intake anyway.

A lot of customers suggest Glucausamine rather than cod liver oil.
Builds up the padding round the joint apparently and works wonders.

i use Glucausamine ( well the veggie alternative ) , i have used it for years, i also take flaxseed oil ( veggie alternative to cod liver oil )

do they work ? ? ?  ? i dont know, but for the few quid they cost its worth a try

dai

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »
One of the first things we learned trad was to be ambidextrous. We learn to be comfortable using either hand to do the job. We could easily learn to do WFP the same, but because we don't need to, we don't. I'm as guilty as the next guy where this is concerned, must make more of an effort to lead with my right hand.
I often get pain between the shoulder blades, so it's a back problem.
Ibuprofen is an excellent anti inflammatory, available over the counter, and cheaper than chips. Try taking the maximum dose for a couple of weeks, it takes a while before anti inflammatories kick in.
Hope your better soon.